Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage BONNEVILLE SPEED WEEK INFO:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 383deuce, Jul 12, 2015.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I remember that purple car with the somewhat disturbing nose art.

2. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I was out in Salt Lake city last week visiting my family and I see no reason for cancelling the trials.
    Some of the salt is still pretty bumpy and it would need a good smoothing out. My son said it has been hot and dry for the last month. They do have quite a bit of smoke from all of the neighboring states wild fires. In the afternoon when the winds die down you can hardly see the mountains from a mile away! I think that might curtail any viewing for the long courses and maybe the 2 mile one too..

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

For those who have not lost interest completely. USFRA canceled World of Speed this morning. I was thinking they might get a 3 mile run up, but no. Last week the Venturi electric car ran around 246 for a record in it's class. Running on the International course. Reported poor conditions. I guess it's over for this year. Still waiting to hear from Mike Cook. But I doubt he will have anything good to say.

Attached Files:

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

maybe this will help brighten your day DSCN4053 (640x480).jpg DSCN3894.JPG DSCN3895 (640x480).jpg DSCN3897 (640x480).jpg DSCN3898 (640x480).jpg DSCN3900 (640x480).jpg DSCN3901 (640x480).jpg DSCN3902 (640x480).jpg DSCN3903 (640x480).jpg DSCN3904 (640x480).jpg DSCN3905 (640x480).jpg DSCN3910 (640x480).jpg

Attached Files:

5. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^ There is no joy in Pleasanton today, nor is there in North Carolina ^^^^^^

vic

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Was looking more for something like this

Attached Files:

7. Todd553

Todd553

Hey Rich,
    That looks more like it. IMG_1296.jpg Or this.

8. 296ardun

296ardun

I have never raced at Bonneville, and been there only once....but I realize how much work it takes to build a car for the salt, and how disappointing it is for this to have happened two years running...I don't know what the ultimate answer is...and understand the combination of weather and mining effects on Bonneville....just have to hope that the salt gods ultimately work to make the course runnable again...

9. trollst

trollst

Not complaining, just whinig, but I been gonna go all my adult life, ready this year, no salt, like the stones wrote, "what a drag it is getting old" I'll be ready next year.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

By the time the salt is dry, I will have time enough to go again!

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Don't know if Bob is going to the Cook test and tune. I know they are ready for some seat time in the car.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll bet. It has been a while.

13. I am sad that my lakester is sitting unfinshed in my shop. That is Jeems artwork of it in my avatar.

14. burbanite

burbanite

SLC isn't Bonneville, they are 120 miles apart. The people who are very, very experienced at putting on LSR events could not produce a safe course and were the ones who determined that the race couldn't go ahead. They didn't do this on a whim, they tried their very best to get something for people to run on and it proved to be impossible.

The SCTA cannot run the event just anywhere they wish, the BLM tell them which part of the flats to use and that is all that they have to work with. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that visiting friends way over in SLC near the lake where the weather is good doesn't qualify you as being able to second guess the experts who were miles away at the actual site doing the prep.

15. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

This was the year we were heading to Speed Week to run my flathead Ford powered rear engine modified roadster. When I received the call that Speed Week was canceled a huge sense of sadness came over me. The time and effort being put into getting a car ready plus building spare motors and getting all the needed equipment ready for the 2400 mile journey for me was an endless 10 months of non stop work the amount of energy put forth was extensive and this was on a car I already had runs on for the last four years here on the East Coast setting records at ECTA and LTA races .
    After the cancellation we all began learning how bad the salt flats had become. Daily many of us looked for updates on the conditions. One racer Sid took it upon himself to see what the salt actually looks like the attached video shows his findings.
    The BLM and the mining company have a lot of explaining to do what was once a natural treasure has been turned into a mud flats of sorts this really sucks for all of us.

16. Dang, what a mess. Glad I was able to go to speed week in '13. Might have been the last one....sure hope not.
    Thanks for the video.

17. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I happen to know where Bonneville is. Don't assume anything you're not sure of. I was there with the Cadillac Racing team.

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It is right to be concerned about the salt condition. But along with all the "Sky is falling" thoughts. Be aware that the Venturi electric streamliner set a record on the salt last week. Mike Cook is still planning on running motorcycles in September two ways below 300 mph. And faster away from the freeway. Maybe some cars. I might be on the salt shortly. But it is a mess right now. SCTA and USFRA and the bike guys did what they had to do for the course they run on.

19. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Rich
    At the Venturi event, they had to groom the salt after every run, the weight of the vehicle broke through the top salt that is sitting on the mountain dirt.

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I know it's not good. But it's not quite the end of Bonneville, forever. I read Cooks message and I understand that bikes will be running both ways under 300. One way over 300. And some cars can run one way. I have not heard from Bob, 7800 AA/BFS, but if he can run, I expect to be out there running.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SHOOTOUT NEWS (click)
    http://landspeedevents.com/blog/

8/28/15

COOK SHOOTOUT POSTPONED FOR STREAMLINERS ONLY : Click link above for details SHOOTOUT FOR STREAMLINERS MOVED TO OCT. 12-16 2015 Revised Shootout: September 17-21(current entries)DIRECT HOTLINE 951 675-3070

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You need to read the whole thing. The Shootout is postponed. Replaced by the Cook Test and Tune.
    Motorcycle streamliners over 300 mph will be able to test and tune one-way, but will not be able to run both ways for records because we don’t want them coming back toward the highway at those speeds. A limited number of cars will also be accepted for one-way test and tune only as we did last year. Call Mike Cook direct for cost and signup information. 951 675-3070.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"2015 NEWS

2015 Revised Shootout Date: September 17-21Contact:
    [email protected]
    Direct Hotline 951 675-3070
    8/29/15

For racers planning to attend the limited FIM/AMA motorcycle event on September 17-21, please note the following from Dan Warner, President of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club.

The Bonneville 200 MPH Club does not accept AMA records in excess of 200 MPH for club membership at this time. FIM entrants can be assured that by meeting the criteria of the FIM and exceeding either a current Bonneville 200 MPH Club class record or minimum will be accepted for membership. The current list of motorcycle records can be found at the club’s website, www.bonneville200mph.org.

Please direct any questions to Dan at
    [email protected]

8/28/15COOK SHOOTOUT POSTPONED FOR STREAMLINERS ONLY (Streamliners moved to Oct. 12-16)

SEE ALTERNATIVES HERE: The formal Cook Shootout scheduled for September 17-21 is canceled because the track may look okay, but we feel it won’t currently support very fast high powered streamliners. We still have our October rain date (October 12-16) open for the Shootout and will continue to groom the track toward that date for the full streamliner Shootout event right up till until the last minute. Current entrants please call Mike for updates.

In place of the scheduled Shootout (September 17-21) we will still run the motocycle entries and call it Cook’s FIM/AMA Speed Event with certified two-way FIM/AMA record timing available for sit down motorcycles. These are bikes that were already entered for the Shootout plus a few others. It is not an alternate or substitute for the Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials which were also forced to cancel. It is for FIM record entries only. We have been fortunate that the international course was spared most of the damage that ruined the other courses, and while it also will not currently support a large event, we can accommodate the smaller group of motorcycles from the Shootout entry list.

Motorcycle streamliners over 300 mph will be able to test and tune one-way, but will not be able to run both ways for records because we don’t want them coming back toward the highway at those speeds. A limited number of cars will also be accepted for one-way test and tune only as we did last year. Call Mike Cook direct for cost and signup information. 951 675-3070.

IMPORTANT: If you even think you want to get in on the motorcycle event for FIM we need your name on the list before Monday 8/31/15 so we can tell them who is coming. They may not accept last minute entries that just show up. Call Mike on the weekend and at least leave a message as we will update our confirmation list to them on Monday.

Some of the confirmed entries now include:
    Al Lamb
    Jamie Williams
    Scott Kolb
    Valerie Thompson
    Leslie Porterfield
    Eva Hakansson

We will continue to update you as this unfolds and hope that the additional time for the primary shootout will help the bad spots on the course come around in time for mid-October so the big boys can run for records."

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I found.

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Same thing I pulled that little part out of. Now I am waiting for Bob to call. I still have not unloaded the van.

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

weather long range forecast says all Sun now through Cook's Shootout dates