Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Traditional style 32-34 ford fiberglass cars - Any pic's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordor Ron, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Yeah awesome I hope to make it on the Sunday at Nagambie and we will try and catch up....

2. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Wardog
    You guys build some kool kars there!!!!! They've got a great look. That black coupe is a knockout!!!!!
    CK

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

One of the noted builders of FG cars was Barry Lobeck. He created some really nice versions during his tenure at Lobecks.

lobeck32.jpg
    A clone of his original using a Wescott body is still going strong with the new owner.

pc050001.jpg
    He created this Great 8 finalist for a customer and it too was a copy of his black cabriolet.

lobeck33.jpg
    He had a great eye for color and stance.

4. Russell34

Russell34
    from Indiana

IMG_0250.JPG
    IMG_0307.JPG

I enjoyed looking through this thread. This is my first real post here on the HAMB, so its appropriate to share a couple pictures of my first build currently still in progress.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The red steel hiboy Barry built while still working at IH was a huuuge inspiration for the build of my roadster.

6. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I kinda wish that Bruce would restore that back to the late 70's version before-during Coonan, than later Bauder's stewardship. It really changed when Bruce made it "Checkered Past". That Rod put the Hot Back into Hot Rod quite literally. It was everywhere!!!!! And they make Firestone Dirt Trackers again so Bruce are you reading this?????
    [​IMG]
    Pix from Hot Rod Don's post on Barry.
    And Here's the Classy Glassy one,[​IMG]
    Quite a Build as well as he was building the Tom McMullen "EDITORS" clone at the same time for Primedia SRM.
    I think Tom Vogele owns that version now????

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  7. DSCF0011.JPG DSCF0004.JPG View attachment 2994019 I posted my coupe earlier on this thread so I may as well show my RPU. Early Gibbon body, handmade steel pickup bed, it was finished in 1995 and has been driven many miles since. Holding up very nicely and still looks great.

Mick
    View attachment 2994019

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does this qualify? It's not done, it's not painted, it's not glass, it's not henry's, it's not running ('cause the radiator hasn't been shipped from BW yet), it's not even really a roadster 'cause it's gots windows. But it is going to be cool, inner fenders, hood top (no sides), 34 chrome grille, 34 headlights, 32 tank (welded on the filler neck last week), QC champ, 49 Flatty, Navarro equipped, trio of Stromberg's, SoCal dropped I beam, hairpins, moon tank, etc.. It will be maroon, the drop top is already tan, Speed 33 steel body.

I'm not a small guy so I chose Speed 33 because of the extra legroom, long doors, headroom even with the copped top and of course the quality. The body has been e-coated to prevent it from rusting in the great pacific northwest while it waits on me to build it, but you can see how smooth this all steel body is before any body work is done. When you factor in the time and cost of body work, this car is not that expensive. And it is power windowed, upholstered chopped top, deck lid, wipers, curved windshield...ok, commercial over.
    bodyonframe.jpg

bodyonframe1.jpg

wicarnut, Pewsplace and ratman like this.
  9. ratman

ratman

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

11. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

It qualifies in my book! Great looking roadster with all the amenities of a late model car. Have fun.

12. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Here are a few more traditional styled FG cars.
    11127530_876724345721655_340510579330235182_n.jpg

9AC-10-17379.jpg

hershey 2012 044.jpg

MO_JUNK, 32SEDAN, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  13. To me, no. I say this because the OP asked for traditional, and to me that means the body attempts to duplicate a factory body (and a chop is usually included as par for the course with hot rods.)

Glass versions of Dearborn Deuces, Speed 33's and the like that are convertibles with flip up hideaway flaps and roll up windows etc. are outside that.

Practical yadda yadda, but I go back to my first point.

Not knocking your car BTW, you can do what you like.

Edit: I just checked over your post again and it is a Speed 33...it's not even a glass version.:rolleyes: I have no idea why you posted.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    cptn60 and Fordor Ron like this.
  14. image.jpg image.jpg
    Well over 100k miles. Wouldn't have been any more smiles if it was steel.

15. ..............................Kevin, I'm pretty sure this was a Brookville body car built by Dave Lane for John Oakes. Outstanding car anyway you look at it.:)..........Don.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  16. pumpman

pumpman

I have an old Westcott 32 and has a lot of the original detail. Still working on it with no real schedule, just enjoy working on it. photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

17. 19highboy32

19highboy32

18. ^^^^ What are the details on this one? Any more pic's?

19. I know the guy that built it. What do you want to know?

[​IMG]

MO_JUNK and rodncustomdreams like this.
  20. What brand body? Original chassis or aftermarket? Different angle pic's?

Just curious as to what the Aussie guys are building I guess.

21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

DDDenny & Lothiandon1940,
    Gotta say Sorry, as I wrote that I grabbed that last pick as well off of Hot RodDons post on Barry Lobeck which this emulates the style set forth by Barry and makes for a truly sweet Hot Rod in any material of mfg medium by Dave Lane for John Oakes=A true Hot Rod!!!!!
    So sorry again ok? Carry on ;).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  22. Camm

Camm

Who builds the best 32 or 34 coupe body ??????????

23. I always seem to come back to the Australian bodies. Not sure what the price would be in US dollars but they sure look nice.

http://www.deucecustoms.com.au/

24. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Time to buy is now, the au dollar has tanked, down to roughly 70cents to the greenback.

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

No worries Kevin, just trying to keep history accurate for the guys that don't know.
    What I have discovered about the internet is kinda "good news, bad news".
    The good news is....there is a lot of information on the internet.
    The bad news is......there is a lot of information on the internet.
    Considering Barry always seemed to set the bar high on his builds; it's only natural for people to be attracted to perfection, and in my eyes all Lobeck cars were perfect.
    I hate the term "cookie cutter", but I will say this..........
    Barry left a huge imprint on the hot rod world.
    I also think that someday people will say the same thing about Dave Lane's work.

26. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Gotta say this is a great thread, I've owned 3 different glass bodies for different builds, I've had steel with a lot of repro sheet metal on it, I have original tin and an original woody,
    All of these cars have quite different personalities.
    Some have similar power trains while others retain their original set up.
    I find glass to be no different than the wood or steel car from the enjoyment standpoint. I find that these OZ bodies especially, the little Bonneville Chopped black 34 to be something that would make for a Kool Koupe build especially if one resided in a cooler climate and wanted to rod around year round.

27. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Personally I like the Wescotts but the price is crazy, by the time you option it up the steel cars look good
    Then it's the Deuce Customs, nice fit & finish. They just need stock hinges
    IMHO
    I've been looking for a 5w but I think I'm going to go with an A unless I find a suitable 32-34

28. Stole these from Pewsplace website. Hope you don't mind but since you already posted on here I assumed it was OK. Text below pictures comes from the site. image.jpg

Don built this beauty which I always admired even before I knew it was FG. He has the eye for traditional cars better than most. Wescott body.

Willy Lee and rodncustomdreams like this.
  29. image.jpg

He followed up with this perfect example of an early racer “Mines Field”. Again, setting a new standard for a FG car. Wescott body.

mgtstumpy and rodncustomdreams like this.