Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Door hinges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tnich123, Sep 13, 2015.

1. tnich123

tnich123

Ok so its time to remove the doors on the truck. I have soaked them for days with penetrating oil and used a hammer impact to shock them but no give. Before I get the drill out any more suggestions and if/when I resort to the drill am I just going to drill the head off first.

2. Heat will do the job. HRP

3. bodymanmp

bodymanmp

weld a bolt on them,the heat from welding will help loosen them up and you can use a wrench to take them off

4. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Slow heat the bolt or screw head with a small tip on the torch tell red. Back off and let the heat go through. Do this a few cycles, let the bolt cool to just below red, and the bolt will practically fall in your lap.

5. 29moonshine

29moonshine

mix some automatic trans fluid with acetone 50/50 spray on the bolts and let set over night. works great

6. junkman8888

junkman8888

Before you try pounding out the pins you should always grind off any excess sticking down below the hinge, that will keep you from mushrooming the pin and locking it in place. I've tried every "miracle cure" there with limited success, always seem to end up drilling most of them out, a lot of times because the pin locks up in the center part of hinge and shears off. When that happens no amount of soaking or heat will free it. I usually center punch and drill out the top first using some extra long #30's (about 10" long). This allows me to "whip drill" the pin if I can't get the drill perpendicular to the hinge. Wish there was an easier way but there isn't.

7. I like to use wax and heat. Apply wax to the bolt after you heat it. Let it cool, then heat again, the heat draws the wax into the threads.

8. Hinge mounting bolts or hinge pin?

9. tnich123

tnich123

No its the 3 bolts that hold the door hinges to the body

10. good luck....!....they're a bitch.....

11. if it gets to the point of drilling them out, you will not be able to just drill the head off. the screws go through the door jamb and thread into the hinge but protrude through the other side through a hole in the "inner" jamb. it will be loose, but still won't come out. you will have to drill straight through the center using a #7 drill, or smaller.

12. aaggie

aaggie

There was a tech article on here a few years ago with a suggestion that had some merit. The guy welded a hex nut around a large Phillips screw driver blade then welded a sleeve on the end that would accept the straight shaft of a air chisel. put the sleeve on the air chisel shaft then a box end wrench on the nut. Now put the Phillips in the screw slot and as you hold and push the chisel turn the wrench to loosen the screws. I haven't tried it but it sounds like it would work and I would have yet another special tool for the collection.

13. atch

atch

SamIyam's thread

14. 5w30

5w30
    from oregon

This is the one i made and worked on my A but you must keep tool oiled to get the full action!
    IMG_0629.JPG

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    tb33anda3rd likes this.