Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Willys PU build....from sedan panels.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, Apr 22, 2012.

1. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Last meeting of the season was the Hot Rod Drags this past weekend and we were racing with the Gasser Circus, I've been having problems trying to get the piecrusts to hook up so et's and consistency have suffered.
    The simple solution was to leave in 2nd gear which stopped the tires from spinning and still gave me a 1.7 60ft.
    Went all the way to the final running 11.50's but broke out running an 11.46 @ 120mph :( but overall can't be too disappointed, there may still be a chance to go to a couple of test n tune days before the season comes to an end to try and take another tenth or two off.
    Think next season the piecrusts may give way to some new M/T's.
    Heres a small video clip of burnouts from the weekend, we're at around the 4.50 mark.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=3&v=mPuEhj7xnXg

loudbang likes this.
  2. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Man that burnout looked good I just wish I could get my pie crusts to smoke that good

3. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Had to run them at 20psi to flatten them out, the top surface was pretty concave. Getting flatter now so maybe I can let them down a touch.

4. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Only 20 psi crap man I have to run mine at 35 or they are flat lol what brand are yours one thing for sure when I do a burnout there is a nice solid contact pattern on the road 10" wide less the two cheater grooves In them mine are from towel city and they hook good when I do a real good burnout they just don't smoke at all

5. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Saw this run at the weekend,awesome truck. Love it.

6. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Randy,
    Mine are M/T Radirs, nice tires but really stiff sidewall don't think they'll ever hook hard enough to pull the front wheels so thats why they might have to go before next season.;)

7. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks jyg, shoulda come and said hello we had plenty of time to bs on Saturday with the crap weather.

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I've got the 900-15's Ray and they stand up with only 8 psi in them as the sidewalks are so stuff, glad to see you had a good weekend and saw improvements

9. Thanks for the video Ray in one way but a big " damn you " in another as I really regret selling my little Anglia now after watching all those neat street legal tubbed Anglia's lighting those tyres. Your truck looked cool to as did the other Willy's there. I was so impressed with the high number of American cars in the line up, Hot Rodding and Street machines are doing well in England. I loved the Triumph Herald and the little Austin A30 bodied racer.
    How difficult is it to legalize a left hand drive American Muscle car in the UK for normal street use ?

10. loudbang

loudbang

Looks like they need to work on the levelness burnout area just a tad. That kind of sideways antics would get the car/driver bounced on this side of the pond. :eek: And it's very hard on some suspensions too.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Very easy Whip, just register it and away you go

12. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Time to start working on a few upgrades for the truck now the winter approaches.
    First thing I wanted to do was change out the drop tube for a straight axle, I made one from 2" o/d x 1/4" wall dom tubing during the year and have finally got around to finishing it off with shock mounts and new top plates for the springs.
    Trial fitted it today and am pleased with the look, it's raised the front only an 1" or so as the original axle had blocks under the springs.
    Next job will be to make some aluminum hubs to replace the old Chevy ones which will look a whole lot nicer and will lose a few pounds too :)
    SDC13154.JPG SDC13157.JPG SDC13123.JPG SDC13276.JPG SDC13282.JPG

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    catdad49, loudbang, dmorago and 4 others like this.
  13. Hey Langy and 9sectruck You guys kick out some great work, thought I would let you know I have a new thread called Willys Owners, stop by and post your cars and a line about them. I look forward to checking out the new thing's you guys come up with on your Willys Rides. Keep up the great work!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

langy and 9sectruck like this.
  14. todztoyz

todztoyz

A burnout video....what a way to enjoy my morning coffee! Excellent.

15. 9sectruck

9sectruck

The material arrived for the front hubs.
    I had a bit of spare time so spent a few hours copying the old cast steel Chevy units in nice lightweight aluminium, I decided to double drill them to take Ford & Chevy PCD to give me a better choice of front wheel selection.
    Look a whole lot better than the originals and over half the weight too.
    Just need to make some caps for end to keep the grease in and the dirt out etc.
    SDC13301.JPG SDC13307.JPG SDC13308.JPG SDC13309.JPG

16. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

wow, thats very nice .......

9sectruck likes this.
  17. Yeah, absolutely lovely machine work, will cut seconds off the ET.

9sectruck likes this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

Wow that is some nice work more details on how you did it and the type of machines used would be great.

19. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

So how much do the new ones weigh vrs the old ones?
    Looking good!

20. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks for the compliment, I forgot to take pics while machining these but just used normal machinery, I have a Colchester Chipmaster Lathe and a Bridgeport EZtrak Mill that I use in my everyday business as I have a small home engineering machine shop. Heres a pic.
    P1020033 (1080 x 810).jpg

They weigh around half the originals , just a couple of lbs each.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    loudbang likes this.
  21. Amazes me to see someone machine theirs own hubs at home, beyond my backyard building skills. Nice job !

loudbang and 9sectruck like this.
  22. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Got the hubs fitted up on the spindles and made some dust caps to match the taper on the outside and I'm really pleased with the way they turned out, not a fan of billet so may get them bead blasted to give a cast look..........not sure because once the disc and wheel is fitted the only part showing is the end protruding through the wheel center.
    My new steering arms from Speedway showed up so I bought some rod ends and made a tie rod, had to shorten the drag link slightly and then trial fitted everything, all seems to work OK so now strip it back down and give it a coat of paint. SDC13320.JPG SDC13319.JPG

23. Very, very nice!

9sectruck likes this.
  24. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Cheers Kev, preparing for some wheelies :) chipping away at it one piece at a time.
    Glad you approve.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Those hubs look amazing as does the whole Truck. Pity it is winter over there but it won't be long before your couple of days of summer arrive.

9sectruck likes this.
  26. 9sectruck

9sectruck

It's like Springtime here at the moment high 50's very unseasonal, our two days of summer will probably be a weekend when theres no racing !!:rolleyes:

whiplash1923T likes this.
  27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

28. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Very cool truck.

9sectruck likes this.
  29. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks Shooter54 love the look of your truck too.

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Nice job Ray, funnily enough I just ordered some ally bar to do the very same job on my truck, spooky

9sectruck likes this.