Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Major damage 1954 Ford Victoria Crestline Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by VonMoldy, Sep 14, 2015.

1. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Lots of work to do! But I want focus on the positive! It has good wheels tires suspension solid FE drive train and disc brake conversion in the front. The rest of the metal is in pretty decent shape and all the trim is in good shape. P9061297.JPG P9061296.JPG
    It hit a bollard on the door and tweaked the firewall and rocker it will be fun taking something this damaged and getting back together.
    Would love to make it a mild custom. Like the Gary Howard/Jimmy Vaughn '54.
    So excited about this project went overboard visualizing what I want to do I made this.
    Taken from an old Ford ad.
    [​IMG]

2. What is a bollard? Need to know so I can steer clear of them with Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup. Whatever a bollard is, it appears to be capable of doing some damage to old sheet metal.

SJ13, Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. 56longroof

56longroof

Whatever it is they look dangerous.

lothiandon1940 and VonMoldy like this.

4. thehazguy

thehazguy

A bollard is a short vertical post. Originally it meant a post used on a ship or a quay, principally for mooring. The word now also describes a variety of structures to control or direct road traffic, such as posts arranged in a line to obstruct the passage of motor vehicles.
    upload_2015-9-14_21-55-14.jpeg

5. How does someone go about running into one of those hard enough to do that kind of damage.

I'm looking forward to watching this car come together. HRP

lothiandon1940 and VonMoldy like this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, it was assembled from parts when originally manufactured, no reason it can't be repaired with some replacement pieces. Looking forward to seeing in progress and finished photos.

Ray

7. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

When going for a test drive the kid who owned it was driving and was trying to show off how fast the mystery FE engine is and slid on ice hitting the bollard. It was then bought for much cheaper than he was asking!

I need to take photos I never do that with my projects.

Jet96 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

This is my thinking and it looks a ton worse than it really is. New floorpan rocker and toe board and mostly there. Just need to find a 54 ford fender and a door. Kinda like a puzzle but more fun cuz more welding.

lothiandon1940 and RICH B like this.
  9. Fedman

Fedman

It looks like you have yourself a really nice 54 with a great discount!:p
    Love the 52-54's!

VonMoldy likes this.
  10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

VonMoldy likes this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

By the way , pretty clever modification of that old Ford ad......I never cease to be amazed at what is possible in the digital world ! :)

Ray

Atwater Mike likes this.
  12. 56longroof

56longroof

X2 on the add. Too bad old Henry didn't offer them that way.

13. aaggie

aaggie

Have you considered finding another car with clapped out suspension and driveline and swap bodies? It would be easier and cheaper than all that body work.

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Maybe, maybe not.......cherry 1954 Ford bodies aren't out there for the picking.

Even if there are, where's the challenge in that? :D

Ray

Texas57 and shivasdad like this.
  15. I see,one of those "Hey y'all,watch this" moments,they usually have less than desirable results. HRP

RiotPirate and VonMoldy like this.
  16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

As the previous owner (and present!) of many '54 Fords, (11 all told, and all Coupes!) I applaud your enthusiasm. The Vics are beautiful.
    And, I can validate the boost in performance the FE affords. That kid must have been surprised, all that in a split second...(compared to the docile 239 he had pulled out!)
    My present '54 Coupe has a fresh 406 FE going together, backed by a '68 Mercury Marauder 3 speed close ratio top loader, with a Jeep tower and stick; Real floor shift, without the broken gear worries.
    These cogs are 1.5 times the width of my LaSalles.
    Rear is a 9 inch from a '62 Ford F100, 3.90 ratio.
    Sorry for the ramble, just like to share the options that Ford had for us in the 'golden years'...

BTW, the FE was designed a few years before its inception in the 332 C.I. version in Police Interceptors in 1957.
    1953, the Special Projects team (prior to being coined that) installed a 352 Prototype engine in a '53 Ford sedan, for track testing. The engineers took it down Woodard Ave. and promoted some 'hot runoffs', and surprised everybody down there. The car ran 'like a bomb', and swiftly went back under wraps. Never read any more, but quite a discovery...('Secret weapon'...LOL)

VonMoldy likes this.
  17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - looks like something from one of those "reality check" shows. Winter always good time for showing off. looks like someone put some time and money into it. have fun. be sure to check ads here, and post a Wanted Ad - if you do not work deal with Chris or JeffB2 check out craigslist in Salt Lake -ad: 1954 Ford Coupe w/parts car included - maybe can work a deal for parts.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    VonMoldy likes this.
  18. Nice! I love 52-54 Fords. I have a decent 53 Vic that will be for sale cheap in the next few weeks

[​IMG]

VonMoldy likes this.
  19. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Like others, I really like the changes made to the ad. WOW

20. dtracy

dtracy

Who cut out the door post and floor before they had the replacement parts in hand? Did they align the body before they cut it apart? Did it break the windshield?

Dave.

Hnstray likes this.
  21. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

In the early 60's my brother-in-law had a 54 Ford with the stock engine. over the winter he replaced it with an FE that the Burdick race team had run at Daytona the year before. didn't change anything on the outside of the car so it was quite the sleeper.

22. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I think this one has a 390 and a four barrel should be pretty quick. It is a bummer about the FE that you can't really tell what you have unless it still has a tag or you measure the stroke.

23. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

The windshield frame wasn't affected at all I measure the opening and it is square the windshield wasn't cracked or anything. My dad is the one who did the cutting I don't know why I would have tried to push it out with a porta power. Maybe he just assumed we would have to be using a donor car.

I have all the parts to get it back together except a door and a fender Kinda the more important parts though. I got EMS rocker inner and outer and the floor and toe board. I figure it will be accurate enough to measure the door opening make sure its square and the door gaps are proper and the fender fits up well. Then just a matter of welding it up. I have factory manuals to help as well.

24. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

That is a nice looking car. I wish I had the money or the space for it!

25. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

26. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

A little progress!
    Got some doors. Were told they were 52 convertible doors but they look identical to the stock 54 hardtop doors. $100 for two. It looks like the vent wing assemblies are identical. I took measurements of the height and they measure the same. They are in great condition no serious dents or rust no previous crappy bodywork. They will need some rust repair patches in the front bottom corners but no big deal. Having the drivers door is essential to getting everything fitted together correctly.

Attached Files:

27. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Good deal! I'm rooting for you to put this baby back together as good as new!

Ray

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  28. Fedman

Fedman

Getting a nice door is a good hurdle to be over!
    Keep the updates coming!

29. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Thanks guys, can't wait to make some progress on it.