Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New un-started 350 crate engine stuck NEED HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nicks1950sled, Sep 2, 2015.

1. nicks1950sled

nicks1950sled

Soooooooo, heres the story, I bought a brand new gm performance 350 crate motor and installed it in my truck. after the final parts were attached and everything set, the engine will not turn!! I pre lubed the engine for 20 mins. until a good flow of oil was coming down the rockers, Ive checked all clearance issues with the flywheel & flywheel bolts, it has a new starter with no bolts catching on the flywheel, I also check my fuel pump push rod to make sure it was not binding. The truck has an 700-R4 transmission and the transmission is not binding and rolls in neutral. last night I removed the spark plugs and squirted some WD-40 in the cylinders and let it set overnight. when I try to start it, I can see the fan turn about half an inch when the starter tries to engage. I contacted GM over this, but they want me to pay out of pocket to tow it to a dealership, and also be responsible for the dealer ship hourly shop time to look at it!! I need this truck to get running as its my work truck, and Ive got to earn $$$$ to feed my family!!! Any recommendations to help me un seize this thing would be great. Thanks for reading, and thank you for your time. God Bless.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slack the transmission to engine bolts by 1/4" and try turning it with a big breaker bar.

3. nicks1950sled

nicks1950sled

does Slacking the bolts loosen up a possible bind? I tried the breaker bar with no luck. I feel like I'm going to round off the 5/8 center bolt on the balancer :(

4. Did you change the cam?

5. Larry T

Larry T

With the plugs out, can you turn the engine over using a socket and break over on the harmonic damper bolt?

6. nicks1950sled

nicks1950sled

No sir, all stock.

7. nicks1950sled

nicks1950sled

no sir, but when I engage the starter, I can see the fan turn about half an inch.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the torque converter is not properly engaged in the pump on the front of the transmission it can cause bind.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I see what Gimpy's idea is, and its the same as mine.
    If you don't properly align the torque conveter and trans input shaft tongue and slot and then use the trans to block or bell hsg bolts to pull it the rest of the way up, then you're exerting a tremenmdous pressure on the crankthrust bearing surface.
    Gimpy said back off a 1/4 INCH, ot a 1/4 turn.

10. Looks like you learned the hard make sure the englne turn before install the old diesel trick is turn the motor backwards i would say its in the bottom end if it ain't budging eather way

11. it must have turned to be able to put the torque converter bolts on. what did you do or what was changed since then?

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  12. nicks1950sled

nicks1950sled

when I removed the old engine for this new one, I disconnected the torque converter bolts from the fly wheel and removed the engine with only the flywheel attached and left the torque converter on the transmission because I didn't want to damage the front pump in the tranny.

13. nicks1950sled

nicks1950sled

it did turn to connect the bolts, that why I'm so stumped. I cannot think of anything that Ive done to it to cause this as I have not messed with the internals at all. the only thing I changed on the engine was the valve covers as the stock one was flimsy and very thin. never messed with the cam, timing chain, ext. all stock.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, trans idea good - you did install torque coverter alone and feel it "drop" into place? flex plate one that came with engine? sure that battery is truly at full charge and wiring, including grounds, are good. pulling plugs and crank by hand and/or with starter. pull valve cover make sure rockers are moving.
    have A/C? what type of belt system running?

15. nicks1950sled

nicks1950sled

Yes sir, Ive tried all of that. I can get it to move about 1/2 an inch with the starter but no luck with a breaker as Im afraid of rounding off the 5/8 balancer bolt. Im running a serpentine belt that powers the alt. and water pump. then i have the old v style for the power steering. no ac, and no belt tensioner. Ive also tried loosening the belt as well.

16. AmishMike

AmishMike

How old is engine build? Sit in a garage for years? Undo all rocker arms - do valves all close? Now turn over with valve train not connected and plugs still out. Wait a min; it turned to bolt up torque converter - that turn was by wrench right? Doesn't chev have various flex plate and teeth count must match up to starter teeth count?

turboroadster likes this.
  17. did you try it with the belt disconnected? is the belt run the right way?

18. nicks1950sled

nicks1950sled

Hello, the motor I ordered from jegs about a month ago new in the crate. you are correct about it turning for the torque converter mounting, And I made sure i bought the correct fly wheel. it calls for the 168 tooth one.

19. nicks1950sled

nicks1950sled

yes sir, Im running a serpentine belt that powers the alt. and water pump. then i have the old v style for the power steering. no ac, and no belt tensioner. Ive also tried loosening the belt as well.

20. choptop40

choptop40

Try turning it at the flywheel manually with a big screw driver...I'm thinking starter issue.....

21. roundvalley

roundvalley

Before you connected the torque converter to the flex plate, were you able to spin the converter freely before you bolted them togather?
    Just had a converter installed wrong on a 700r4. Motor started but wiped out the pump shaft end.
    Had afriend who ran a sepentine bolt but wrong water pump.
    I like the bad starter idea.
    Also saw a motor that the gas had leaked from the carbureter while setting and it hydro locked and would not turn over.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  22. sunbeam

sunbeam

Did you add coolant after hooking up The trans?

23. Ok, so here's what I get.

Some time in the not too distant past it turned over perfectly fine to install torque converter bolts.

S
    o go backwards thru the all of the things that you've done from that point to now. Don't skip or assume anything. It's not going to just magically lock up. Take it back apart if you have too. If it won't turn with plugs out the first thing I'd look at is anything that could be jambing up the flywheel. Fist suspects would be inspection cover and the nose of the stater.

Some times kids like to shove peanut butter crackers, or sandwiches into VCRs and DVD players almost as much as putting small bolts into spark plug holes so you'll need to be certain that didn't happen.

The last mystical locked up engine I saw was a distributor that was seized. Way different circumstances than yours but it stumped a bunch of folks. I bring this up only to provide an example of how a little thing can cause a big problem.

Model T1 and hipster like this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't try to start it anymore until you figure out what is jamming it up.

You will just ruin the starter.

Pull out all of the spark plugs, and try to turn it with a breaker bar.

Did you adjust the valves, or are they where they adjusted when you got the engine?

If you adjusted the valves, back them all off, and do the adjustment over.

turboroadster likes this.
  25. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Disconnect the flex plate from the converter. The converter should slid back about 1/4 inch and turn freely. If it won't then you don't have the converter installed correctly (all the way in.) If will spin freely and slid back into the trans , now try to turn the engine over by moving the flex plate with a screw driver. If it turns freely the engine is not stuck. Then check the starter . This should get you going in the right direction. Good luck.

Model T1 likes this.
  26. I had pretty much the same issue with the 383 stroker in my 40 Ford. Stock style rebuilt starter was far too weak. Engine builder recommended a much more powerful starter from Summit. Spins over like a banshee now...

27. Reckon it has water on top of a piston?

28. squirrel

squirrel

If a stock starter won't turn a stock engine, something is wrong....

This will be interesting to see what the answer is.

Years ago I saw a guy get mostly done taking a "seized" engine out to replace it before he noticed the alternator was locked up. You never know.

29. Just how the hell do you this if the engine won't turn over with a bar to get to those converter bolts? Go write a text book

Question to original poster-
    Why did you change engines?

If it was because the first one was locked up ,,, there's some other stuff to look at here

30. First remove spark plugs and see if anything comes out the sprak plug holes. Once you verify trans and converter are not the problem. Assuming it turns over easily with no converter hooked up and no plugs, then you can pretty much concentrate on starter.