Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. limobob

limobob

Image (52).jpg
    ok Balboa... about 68-9 any help?

2. limobob

limobob

Image (53).jpg Pretty sure #1 is Goodell

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I think your right #1 looks like Kenney, #2 is Gary Parham in the "Red Light Bandit" Corvette he bought from Californian Bill Bagshaw. #3 could be the "Thunder Chev" T-Bird. I can't enlarge it enough to read the lettering on the side. Thanks for posting those shots.

4. Great photos @limobob! I can't say I've seen too many photos of Balboa.

RonaldR likes this.
  5. Let's get this thread active again!
    Marty, what happened to the Woodburn video?
    Come on guys!
    I'll go through the thread and delete broken links.
    THERE MUST BE A ZILLION PICS OUT THERE! AND STORIES!
    BRING IT ON!!!

6. 73RR

73RR

The memories are still semi-fresh, but...too many ex-wives and too many moves and stuff goes missing....:(:(

Gary

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  7. onefaststude

onefaststude

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here are some shots of my old buddy Jack Gillis from last year and 1946. At 17 years old, he built this A-V8 and drove it to hi-school. He was a charter member of the ORRA, Oregon Roadster Racing Association. He used a several different drivers, usually seasoned Midget or Big/Car chauffeurs. B&W photos,1st pic (driver unknown), 2nd pic is with legendary race car builder Clarence Smith out of Vancouver, after some laps on the 1-1/8 mi dirt track at Yakima. He was the focus of an article I wrote for Hot Rod Deluxe last year, when he was all of 18, he built a 27 roadster with a 6-71 blower on a Flathead, one of my heros ! IMG_4231.JPG 2012-08-04 170849.jpg 2012-08-04 170301.jpg

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  9. Cool stuff Marty! Bring it on, more pics! You know everybody in Oregon racing man,
    shake the trees, Let's get this thread going again!
    OREGONIANS! LET'S SEE PICS, HEAR STORIES!

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

OK, a little more of "then and now". My old friend Lloyd Hamilton brought his current day slingshot to me for a new cowling, as he blew a rear tire at 206 mph !!!!! His cowl, (fabbed by the late Jerry Hill) sustained damage and needed replaced. I really enjoyed the time he spent helping me fab and mount the new one. He started his racing career in the early 60's driving a Hardtop at the Salem Speedway 1/4 mi paved oval, with the nickname "Butch". In '64 he raced an A/D ( the first B&W) with his brother in law Paul Bowler, the duo built a new aluminum bodied "chute pack" dragster that Lloyd raced until '68. He later got into "circle boat" racing, with a blown BBC, with master boat pilot "George Nordling" at the wheel. Lloyd has been Nostalgia Racing for a dozen years or so. It is great to see his enthusiasm hasn't waned, he is a good guy ! IMG_5649.JPG IMG_5655.JPG IMG_5656.JPG MARTY 6.jpg MARTY 5.jpg

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  12. Cordy Jensen in the Bev's car
    [​IMG]

13. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I got news that Oregon racer and engine builder Grant Springer lost his battle with cancer on the 18th. He was 71

14. 4tmike

4tmike
    from oregon

image.jpg While rebuilding my back porch ,I found this sign being used as underlayment.Plywood with reflective lettering.Thinking pre p.i.r. Delta park.

15. That's incredible!

16. Even more amazing is he lives on the coast, over a hundred miles from Portland!
    You never know!

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I heard the bad news today, that Jim Enger passed away last Friday. Although not a racer, he was an avid Drag Race Fan, and did trim work on may race cars.
    Jim was best known for his upholstery work, he started in the trade in the late 60's, and over the last 40 plus years doing award winning work. Through the years, he did several for me. Always a quiet, easy going guy and an asset to our hobby. The red 34 coupe was his daily driver (rain, shine, or snow) since he completed it in the early 80's. He was member on here, only posted a couple of times, but this place gave him solace, in his battle with health problems over the last few years. Jim, my friend, you will be missed. RIP.
    IMG_2967.JPG

Kan Kustom likes this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Read this mornings Oregonian and saw this, still can't believe it.
    First met the Enger's about 1969, a hot rod family in the truest sense.
    RIP JIM

19. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Yeah, Jim was one of the good ones. He worked with my pal Guy Recordon in the trim biz for years. Talked to Guy the other day and he let me know. Really sad for Guy. They were really close....

20. Anyone have any shots of the Potter Brother or Bill Ireland 1961 Starliners?

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Potter Brothers was a Starliner, Ireland's "Adios 1",was a 2 Dr "Cheapy model", as was Jim Price's "Pope Ford" sponsored '61. All three were hard runners. Larry Anderson will probably chime in, his Dad Bill, bought Adios 1, from Ireland after the '61 season, with the stipulation that he would run B/G, instead of S/S, because the car would be serious competition for the '62 "406" of Ireland.

22. Thanks for the information. I'm currently building a period correct '61 390-401 Fairlane SS car. I've heard rumor that the Potter's and Ireland '61s still survive and are being restored. I've also heard that the Potter's car was formerly owned by Les Ritchey? Would you happen to know about any of that?

23. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Well Marty, my ears must have been burning...Last I heard of "Adios 1" my dad had returned it back to street trim as a now obsolete race car and sold it to "some kid". My dad was only 25 at the time so no saying how old this "kid" was. Apparently the car was involved in some sort of high speed police chase, the cops backed off but did get the plate number. It was still registered to my dad. Oops. Johnny Law came knocking.
    It was an incredible machine well deserved of the trophy's it earned. Yes, it did wind up in B/G in 1962. Yes, it was a terror to Ireland's new one of 13? '62 Lightweights and would get around it. Consequently, I have trophy's from 1962 earned in both S/S and B/G by my dad in "Adios 1" after the purchase. A "gentleman's" agreement led to "Adios 1" having the front bumper removed and running B/G. I've seen both Bill Ireland and my dad Bill Anderson pissed and know how competitive they both were but they were the best of friends to the end.
    I have more stories about the 2 Bill's and "Adios 1" and if someone found the car, I'd absolutely love to see it. Putting together a tribute car of some sort is on my bucket list. It was pretty darn impressive for just a 390 and a 3 on the tree.

24. Summer of 64 or 65...I was at Madras watching the drags when Bill Ireland pulled to the line with a ford thunderbolt. Broke all 5 wheel studs off the left rear on launch......
    Chuck Claypool broke the posi rear axle that day, launching his [wife's] new yellow, 64 327/4 speed Impala at the line. It had to be rolled off the starting line on a floor jack...I believe it was the same day that the Blue Max was there...it was a 57 ford at that time with candy blue paint and the full monte gold leaf lettering...seems like it had an altered wheelbase.

25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Larry, Adios 1 was only beat twice in '61, Ireland won 38 trophies that year. The first race of the year at Mac, was won by Rick Lupke, out of Vancouver, Wa. Rick's car was a light blue Sunliner Convert, with the 401 HP tri-power. The only other loss was to Jim Price, out of Renton, Wa, sponsored by Pope Ford. Do you have a copy of Frank Wusz video, lots of footage Adios 1 on there !

26. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

The first time I saw Frank Wusz's home movies was at a CTA reunion at the Memorial Coliseum in one of the side rooms during a Portland Roadster Show. I'm thinking it was in the early 80's? Bill Ireland showed up at the house and we all rode down together. Everybody was on Frank in the later years to do something with those 8mm's, apparently he did. I saw them briefly the last time I was at your place. No, I don't have a copy. Yes, I'll buy lunch the next time you need a hand. Bug you later my friend. Fun to see a feller from MD is putting together a correct '61 and inquiring about cars/history here in the NW.

27. Wow, love hearing the stories about the '61s. Is the DVD with Adios I on it available to be purchased? I'm really into early Super Stock racing. My Dad raced a '61 Starliner in SS in '61 when he was 19. He still has an identical 390-401 Starliner. My car is a base '61 Fairlane, rubber mat, heater & radio delete with a 390-401. I plan on racing it a bit 7" cheater slicks and all. No modern parts on the outside.
    Do you happen to have any photos of the cars? I have seen Jim Price's car in 1961 National Dragsters. I also have made contact with a fellow out your way that knows the whereabouts of the Potter's Starliner. Here is my car coming off the frame for the first time since 1961. It currently is at the bodyshop. It is pretty solid as it originally was from Texas. P7010020.JPG

Finn Jensen likes this.
  28. Here is a shot I've found of the Potter's car. 960073_10200665018462633_749068178_n.jpg

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey guys
    I'm always snooping the net for history on Bill Ireland as I use to own the Pro Stock Maverick(heavily reconfigured) that he campaigned in the early 70's.
    I stumbled onto this really neat story about Bill Ireland, I'd bet most haven't seen it.
    It is more of a local (Portland) background story that is not commonly found on the net.
    I've tried contacting the author for permission to submit the PDF, have not gotten a response yet. The article is from last year and is from a small publication based in North Portland's St. Johns neighborhood where Irelands Auto Electric was his race shop.
    I think I have figured out how to cut and paste the URL on this tablet (my pc died) hopefully you can just click on the link, cross your fingers cuz this is all new for this techno-challenged old guy.
    I found it quite interesting and thought you guys might also.

Link no longer active, see post 1303 on how to find story.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015