Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Catastrophic brake issue.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al T, Sep 4, 2015.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

You're right, but depending on what master you use, it could have an internal bias that is already setup for the disc/drum setup

2. RHRH3P

RHRH3P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I appreciate the lesson learned. Dad and I were driving his 56 Victoria today and discussing how to make his brakes better. His drums stop but it's quite the effort. It's converted to dual but I'm thinking disk on the front like my 56 is in order. It's next on the list.

3. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Is there any way to tell if a master has that?

4. The bias comes from the proportioning valve (in a stock factory system). Some masters do have built-in residual valving, if that's what you were thinking of. I like to use a separate PV in any disc conversion that I do, a throw back to my stock car days.

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are no internal pressure limiting valves in a dual master- any proportioning and metering are always external. Residual check valves, as stated earlier, were internal, and on all drum brake masters up till the mid '70s.
    There are differences in fluid volume or displacement in dual master cylinders, resulting from the different pri./sec. piston strokes in most.

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many great comments here. It is imperative to check the brake system frequently no matter what the system is.
    The emergency brake also needs to be checked often and kept in adjustment which many overlook or take for granted. I even see cars built without a working ebrake!! Mine are always checked and I have had to use them over the years when brake problems occurred.

wraymen likes this.
  7. It's simply amazing.
    Pythonesque logic being relied upon for braking systems.

8. Glad you're reading this Shoes. As I began reading it, I instantly thot of your situation. It makes me even happier that your situation was corrected.:)

wraymen and worn shoes like this.
  9. worn shoes

worn shoes

That's why I didn't drive the car. No reason to put yourself or the public at risk. Thanks again Bowtie Coupe!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  10. Lucky Steve

Lucky Steve
    from Brighton

volvobrynk and wraymen like this.
  11. "and now for something completely different" "spam,spam,spam,egg and spam"

12. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Lucky Steve

Lucky Steve
    from Brighton

Hey Bob, those are very good points- I thought long and hard about swapping to dual master but as that's a Kurtis built chassis I didn't want to cut any of his work away!
    The float isn't that big in relation to the master cylinder and I think the clue is in the name- it 'floats' above the fluid and doesn't displace anything but air! I checked compatibility and also check it regularly to ensure it's still working. It's been in there 2-years now and so far so good.

volvobrynk likes this.