Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical rearend gurus need your advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 35chevymaster, Sep 1, 2015.

1. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

S10 10 bolt I'm changing to road gears how close am I ? What do I need to do ? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

This should be interesting.

I'd probably run it. They look like new gears though, I don't have much experience with them.

3. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

11924964_10203509201449927_1351432218917960853_n.jpg Why would it be interesting ? ,my 48 willy's pickup came with a S10 rearend & needed new gears still had 4cyl. gears

4. Nice Willy's.

1927graham likes this.

5. aaggie

aaggie

Pattern looks like the pinion is too deep.

6. inthweedz

inthweedz

I was told this rhyming verse when adjusting diff gears, depending where the marks are..
    Heel and Toe... Wheel must go (move the crown wheel)
    Face and Flank.. Move the crank (move the pinion)
    I agree with aaggie, pinion looks too deep, pull it out a bit, also might have to move the C/W in to get correct backlash..

7. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

OK I'll remove a shim from pinion and check again Thanks for the info..

8. squirrel

squirrel

Interesting, meaning I might learn something.

9. Did you load the ring gear when you ran the pattern? It helps to simulate the load of actual driving conditions. I think that will move the pattern toward the heel a bit. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong... It's been a while since I've done this kind of work. :rolleyes:

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is your backlash at?
    Did you load the pinion as you took your reading as ClayMart asked?
    Are these new gears or used?

11. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

New gears ,, I held pressure on ring gear when i spun pinion , backlash .005

12. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

back off pinion a bit and I think your gravy, just re check backlash after moving pinion and setting the pattern, looks like your on the right path by me.

13. Larry T

Larry T

Just out of curiosity, what thickness shim did you use on the pinion gear? What was the thickness of the original pinion shim?

14. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

I used original shim .030. To start with. . Pinion was loose is what caused me to look at gears.

15. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0.005" is too tight. Back off the pinion a bit and re check you your backlash. I aim for 0.008".
    recheck your pattern

Larry T likes this.
  16. Yep, backlash is .007"-.009" factory setting, sweet spot being .008". I also agree with the others, pinion looks too deep. Original carrier/pinion bearings or new? factory turning preload is 25-28 inch pounds without brakes installed.

17. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

New bearings . I knew backlash was tight just trying to get pinion depth right first. . I'll remove .005 and recheck. . Thanks for your help. ..

18. Larry T

Larry T

Opening up the back lash will change the pattern, I'd try that before I changed shims. And I'll agree with .008.

19. Hell I'll learn you something, One Off is bad anglish it should be one of. :rolleyes:

The first pick the pinion needs to move toward the outside of the ring. Second pic looks like the pinion is hitting in the correct place but the rear is a little loose. Use a double thickness of news print to set your lash, roll it through the gears, it should be creased but not broken, the creases should be sharp not lazy.

Moselli likes this.
  20. Larry T

Larry T

Come on Benno, they're not made of Unobtainium. Come in handy for other stuff too. :D

Ya made me check, double thickness of our paper is .006. Musta been made offshore.

Dial indicator.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  21. squirrel

squirrel

haven't got a newspaper for a while....usually I only buy one when I'm on the front page.

22. I actually have a couple but I still use news print. I have some still from when I was at the star (made in Canada) the double thickness of what I have comes out to .01o5 to .011. I guess old habits die hard. :eek:

I was on the front page of the Chronicle once, with a bunch of other guys, I hope that never happens again. At least I was in good company. ;)

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was in the paper once. It was pretty funny when the officer testified that "upon apprehension, he offered me a jelly doughnut"....:D

Texas Webb and porknbeaner like this.
  24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I may need more learning on this statement
    The shims do not change the pinion looseness or preload that is the job of the crush sleeve.
    I set them up without the crush sleeve and pinion seal tell I get them wright then take all apart clean, lube install crush sleeve and seal then set pinion preload.

25. LOL reminds me of the great gas pump massacre.

I launched into some pumps in Lebanon, MO once. The kid at the station hollered, "don't you leave I called the cops." So I went inside and bought some HoHos. They used to come two in a package. I wasn't going anywhere anyway I bent the hell out of my clutch linkage. I was still eating when the cop showed up siren blazing and gun drawn. Then he looked at me and said, "Ah hell its just you. Are you hurt?" I said, "Nope want a HoHo?" He said yes then we got things sorted out. :D

26. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

Saltflats yeah I thought maybe it was bearings. Whoever done it before I got it never crushed the sleeve.

27. keyster

keyster

I like this video for an explanation of how adjustments change the pattern.