Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So how long does it take to make a dadgum frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Sep 12, 2015.

1. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

like i said it all depends on what he wants. of course a bare perimeter frame with no brackets would be a faster job, the last basic hot rod chassis from 2x4 tube i did was 14 days 7 days a week. that was start to finish. full roller with motor and trans installed. time is dependent on details and options

3wLarry and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd get a set of JW rails or a real set of originals. You know they fit, and look better than 2x4 tubing. Bob

3wLarry likes this.
  3. 168 hrs @ $60/hr = $10080 plus materials. not saying thats not fair.
    Larry, the s-10 chassis looking better isn't it?:eek::D

blowby and 3wLarry like this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No S-10 Chassis allowed. :eek: The original builder of that T would roll over in his grave :D

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you're funny...
    you want me to go down and spend thousands of $$$ to buy every piece of equipment I would need to build this one car and then spend how many years learning how to use all that equipment correctly to build it myself, when I can hire a fab shop like yours to do it for me?...I have no desire to own a fab shop.
    If it wasn't for customers like me, you wouldn't be in business.

6. What's wrong with the frame that came with it?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

was sold years ago before I got it, all I got was the body

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have never regretted buying any welders. They are a LOT cheaper than paying other people, waiting on other people, then ending up with something made by other people thats not what you wanted

brad2v and 3wLarry like this.
  9. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

OMG Now look what you have done.

volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And the answer is........take up quilting, if that doesn't pan out, there's always bingo.

jerseyboy, da34guy, bct and 7 others like this.
  11. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ThreeWL if I was in your back yard I'd come help you in a heart beat.
    From a previous thread, when I was looking at your pile of parts and noticed the shop vac and not the frame horn of a model A frame....you still have that frame?
    Larry

3wLarry likes this.
  12. Larry, you just order a frame and sit patiently waiting till it shows up. The haul ass and get the car together.

TCI will put a complete rolling chassis with all parts included in your driveway for under 10gs.

3wLarry likes this.
  13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Larry, get yourself over and help the poor old 75 yr. old knock out a frame for you. You might have it done in 3 weeks (or 5 if you're no damn help at all-hee hee). Seriously, it never hurts to hang out at another shop. You may learn enough to want to take up welding for your next project.

Or call Speedway and have them truck freight one to your driveway next week for about $2500 and make a few mods to it.

Model T1 and 3wLarry like this.
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Try limeworks speed shop, they may have some time.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Maybe Steve can JB WELD it.

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

3wLarry likes this.
  17. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

That's funny.

18. :)

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

Stick to your guns and get what you want, Larry. Thing is, a 32 chassis is less custom than what is in your head but can be had faster. I say throw out the 6 month deadline and go after what you want.

3wLarry likes this.
  20. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Larry;
    Did you ever consider Chip, aka NeedLouvers? He's sorta close, & would do a killer job, iffen he'd take the job on. Bet he'd know what you're talking about & want, just w/a ph conversation. Worth considering. Not in same state, but it'd be worth the haul over there. A friend in the Chicago-area could do it, but I doubt it'd be fast. Damn good, though. FWIW.
    Marcus...

21. G. Anderson

G. Anderson
    from MN.usa

With an attitude like that, I would turn you away at the door.

We gathered all the equipment for our OWN use.
    So we DON'T have to go to anybody else!

Your Pal, Gary

hugh m, volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is going to one great reality TV show. Bob

23. Budget36

Budget36

I see the conversation like this...

3WL: "hi, can you make me a frame?"
    Gary: "What, don't you have the tools and experience to do it yourself?"
    3WL: "No, that's why I'd like to pay you to do it"
    Gary: "No soup (frame) for you!!!"

24. oj

oj

This what you have in mind?
    A Model A frame reshaped to Model T bucket, front rails swept & pinched, frame reshaped so the seats have pockets and the rear suspension is quarter elipticals? This what you have in mind, a chassis built so you can sit in the channeled bucket and look thru the windshield instead of over it? With hemi motormounts?

Attached Files:

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Building a proper frame is not as easy as it sounds, there are a lot of things to take into account before you cut the first piece of steel. You need the wheelbase worked out, what suspension is going under it, what engine is used, room for the body and bed to fit, transmission mounts, etc, etc. To do all that you need the components being used on hand and a lot of time to engineer the layout.

As the guys said, if a person has never done one it might seem so easy, but once you do build one from scratch you realize it takes a lot more thought, work , and time than you ever realized. Personally, I think your 6 month timeframe is very unrealistic, especially since you can't do the work yourself. Any time I have had to use someone else I have run into delay after delay, it just happens.

Don

26. louisb

louisb

Dagel is offering original style chanel model A frame rails. Might be a good place to start instead of tubing. Just another option to 32 rails.

--louis

3wLarry likes this.
  27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love this. Shops are too busy. I repeat, shops are too busy. But wait a minute, the economy is in the shitter and nobody can afford rent or groceries!

Back on topic, get it done by your favorite source. A month? That's nothing!! In that month how much more can be done peripheral to getting it on wheels? Any paint and body repairs? Any trim work? How about an engine (which I'd think you really MUST HAVE along with the trans to build a CHASSIS)? Will you tap your toe waiting and then sweat out the rest of the build once it arrives? And you've also been told to go with the Deuce rails by several, but I didn't see a reason why you won't/don't. If it's in the thread where you got the car (which is a beyond bitchin story) I haven't been back to it. Since I can't shoot that far (you asked) I thought I'd shoot some alternative thinking your way seasoned with shop/deadline experience and having watched many a project go 24 different and silly directions causing undue expense and years at the end of those involved lives, when some simple dedication, discipline and a concrete plan would have netted the same thing better and faster. If this helps, all the better. If you're insulted or offended, well, sorry as that's not my intent. Good luck with your new Deuce rails:cool:

Model T1, lurker mick, brad2v and 5 others like this.
  28. ...................................I don't see anywhere that Larry is bitching or complaining, merely trying to get a feel for just what it takes time wise to build the frame he needs. I find your reasoning condescending and not really helpful at all. Like myself, Larry isn't a young man anymore, and to consider at this stage of life the purchase of equipment to build this frame, not to mention acquiring the appropriate skills to build it safely, just a little unlikely. Not all of us are as fortunate to have been so immersed in this hobby over the years to have accumulated the aforementioned tools and skills. That said, we still enjoy this endeavor and if it means we have to contract some or all of a build out to others, so be it.

cptn60, i.rant, Model T1 and 4 others like this.
  29. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

truth is, I've always envied guys like you on this board that can do it all.

thanks guys...I'll just go sit in the corner and patiently wait for my frame to be built

kidcampbell71, clem, Model T1 and 4 others like this.
  30. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Just call "Overhaulin", Chip and his A team will have the whole car done in a week.