Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs brake line advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by worn shoes, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

ONEHUNGLOW

worn shoes likes this.
  2. worn shoes

worn shoes

I had that coming ( i'm sure you can turn this one into something too ;) )

3. daddio211

daddio211

And henceforth they shall be known as Slimeworks.

worn shoes likes this.
  4. worn shoes

worn shoes

20150830_083531.jpg 20150830_092613.jpg 20150830_092541.jpg
    So I took the 53 out today. It ran and stopped great! So I got a hair up my a** and took the other two out as well :) I was just missing my 51. She's all full of dust.

5. rfraze

rfraze

Thanks for the pics.

lothiandon1940 and worn shoes like this.
  6. worn shoes

worn shoes

No worries man!

7. EBW

EBW

Just saw and read through all of this....

Hats off to you Worn Shoes. I will buying you a beer or two if I see you at a So Cal show.

I can say this, I was looking at Steve's products a while back to purchase for my build, but at this point I think I will pass and go to another vendor. I realize I wouldn't be a big purchase to his business, but if more see this and do the same, a little goes a long way over time.

8. worn shoes

worn shoes

Thank you EBW! I wish Steve the best. I hope that this is a learning experience for him as well. It sucks but it is what it is!

9. daddio211

daddio211

Happy birthday Joel!

worn shoes likes this.
  10. worn shoes

worn shoes

Thanks Mr. Hibbs! Maybe Limeworks will call with a B-day refund hahaha

volvobrynk and EBW like this.
  11. daddio211

daddio211

I wouldn't hold my breath... unless you're blowing out your candles!

worn shoes likes this.
  12. worn shoes

worn shoes

Waited to hear a 2002 BMW revving up the street with cake and some cash but nothing like that occurred.

daddio211 likes this.
  13. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

For some reason hearing that he showed up in a BMW makes the whole situation worse....... In my head he was at least driving a hotrod.

little red 50 and daddio211 like this.
  14. worn shoes

worn shoes

No hahah He drives a late 60's early 70's BMW. My buddies have been giving me grief.

15. Nice Ford collection you have there. I'm envious.:)

daddio211 and worn shoes like this.
  16. prpmmp

prpmmp

WOW!! Now I really hate him:( Pete

daddio211 and worn shoes like this.
  17. worn shoes

worn shoes

Thank you! Was missing my 51 Ford and my Model A pick up project. All old Fords :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. worn shoes

worn shoes

He's a BMW fan. The one that made me sad was his hot rod project with alfa romeo drive train. To each their own!

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

BMW? Alfa Romeo? Now I know he's a loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

little red 50 and worn shoes like this.
  20. little red 50

little red 50

Now it's starting to make since, BMW owners will try everything to make their cars stop leaking fluids. I guess JB weld works on those.

Why did BMW never get into making computers?.................................................
    Because they couldn't get them to quit leaking oil.

volvobrynk, daddio211 and worn shoes like this.
  21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

And I have found BMW drivers to be some of the most agressive drivers on the road. Sort of displays their arrogance!

worn shoes likes this.
  22. worn shoes

worn shoes

Yeah it was like a swift kick to my flesh sac. Its a contradiction to his business. Driving European tin cans yet selling American classic car parts :(

little red 50 likes this.
  23. $95.00 is a pretty common shop rate in So Cal. My shop was $100.00, and I know a few that are $125.00
    The local Chevrolet dealer is $125.00 and the VW dealer is $130.00
    The price we pay to have a building on So Cal dirt!

worn shoes likes this.
  24. worn shoes

worn shoes

25. worn shoes

worn shoes

Being a former shop owner and charging that much, would you have offered a refund for the type of work I received? I'm just carious as to how other shop owner would handle it.

26. Budget36

Budget36

I'm thinking another shop owner would have:
    1. Not let it go on for two years
    2. Not let it leave the shop until the issues were corrected

Refund/money/etc..I won't even offer an opinion, because after I help someone out, I'm usually paying them, to work on their cars... ;)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. I charged $125/hr. in the San Francisco Bay Area. That wasn't enough to cover overhead with rent being what it is here.

28. Paying a labor rate At 95.00 an hour or 100 an hour, or regionally at the top of the food chain, I'd say that you're entitled to some things.

You'd expect much more than $8.00 an hour worth of results, precision knowledge, performance, right?

You'd expect at 95-100 an hour that proficiency levels are equally represented at that level.

Dealers work off of a flat rate for hours and those hours are at the 95-100 range and some are even higher. In this situation you have a book or computer program that tells you exactly how long the job will take. The mechanic walks to the parts department and says I need A,B,C & D then walks to the job and puts those parts on the car. There's nothing even close in comparison. Out of those flat rate hrs the entire shop team gets paid. Hopefully the mechanic or technician can beat that rate installing exactly what stock parts came off. They DO NOT charge 100 an hour and go at time and material basis. They don't fabricate, they don't modify, they don't create, they don't even fix stuff that can be fixed, they swap parts. Again its flat rate, so if someone is fucking the dog or kicking ass and taking names moving things over to the done pile it doesn't effect the charge of the customer or the guys pay. That's why the hustle usually.

With paying 95-100 an hour on a time and material basis there should be pretty good accounting of time spent on the project. There is only a very rare occasion when the planets align and 8 hr day has 8 hrs production. I'd expect that.

$ 100 an hour shouldn't include mistakes and do overs charged at $100 an hour because at those rates the craftsmanship and experience are far beyond the apprentice level where mistakes are common.

You think it would be far to expect that at 100 an hour on T&M basis that everything is done to exacting standards that are just this side of perfection. A guy spends 20 mins taking a dump, 2 mins washing his hands 19 times a day everytime he picks up his cell phone to get a smiley face text from to his old lady that he talks to more at work than he does at home , 15 mins making DR appointments and makes that time up by rushing and cutting corners on your car. Bullshit - take 200 off the bill for that day. That gets the rate down to $75 an hour.

I've seen shops make a layout, draw up a part and fab a really nice part in just a few hours, like a set of motor mounts. I've seen shops take 2 days to build some fucked up ratty crap engine mounts. Does that mean the shitty ones are worth 10x more that the nice ones. No, it means the first shop is worth 10 times more that the other guy.

29. Budget36

Budget36

When I left the Bay Area (Fremont) in '00, the Chevy dealer off Thorenson?? and 880 was at 115 an hour then, can't imagine what it is now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.