Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spindle wheels and brakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 345, Sep 8, 2015.

1. 345

from Michigan

Now I realize that spindle wheels were really designed for the strip and so trying to fit brakes to them might seem like stupidity to some of you but I don't care.

Has anyone seen Spindle mount american racing wheels adapted to mate up to Buick finned drums?

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Ain't gona happen !! Offsets are all wrong,even if you could mount the drum to the wheel the drum would overhang the spindle .

falcongeorge likes this.
  4. Not possible, but I have seen pictures of motor cycle disc brakes mounted on america 12 spokes.

falcongeorge likes this.

5. Either the drum/hub goes on the spindle or the wheel does. Can't have both and even if it was possible the Buick drums would be significantly wider from fin tips to wheel face than the actual wheel width itself, it wouldn't look right at all. All out of proportion.

falcongeorge likes this.
  6. 345

from Michigan

I think we can declare this one closed! Thanks for your input!

7. pnevells

pnevells

Radir 18 inch spokes spindle mounts are drilled for a rotor, there are some pics of them on his website, we have them on our altered without using brakes, i have seen altereds at the track using the brakes onthese wheels

8. Not buick drums but I have seen them with brake rotors attached and a caliper.

9. This isn't a cheap set up at all.
    They are all brand new parts on the shelf. Make the call drop the dough and stick them on your car. Inspired by the American racing 5 spokes spindle mounts. But these are aluminum.
    image.jpg

These 10 spokes are made to replicate the essence of the old mag AR 12 spoke wheels. They bolt up to anything. Love em or hate em
    image.jpg

10. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

DSC09289 (1).JPG it's impossible, can't be done.

snopeks garage likes this.
  11. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A set of those newer ten spokes might work but I'd think they would still be spaced out in the land of silly looking on Finned Buick drums killing the look you are after.

lurker mick likes this.
  13. Pm sent.

Now how's that for buick drums and spindle mounts :)

14. the chassis shop in michigan offers the complete set up. they also have chromoly forged anglia spindles. i just bought the whole setup for my car. look them up on line. they have a online catalog with pics. high quality parts.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Those aren't 12 spokes, but WAAAAY more important, those aren't finned Buick drums.
    Guys have been putting discs on spindle-mount wheels since three days before forever. Mounting them to buick drums is a VERY different kettle of fish. I wont even comment on how stupid it'll look...

16. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, 31V;
    Stupid Q, but who make those 5spokes in the 1st pic you posted? Newly manufactured?
    Those look real close to my favorite front wheel... :) .
    TIA.
    Marcus...

17. rooman

rooman

They are the current American Racing version of their original spindle mount five spoke.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aps-48553s/overview/
    The ones on the orange hemi powered "A" are the same wheel with the spokes painted. They come drilled on the back side of the hub to mount racing style brake rotors. The 37 in the first photo has a set of "street" type calipers with big brake pads while the "A" has the little Airheart style single puck race deal. The new ones were originally made only to suit Anglia or Strange style spindles so either these guys have reworked them to suit early Ford or American have expanded their offerings.

Roo

18. Yep American racing pro line on the mustard color car. I'll let tricky steve tell you that his are the original Mag wheels on the orange car. The "Strange" spindle is camaro, so if you can figure out how to get camaro hubs onto a ford axle, the process is the same for these wheels. It costs about 3000.00 retail to run that set up.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I LOVE the underhood detail on that car, especially the cast iron paint on the Corvette valve covers. Really looks good. I was actually thinking about copying the look on my daily.
    IMG_20150911_0001.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Google:
    Ryan Reed 37 Ford and enjoy.
    Saw this car at CHRR, it's a knockout.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its very nicely detailed. Not really a "traditional" look IMO, but very "mechanical" and subdued, I really like the way he used color and texture. I was going to do the ATF/heat deal on the new headers, I think it would blend well with his use of cast metal paint tones, and combine to give a more hard-assed circle track racer look. I just gotta figure if its really worth spending money on underhood eye-wash on something I really treat pretty roughly. I would have to buy corvette valve covers, breathers, spacers, black braided hoses and change to black plug wires. Its a really cool look though, I really like it, and it would be more durable than the Taiwan chrome on something that is parked outside year round.

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

George, I hear ya, but I would hate to think that even the most die hard traditional
    HAMB members would not like seeing a well executed car once in a while.
    Hell, I've never been accused of getting exited over 37 Fords, but this car works for me.
    Considering the subject on this thread; what I find disturbing is peoples' acceptance of those new generation "gasser" style front "12 spokes" and those really bad looking Halibrand copies you see so much of on the rear of all the "tribute" gassers being built.
    Don't even get me started on those fake Buick finned drums hiding disc brakes.
    My .02 worth.

alchemy, Atwater Mike and Crazy Steve like this.
  23. rooman

rooman

I am with you on this one Denny. I saw the car at Bakersfield and got to talk to Ryan (briefly). Like you I can't stand the bolt on 10 spoke "12 spokes" or the horrible off shore "Halibrands". They fit into the same category as those terrible Sanderson "zoomies" that people put on their street driven cars. I can live with the dummy Buick drums because they at least look right from any sort of distance while the other stuff screams BOGUS from a block away.

31 Vicky,
    I should have looked closer at the dust caps and realized that Steve had original wheels on his car. I have a pair of originals in mag and a pair of the new ones as well. I also have half a dozen pairs of real Halibrands rears and a pair of the correct looking clones to hold my cackle car up between events (once I eventually get the restoration done).

Roo

24. What's a Gasser ? :D

falcongeorge likes this.
  25. If not too much trouble, I'd like to see a side by side comparison shot of the backside of the 2 , old and new.

26. I am now that I am older, I don't even have to eat beans to get that way. :D

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man we have this place close to our house that makes THE BEST samosas. Well, the other night, I had half a dozen of them loaded up with that yummy tamarind sauce. Man, about an hour later, I was trumpeting like a bull elephant, We are talking window rattling blasts here. But I digress...
    Just curious, to any of the guys that are taking this thread sort of seriously:rolleyes: just wondering how you propose to fit the center of that 2" plus diameter bearing race that protrudes 3" out of the face of the buick brake drum into the back-side of an American racing twelve spoke? Whats the game plan, do you intend to run a 3" thick wheel spacer on the front of the drum, then somehow bolt the spindle mount wheel to that? Or do you plan to just machine all that "useless excess metal" off the face of the drum, and figure out some way to move the race inboard? Sorry, I mean, I realize this is one of "those" threads where reality is an unwelcome guest, but???

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh, dear GOD, please, no, not AGAIN....

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its all good Denny, like I say, I love the engine compartment in that car especially.

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

George...
    All ya gotta do is go to some big event that caters to the "street rod" crowd and you will see that the too wide look never crossed peoples minds when they were screwing their cars together.
    Just get as much gingerbread in there as you can, regardless of the esthethetics.

falcongeorge likes this.