Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The axel seal is still leaking on the olds wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Looks like that drivers side rear axel seal is leaking again. Wagon runs great though. I might have to use a stronger sealer around the axel flange???? Bruce.

2. Most likely the bearing is shot. Is the bearing pressed onto the axle? If so, when you pop it out again, spin it by hand and feel for roughness or see if you can rock it.

3. bryan6902

bryan6902

Replace the bearing. I had that issue on my Pontiac...Tried the o-ring and flange gasket multiple times, it was just seeping through the bearing.

4. Bobss, the bearing and seal was replaced by a machine shop here.Thanks.Bruce.

5. is the vent clear?

Drunk Man likes this.
  6. Maybe over-filled with gear lube?

7. Was worth a shot. If the axle was bad (where the locking ring presses on) they'd catch it. I'm wondering if the flange may have been bent causing it to run out of round and egging out the seal. How did the housing look where the bearing rides?

8. 29moonshine

29moonshine

there is a machine shop here that will do what you tell them to do and does not check anything. if you tell him replace the bearing and seals that is all he is going to do

9. tb33anda3rd, if your talking about the vent on the rear end it was cogged up but I cleaned it up and made sure it was clear. Thanks.Bruce.

10. bobss396, I did drain the rear end and did refill it.Maybe I should try taking some out and see what happens???Bruce.

11. 29mooshine, I think that's what this guy did, Bruce.

12. bobss396, it look fine to me. I am wondering if I should try another bearing and seal and take it to another machine shop?.I want it ready for next weekend here. Bruce.

13. he might have just bogeyed it up putting it in. i have taken leaking new seals off and found nicks in the rubber, and or the tension spring popped out of the back of the seal.

14. O.K. Guys, I pulled the axel this morning. This is the side the guy pressed a new bearing and seal on. Does it look right? Thanks Bruce. 006.JPG

15. Heres a shot of the rear end housing.Thanks Bruce. 003.JPG

16. Weren't most of those bearings and seals a sealed unit? Odd that it came apart, but possible in the removal process. Every used & abused one I've yanked came out intact. See if that's a fresh oil seal.

Everything else looks good if you have no scores where the bearing sits. The fluid level (in the housing tube) looks in the ball park.

Talk to the shop that pressed on the bearing. Maybe they have the ability to see if the axle is bent, or not. This is my best guess right now.

17. wandi harry

wandi harry

Only done a couple of axle bearings in my time but the tapered roller bearing does not seem right . What is the ring for that is hanging loose between the bearing and seal.
    You sure they have not supplied the wrong bearing?? Tapered rollers are meant to have a pre load

18. Bobss, it is fresh oil.It came in 2 pieces also the bearing and the seal if that's what you meant. Thanks Bruce.

19. Wandi harry.I have the old bearing still, let me check it with the one they sold me.Thanks Bruce.

20. wandi harry, i am pretty sure that ring hanging is the race for the bearing.Thanks Bruce.

21. Bruce, whats the ring between the bearing and seal do?

22. tb33ahda3rd, I think that's part of the seal.Yea I know.but it all locks together ok.Bruce.

23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Something doesn't look right w/that ring & bearing...
    dave

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The thin ring is to set the depth of the seal and to push the outer part of the seal against the axle housing so it will seal on the outside.
    If that makes sense.

25. IADodge

IADodge

If the vent was plugged that would cause a leaky seal. When it gear lube gets warm it expands and causes pressure build-up in the housing. The pressure has to go somewhere so it will push past a seal.

26. salt flats ,it does and it does fit snug against when pressed together.Bruce.

27. IADodge, I cleared the vent but will recheck it.Thanks.Bruce.

28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Guess the hard part is determining whether the leak is between the seal & axle or seal & housing ...
    dave

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My thought if the seal is leaking on the shaft it will sling oil out if the seal is leaking at the housing it will run down the backing plate.

30. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Your bearing race should be tight in the housing. I really do not like the Tapered timkens on the axle, I have seen more leaks from that type than others. I think there is a ball bearing conversion for that rear end which I will put in mine that's like yours. Gary

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015