Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Gentleman's Coupe...Bob Hilton is busy again.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wex65, Sep 23, 2014.

1. dmorago

dmorago

Just found this tread. I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. My wife thinks I'm looking at triple xxx pics. I think HAMB is more addictive and now my day is the crapper. Love this stuff.

2. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

wex65
    Talked to you a little on Saturday at Syracuse, my 31 was parked about 100 ft from yours. I didn't realize that the car I was looking at Saturday was one of the builds I had been following last winter. Your car is fantastic. I wanted to ask you about your snap on top insert, I saw that it was not rolled up when it was on the ground under your car. Is it just vinyl with snaps or does it have some type of rigid backing? Went back to ask you Saturday but you were gone.

3. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Sorry I missed you. Saturday I parked out in the crowd as they used lot F for a designer award, we were back in there on Sunday for the winners circle.

I don't roll the roof up too tightly or it might crease. It is padded but not rigid. I will be in Louisville in 2-3 weeks. If you are there make sure to stop by and I will demonstrate.

4. wex65

wex65
    from WV

If you like the photos above you HAVE to check out TRJ (#67) out in a couple of weeks...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. .......................Will be looking forward to the coverage.:)............Please tell me again, Paul, who did your interior. I know you told me at the Jalopy Showdown but I forgot:(. My pal, Tom is getting ready to embark on a Model "A' on '32 frame (from Pete & Jakes) build and he (and I) were very much impressed with the interior work on yours............Thanks, Don...............................If I missed that info in this thread, forgive me.:)

6. patman

patman

Saw the car early Sunday in the winners circle at Syracuse. Very nice!!!

It sounds cliché, but pictures don't do it justice.

Attached Files:

wex65 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. It is special for sure.

wex65 likes this.
  8. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Thanks, the interior does get a lot of attention.

It was done by Mike Lippencott, he goes by mikeyseats on Instagram and you can find him here - https://instagram.com/mikeyseats/

The guy is an absolute wizard when it comes to leather. I know Bob Hilton thinks highly of him and continues to send him cars.

Check out this small sample of what he does in his "down time" whilst relaxing. Like I said, a wizard. Based up in NJ.
    mikey.png

9. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Thanks man. My favorite recent photo of the car was actually taken by Bobbie Hilton last week at my place. He traveled an hour each way just to check the car was 100% before I made the trip to Syracuse. THAT shows what kind of guy he is for anyone wondering whether to entrust him with a build.

Looking forward to supporting him and Tony over at Ross Racing Engines (another gent) in Louisville in 3 weeks. Starting to think the Gentleman's Coupe is really apt name because each of the guys that worked on it are true gents.

11421848_916612591717633_1671720548_n.jpg

10. ...............................Thanks so much. His work is extraordinary...........Don.

11. dmorago

dmorago

Did you or someone mention you have a removeable roof cover of sorts? I would like to see some pics of that. Interesting concept as the wood ribbing is neat to show and is cool in the breeze. But, on occasion, it's nice to have a top on. I love this tread. Dick M.

tony starr likes this.
  12. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I will grab some photos at the weekend. I was surprised at how many in Syracuse were taking close up shots of the roof to try to replicate it.

lothiandon1940 and tony starr like this.
  13. seatex

seatex

BEEYOUTEEFULL

14. oj

oj

I saw the advanced copy of TRJ #67 last week, they really treat all you guys with the dignity and respect those cars deserve. It is very well done. Congratulations, again.

daddio211, wex65 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. aplayer

aplayer

Any idea where you'll park in Louisville? Would love to see this car.

16. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Nope, to be honest I checked out their website abut don't see almost any detail other than the dates. Don't have a clue what lots there are. I will be there Thurs-Sun and will post something in here once parked on site in case you are able to drop by.

17. aplayer

aplayer

Thanks. I'll be looking. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

18. aplayer

aplayer

So impressed with this car. Thanks for the tour. Pics really don't do it justice! Just a great selection of parts and fine workmanship.

19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

love the timber, subscribed

20. Who said the Model A is the poor man's Deuce? This is definitely evidence that the Gentleman's Coupe is a masterpiece of Hot Rod. My sincere respect Sir.

lothiandon1940 and wex65 like this.
  21. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Thanks, I have never understood that saying myself although I have heard it several times. In the past I have owned a 32 but I far prefer the Model A coupe. Actually sold a roadster to buy this car.

Wait till you see the next Hilton Hot Rods creation...blown nailhead....coming to a Detroit Autorama near you.

22. ...............We shall be waiting with much anticipation.:)

23. That colour is understated, but absolutely WORKS! Perfection.

24. LTM75110

LTM75110

Spent a lot of time looking at all the Hilton cars,at the LSRU. It`s hard to say which is my favorite now,All are great in their own way.

25. Genes12320

Genes12320

It looks great. I would love to see some details on that snap off roof also. Is it watertight?

toad611 likes this.
  26. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

N I C E........would be an understatement...........

27. YJ4000

YJ4000

Ain't that the truth! ^

28. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I will try to upload something this weekend to show it...

Yes, pretty much water tight. I had an issue on the trip to Austin but that was user error (I didn't fasten it all up!). Stays dry as a bone whilst on the road and doesn't flap as there is a central reinforcement strip which fastens to one of the wooden crossbows. As those that have seen the car on the move will tell you, I like removing the top when driving around town and only have it on for long trips.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Looking forward to having it back on the highway down to Louisiana in 3 weeks.

29. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Here you go. Shows the detail I think you are after.
    IMG_1295.JPG

30. Genes12320

Genes12320

Thanks I am building a A coupe now and love that idea.