Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help needed wiring 39 Ford Dynamo...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim G, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Tim G

Tim G

I have a 39 ford with the original Flathead V8 in and i have bought a new dash loom/harness of ebay which is very nice quality and fitted well. I have one issue though, the loom is for a car with the regulator on the bulkhead but the car has the regulator on top of the dynamo. This isn't a problem as i can join the main wires but there is only one terminal on the regulator which is for the main charging wire and non for the field wire as far as i can see. It needs a field wire to work right(??) anyone know where i should connect to or how i should wire this up?
    Thanks

2015-09-08 18.07.26.jpg
    2015-09-08 21.46.11.jpg

2. cant answer your question,however that round thing sitting on top of your "Dynamo" is not a regulator...its a cut out.

Model T1 and Tim G like this.
  3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like wbrw32 said, a cutout. There may be some help on the fordbarn sister site. I think I'd seen a wiring diagram there when I was searching wiring for my 39. Is yours a Standard? I'd like to see more if it is.

Tim G likes this.
  4. 97

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    38-39 should have regulator, 37 and earlier had a cutout.

Tim G likes this.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to my archaeology the 39 Standard had either one, and I'd think the 60 HP version was surely a cutout. Both were used on the 85s. Deluxe had a regulator, perhaps on all of them. However, it's a Ford of which many were built and different plants used inventory different ways so anything's possible.

Model T1 and Tim G like this.
  6. Tim G

Tim G

Ok, Thanks for all the replies. So it's obviously a cutout, does this mean it doesn't need a field wire?

7. Tim G

Tim G

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

One wire, from cutout to the main harness. It connects in as the "Bat" wire from a 2 brush system regulator would.
    Think about keeping the nice harness and getting a regulator and 2-brush generator...the regulator is a big step forward. The old system puts out the same amperage all the time, happily cooking the battery when the amps are not needed. You can also buy aftermarket cutouts for the early system that contain a miniaturized solid state regulator.

Model T1 likes this.
  9. Tim G

Tim G

I don't like that sound of that considering how much a decent 6v battery has cost me! I guess there is no way to fit a regulator on this dynamo then?

10. As Bruce told you in above post...just get a 2 bruxh generator(Dynamo to you) and a voltage regulator to match..
    No need to change your battery

Model T1 likes this.
  11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The only bolt-on regulation is the aftermarket stuff...I think the person making the setup called his business "just a hobby"...will have to look for it.
    Original could probably be reworked by separating field wires and rerouting to match those in one of the several regulator systems, but the thought hurts my head.

12. Tim G

Tim G

Yeah, i was talking more about the risk of cooking the new battery. 2 brush generators don't grow on trees here like they do in the US, I'm sure there are some around from 12v conversions but people will probably want silly money for them... suddenly seems viable to convert it to 12v(if i hadn't just bought the 6v battery i guess)

Thanks, i do have an almost new 6v regulator from a 48 Ford here so if i could use that with the original it would be ideal... if not then at least i have one part of the puzzle. Maybe i'll just drive around with my lights on all the time to save the battery boiling ha!

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Just get on the HAMB classifieds and get a '40-48 generator...you already have the regulator and wiring, so go for it!
    More investment will get you 12...you need a '56-62 or so regulator and almost any Ford generator from those years...
    basic conversion is disassembling the two generators and putting the late body and field coils into the early generator and armature.

I suspect that it is possible to disconnect internal wiring in the 3 brush and to reroute the wires from field coils as in later Ford pattern, drill for new terminal studs and insulators, and convert...staring at diagram for '48 Ford here...but I've never tried it and I don't have much theoretical background to reassure myself with.

Tim G likes this.
  14. Tim G

Tim G

I'll see if i can find a 40-48 one over here first off i guess.

The second idea sounds like a bit of a challenge(which i like), just thinking if i mess it up i'll end up with no working dynamo at all.

Thanks again for your input...

15. The challenge will be in finding the proper generator pulley for the 2-brush generator. It is a one year only (1939) part and then only for Standard models with the 2-brush generator and the generator mounted fan.

Tim G likes this.
  16. Tim G

Tim G

Is there any way of modifying the original pulley to fit the 2 brush or is it way off?

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Depends on actual age...about '37-9 have hole approximating size of later shaft...you need to make the leap in parts, start tinkering. Most types will require trimming a taper on backside of the fins, others possibly made for conversion have no taper on fins/front of generator...you buy a bunch of jigsaw puzzle parts from several sources, then try to fit them. A wild card is a speedway pulley for converting alternators...suspect it may adapt easily.

Tim G likes this.