Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Short insulator spark plugs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vet57air, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Changed out my aluminum angle plug vortec heads for a pair of Edelbrock etec 200 straight plug heads. 90 degree plug boots worked very well on the old heads but now the plugs on the new heads are very close to my 1 3/4" header tubes. Have looked and tried the recommended Champion
    RC12YC plugs and also the short Accel plugs (which are about the same length). But they are very close to the header tubes. Have found some NGK racing spark plugs R7282-9 that have a very short insulator that looks like it would work (half the length of the Champions and Accels). Has anyone tried these? Heat range could be an issue. Any down side other than the price of $50 apiece.

plug195313_resized.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. that is not just close, it will touch.
    It is too close even if it did not touch because there is a lot of radiated heat from the headers. I don't think a short plug would help enough by itelf.
    A little stainless sheet stock between the header and plug wiring would help as would asbestos or heat wrap

3. Did you ever think of changing the style of headers that you are using??

4. Thought that was a miss print. $50 dollars a piece! Amazon has them for $36. Don't know your clearance issues with the headers in your ride but $300 could go a long way towards new headers.

5. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I would mark the affected areas/tubes and take pics for reference - remove the headers, heat them with a torch lay a large socket across the area (using a long extension as a handle) and give it a couple of good raps with a BFH......you will end up with a nice gradual "impression" that gives you the needed clearance......and all its will cost is new gaskets!

Model T1 likes this.
  6. At 50 dollars a pop I would think that a little ding in the header tube and porcelain boots would be a better option, or even just the more modern insulated boots.

The problem I see more then price is going to be reach. Are the plugs the right length to work with the heads properly?

7. aaggie

aaggie

Dents, insulators and short plugs all work to some degree but do it right and get some headers that work.

Model T1 likes this.
  8. So the short racing plugs were not an option at any price as they are very "COLD" plugs for racing. I took the headers off and dimpled the two center tubes to give clearance and will use the porcelain boots.

Model T1 likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

10. squirrel

squirrel

Happy grinding!