Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bias tires

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 56longroof, Sep 9, 2015.

1. 56longroof

56longroof

I am in the market for a set of bias for my 56 and have narrowed down the size. I have looked at several brands but this will be my first set of bias and wanted to know what you guys ran and how you liked them.

2. I've had good luck with Cokers. HRP

[​IMG]

3. kwjsimpson

kwjsimpson

I'm running on the Firestone Deluxe Champion bias w/3.5" white walls. These were new on the car when I bought it and have no complaints so far. These are my first bias, so I don't have anything to compare them to. Could not be happier with them, but could be a case of "ignorance is bliss". :)

Any rate, they look great and get me down (and grip) the road just fine. Different feeling than a radial, but great nonetheless.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441846840.123955.jpg

4. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have Coker Classic on the coupe. Never really had any problems

[​IMG]

5. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Cokers, I like them, look good and ride nice.
    No issues with them at all ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441847430.350908.jpg

6. Had Cokers on my avatar, did not like them at all, replaced them in 200 Miles with same size radials, they handle and ride so much better!!!!!

AHotRod likes this.
  7. pdq67

pdq67

Just don't mix pairs of radial and bias ply front/back because they can get really squirrely on you!

pdq67

Hnstray likes this.
  8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I think bias plies would look good on your wagon...

9. 56longroof

56longroof

I was thinking the same thing. The radials on it now look like shit. I am leaning twords the Firestones with the 3.5 www. But this thread is still young and I am open to suggestions .

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool wagon and I like your plan...

11. Yes, but the question is old. It's about on a monthly if not weekly cycle.

If you've been a member since 2011 I'm sure you've read a hundred threads on whether Cokers are round, square, potato shaped, brick shaped, do need shaving, don't need shaving, balance easy, bounce up and down etc., etc. And most 'brands' are made by Coker anyway.

But yeah, your wagon would look better with them. Good luck.

Hnstray, Texas Webb, hrm2k and 2 others like this.
  12. Yes. This.

13. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

I read every thread and every comment on bias tires and was still no wiser. For everyone saying they're good, someone else says they're bad.
    Aesthetics finally ruled the day and I got some Coker Firestones. They look immeasurably better, they've made the (non-power) steering lighter, and I can't say I've noticed any adverse tracking or anything negative. I even recouped some of the cost by selling off the radials.

14. 56longroof

56longroof

Yes I have read a lot of posts on bias ply tires. The main reason I started this thread was to get some positive feedback and a few recommendations. I am not trying to beat a dead horse just wanted some advice before I spend a lot of money on a set of tires.

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whatever you get be sure to keep the inflation conservative. Many are "conditioned" over the last 2-3 decades to run as much as 36psi in their tires because lower profiled radials (common as fly shit) need that kind of pressure. Bias tires do not, and in a size like your car would take the pressure should be about 30-32 cool. Does 4-6 psi make that much difference? You bet your finned valve cover it does. Over inflation on a bias tire causes them to track tar strips and such in the road which is the #1 complaint about them. Keep em conservative and you'll be fine.

16. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

If you go with bias ply, want to true them and can't locate a shop equipped with a truer I have one in my shop located in Green Mountain Iowa 65 miles NE of Des Moines Iowa.

17. I have a set on my '51 Chevy, on the hwy it want to "wander" a little sometimes. Kind of unexpectently and quickly. :eek: I am going to try different tire pressures to see it I can correct the problem. I am ck'n
    IMG_0156.JPG
    that first. Makes sense to me. Thanks Highlander. :)

18. cs39ford

cs39ford

image.jpg I use Coker. This is my third set since 1990. Never any problems I drive heck out of the old girl. This set is Firestone cokers

19. 56longroof

56longroof

A little slow to post progress but I ended up getting Firestone Deluxe Champions. With rebuilt front suspension and rebuilt steering box it drives as good if not better than my modern daily driver. Here's what she looks like now[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

TonyVan likes this.