Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 11 Weeks: The Bass '32 Roadster Version 1.0

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bass, Jun 18, 2015.

1. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

Hey Brian,

Great looking car I look forward to seeing it at The Race of Gentlemen this fall.

Do you have anymore pictures of your front crossmember? I'm doing the same thing now. I was curious where you spliced in the Model A center?

Thanks

2. You got that right Boss! HRP

3. hasty

hasty

Really good to see another Bass build - and stunning photographs

Bass likes this.
  4. scotti32

scotti32

5. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Nice!!

wingnutz and 46Chief like this.
  6. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Great build, amazing quality of workmanship. You are setting the bar very high here !

7. The fact that you built that in 11 weeks is so rad! It honestly looks just like the '32 I've been dreaming of building for years:rolleyes:

8. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I just looked and I can't find any photos of where I worked on the front crossmember. I guess I didn't take any for some reason, or I accidentally deleted them. Anyway, if you zoom in on the photo below, you can sort of see the crossmember. It's spliced just to the inside of the raised "bumps" in the crossmember for the radiator, back to the inside edge of the motor mounts.

Img_7390b.jpg

In the above photo, I was in the middle of pulling the motor and transmission to fix a noisy throw-out bearing and a cluster gear problem. The '39 box now has a cherry gearset out of a rebuilt '47 Ford sideshift trans. I had it apart in about an hour and a half, and it was back together and driving the next day. It shifts so much better now!

So far, that's about the only mechanical problem I've encountered, and I've been driving the car a bunch. I did hang the oil pan drain plug on a speedbump a couple of days ago, but I realized what was happening and was able to back off of it. That didn't seem to hurt anything, fortunately.

Only other update I have for now is that I did some minor bodywork on the bare metal patches on the bottom of the body, and spotted in some red oxide primer. I think it looks a lot better than the bare metal spots did.

Img_7456b.jpg

pecker head, Stogy, Woogeroo and 8 others like this.
  9. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

Thanks, thats where I spliced my crossmember also.

10. pitman

pitman

Clean and simple lines, great color choice too, love this one Mr. B!

Stogy likes this.
  11. Missed this thread until now, all that work in 11weeks who are you superman, unbelievable you have got amazing talent and an eye for the way things should be.

Stogy and jackandeuces like this.
  12. stephane-rod

stephane-rod
    from france

13. Man I am not usually a fan of red cars but between this and the Cannarozzi car I am starting to change my mind.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Very Nice. Good Old School Hot Rod

Stogy likes this.
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Man look at thing! It's perfect, he's says "it's just a driver".

Stogy likes this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car does look good even with the primer spots.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. With that last picture you just posted this officially just became my new dream car.

18. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Everybody likes pictures right?

Here are some more pictures of the roadster, including photos from the Hot Rod Hillclimb and Reliability Run in Georgetown, CO.

Img_8184b.jpg

Img_8191b.jpg

Img_7898b.jpg

Img_7921b.jpg

Img_8158b.jpg

Img_7989b.jpg

1hillclimbB2.jpg

Img_8159b.jpg

Img_8073b.jpg

ettienneb.jpg

bass32roadster2b.jpg

Img_8282b.jpg

The last two are of the car in race trim for The Race of Gentlemen. See you there!

-Brian

19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Agh..... Makin memories.

20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

It's really perfect. Just what a hot rod should look like. Nice work dude!

I also like the photo of it parked in front of the modern/ranch house. I am restoring my 1962 mcm home in Fort Worth.

[​IMG]

21. I'm betting you're not missing the A roadster so much now.

22. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I miss the '29 when I bury my foot in the throttle! That little 283 would really move. I've found that I can get a similar thrill out of driving the '32 if I just don't slow down to turn or go around corners. It handles really well, which surprised me since it has an un-boxed frame, torque tube rear, and lever shocks.

Cool! Yeah, that's our 1952 MCM house in East Irving that we've been working on for a while now. Talk about an expensive hobby! Mid century modern furniture and appointments make hot rods seem cheap!

brEad and Runnin shine like this.
  23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I look up to you Brian for his car choices. My wife now looks up you(and yours) for your home choices.
    When does work on the 5w begin, will it take 10 or 12 weeks to complete, and did the Wade Coupe ever get done? I can't find anything on it finished.
    Oh yeah, are the garage doors closed
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441130814.818657.jpg
    because it's turned into a "Texas Basement" in there while the renovations ensue?

lothiandon1940 and tony starr like this.
  24. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

My '32 5-window is still a ways off since I have a '41 Willys and a '33 Ford PU to do first. I also still have my '29 Coupe and I want to get it painted and finished eventually. The Wade Coupe left the shop back in April after I finished all the fab work except for exhaust. It is basically ready to paint, but the owner decided to hold off on painting it for now. I believe it's in Omaha getting a few things done to make it driveable as-is.

The garage has two old cars in it. The restoration on the house is pretty much all finished. We have been working on it off and on for 8 or 9 years now.

25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks Brian, good to know. I'm very excited to see the Willys come to finished piece of art. When you were pondering the rear axle issues I started to look into giving you a free one then you seemed to get a handle on it. Guess I'll build a gasser with it someday.
    Good luck at TROG!

lothiandon1940 and Bass like this.
  26. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Simply put — A beautiful roadster.

lothiandon1940 and Bass like this.
  27. Rad shots! I also love the one of it in front of you're home!

Bass likes this.
  28. Nice deuce! The roundup was alot of fun.Wish we had saw your car close up. Your build will help ours too. Maybe see you next year with our buids finished. six flaggs593.jpg

kiwijeff and Bass like this.
  29. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Here's the racer card from this year's "The Race of Gentlemen." Leaving in a little over a week...and I'm about to pull the motor out of the car to do some clutch maintenance and attempt to install a SCoT blower.

Long nights ahead.

Bass_Brian_card_zpskbgobmw5.jpg

30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Who's says Chivalry is dead in Texas? Man look at all that class! A supercharger and a Stetson what a way to fly.

brEad, lothiandon1940 and LSGUN like this.