Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage RWYB-Reynolds, GA Dec. 5, 2015

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty old man, May 11, 2015.

1. BAD A

BAD A

And make a very good picture.

2. I saw that car at Byron - its a beauty ;)

3. Vera nice saltflats :cool: I like the old school paint job on the steel rims. I have planned to do just that or something similar. Just haven't gotten around to scrape up the extra dough to buy some slicks yet. Then that would give me reason to finally round up the wheels.

I got the idea from a pic that my old man gave me of a Barracuda running here at the now defunct Warner Robins International Dragway from '65.

65 Barracuda Junior Stocker.jpg

saltflats and Dog_Patch like this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's a cool picture and I like the brand X. I have one of the brand X cars also.

GAOldsman likes this.
  5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well, I,m anxious to see what sort of times I get with a decent shifting transmission setup. What I had on BGII was cool looking, but not so hot on the 2-3 shift. Just may be able to at least run a time that I will be willing to post.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds you are running a 4 gear
    I hope to step up to one in my 409 car this winter.
    I don't worry about posting my times. It shows how smart or dumb I am at a given time.
    When I started with this 409 I was in the high 16s but I was still having fun.

GAOldsman likes this.
  7. Wow a 409. I used to work for a guy that had two, both Lamar Walden built. The bad boy was the '62 and the '64 was "street legal" :rolleyes: :D

Dave hopefully you have it squared away :cool:

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I bet that those cars hauled the mail.
    I built mine with old spare parts out of my buddies stash of parts.
    Hoping to run as good as Dyno Don did back in the day. Knowing I have much better tires than he did will help me but not having the support and all the new parts as he did will be my crutch.
    Gould make for a close race.

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Salt Flats my car is the roadster in post #5 of this thread on the first page of the thread. I now have some half worn out slicks for it when I drag it, as the Coker WW's just won't bite. Power is 355cid SBC.
    When I bought the car, it was a rolling chassis mocked up with a toploader Ford 4speed modified with the long shifter lever from a Jeep with T176 4 speed, Cool looking setup, looks just like an old Ford with top shift lever like a '39 and earlier. But it wasn't a trans you could shift fast at all, sorta frustrating, in fact.
    So when the 1st/2nd synchronizer started binding up on me a few weeks ago, I decided it was time for a change. Now have another toploader Ford 4 speed and Hurst Comp+4 shifter ready to install, hopefully tomorrow,if all goes well.
    No more "5 second" 2nd to 3rd shifts!!!!!!!!!!!

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like a fun car
    If you have problems with this trany change it back to Cokers and just do high gear only 1/8 burn out.

11. captmullette

captmullette

on a sad note lamar walden passed last week.....mr. 409 will be missed......

12. Well that sucks Bobby. I've been to that shop and there isn't much he didn't make onsite :(

13. Got some flyers printed out like last year in 4"x 6" picture size. They turned out really well and are very legible. I'll start putting them around here at shows, speed shops, convenience stores and wherever they will let me. Need to get some up to Summit, they have two areas to place some. As well as corkboard and pins to tack one up at both locations. My burpday is coming up next week, so hopefully I get a reason to go ;) :D

Maybe plan to grab a bite if anyone is game. Mondays are usually best since there is usually somewhat of a car show and there is always a chance Hot Rod Walt & the Psycho DeVilles might be playing. Looks like the 21st is going to be the best date, as they are featuring "60's cars" as opposed to "pro touring/resto-mods on the 28th and "Chevy" is scheduled on the 5th of October. Cruise-In starts at 6 pm and ends at 8 pm.

14. captmullette

captmullette

well, the new motor was going together and then, while installing the new harmonic balancer that was as tight as hell the installation tool decided to ring off the crank end part of the tool.....closed the shop, went to the legion and now im calm......... just a little hiccup........

saltflats likes this.
  15. Damn it man! I have been boiling my harmonic balancers before install and its worked well. Hope you get it sorted out.

16. captmullette

captmullette

sounds like a good trick.....wish I had known

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Are you going to be able to get the stub of the installation tool outta there without too much hassle? Once you do get it out, might be a good idea to get a micrometer check done on the fit between crank snout OD and balancer ID.
    A shrink fit such as Tony has suggested can help in a case of too tight fit. Don't go over .002" interference, I prefer .001 -0015 interference.. Advance Auto has a tool that works real well for pull/install that you leave about $100 deposit, which is refundable up-on return in good condition..It screws all the way in crank snout, then another piece with a ball bearing thrust pushes the balancer on.
    SBC specs call for snout max. OD 1.247" balancer min. ID 1.244" which is .003" interference, and more than I like to use because of problems in later removal if needed.
    Too tight can be loosened by filling key slot with bondo and honing on a Sunnen, or similar honing machine to proper ID. Then dig the bondo outta the slot. Good luck.
    Scot we'll have to get a little closer to the 21st before I can commit on Summit. Gotta see how I'm progressing on BGII. That heavy ass cast iron toploader just about whipped my wore out old ass, but it's finally in. But I still gotta fit new floorboard, paint and install it, and set up the line loc.

18. captmullette

captmullette

20150909_144804.jpg 20150909_144930.jpg all better......natty time

GAOldsman and Dog_Patch like this.
  19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Glad you got that nub outta there, could've been a real mess. I don't think a sliver of metal sheared out of the bore is going to affect the balance that much if you can clean up the balancer bore and get a good concentric fit.

20. BAD A

BAD A

Well stab that puppy in the car. I know you a itching to go drive it.:)

21. [​IMG]

Way cool brother :cool: Can't wait to see her run. Glad you got it all squared away. X2 on stabbing that puppy home and breaking that baby in.

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am going this weekend for some 1320 action at Byron Saturday then heading to St Louis for some more on Sunday
    And hope to watch some of the Drag Week action Sunday evening.

Dog_Patch and Floater03 like this.
  23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like you've got a fun weekend lined up! Expect I'll spend most of the weekend finishing up all the little stuff under the car and start in on locating and drilling/cutting all the holes in that new floorboard for BGII.
    At least we have good weather forecast starting Sunday, as due to a full shop, I'll be painting that floorboard outside.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I will have both of my cars running at St Louis hope I can bring at least one home still running.

Sometimes the blue sky garage is the best.

25. [​IMG]

Days until I show somebody what for ;)

26. bump diggity...

guessing the possum must of fallen off the treadmill down there that powers y'alls internets

27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Thx for the bump Todd, looks like all of us got a bit busy with other things and forgot to come over here and keep this thread on the first page.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  28. BAD A

BAD A

Going to the Carolina pushrodz race. At Cherokee race park this Saturday. They have a Street tire race, a Drag radial race & a Slick race. Plus grudge racing. I am going to try and run, the street tire race. This will be the trucks first time out, since last year. And I know, it will not be all that fast, on street tires. But It should be, a good shake down for the truck. Just to check for any leaks, or other problems that might show up.

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good news one car came home that cane back off the trailer under its own power.

30. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Bump for the lunch bunch and a Happy Birthday to Scott!

Attached Files:

GAOldsman likes this.