Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs brake line advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by worn shoes, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boutlaw

boutlaw

You did an awesome job repairing the previous mess. You certainly handled that stuation better than most without losing your cool. That takes a strong person with self control and integrity. Its so easy to fly off the handle and say things one may regret.
    Your weight lifting story is scarey as my youngest son has continued lifting at college. That story wll be passed on to him.
    You have my utmost respect Sir, for a lot of reasons.......now drive that car that YOU repaired...

daddio211, TagMan and worn shoes like this.
  2. worn shoes

worn shoes

I appreciate the kind words above. I always tell people that its true that you can get hurt while lifting weights. We sometimes want to be the tough guy but it has consequences. I'll take it out this Friday. Thanks again boutlaw

daddio211 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. Just a push up for this thread....... And no word from LW! :-( And i'll keep pushing for WS!

daddio211 likes this.
  4. worn shoes

worn shoes

Thanks invisiblekid. Yeah he hasn't reached out. But to be fair, he might still be on vacation. Let's give it time.

daddio211 likes this.
  5. Road Runner

Road Runner

Looks like he was already on vacation when he did your brake lines.

Rather than selling their biz, which wasn't worth anything anymore after the recession started, many shop owners laid off employees and started doing the few incoming jobs themselves. (Not only in the classic car field -btw)

Yet the enormity of their pride and ego doesn't allow them to swallow it, when they realize they can't even do the most basic DIY jobs anymore after sitting in the office or on the beach with clean hands for all those prior cozy years.

daddio211 and worn shoes like this.
  6. worn shoes

worn shoes

Truth 101

7. daddio211

daddio211

No apologies and NO offense was taken! What you said was damn funny and I appreciate your comments regarding my family, my wife is great! My religion is highly misunderstood and fun to crack jokes about... even I do it!

worn shoes likes this.
  8. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

My wife and I were taking a tour of the Beehive House in SLC a few years back. Shortly after the tour began
    the two guides began asking me about my knowledge of the Bible, knowledge of the Mormon religion, etc. It
    seemed like they were on a recruiting mission and I was getting uncomfortable with it. I finally told them that I had been raised a Catholic, I had one wife already.................and didn't need a dozen more! Ha

LET'S KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE UNTIL STEVE PAYS UP!!

9. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

AMEN, with a btt! I'm VERY suprised Ryan has been quiet on this issue after 14 pages... maybe he has tried to contact Steve without sucess (vacation time again???).

Me thinks if Steve can afford a couple vacations a year 'over the pond', then it shouldn't be much of a streach to knock on 'shoes door with 12 bills and an aploigy. That would raise his respect 100 fold here... NEVER too late to do THE RIGHT THING!

Steve should have resolved the issue within the first week - even if it ment eating the AN crap, and used standard brake line. I just can't wrap my head around HOW a businessman can jack-around / blow-off a customer over a SAFETY ISSUE, after that client spent $7k with you. It shouldn't matter if he spent $70 or 7-large, I'd think a shop owner would do whatever it took to preserve his reputation AND minimize his libality, ASAP!

Ryan, how about an elbow nudge to Steve... or a hundred???

NICE work on the lines 'shoes! Enjoy the SMILES PER MILE behind the wheel... :)

- Tim

daddio211, volvobrynk and worn shoes like this.
  10. worn shoes

worn shoes

6-bangertim, thanks for the support! If all he did was just apologize i'd be happy :) He said he did on page 3 but when he was here I never heard it. "Sorry you got my rag" is what he told me. Sounded more like blaming me? I don't know!

11. Not sure if it has the same connotation in the U.S. but I would take "sorry you got my rag" as meaning sorry for being over the top emotional, being a dick, getting mad so easily etc. The rag aspect meaning being emotional like a woman at that time of the month. To me it would be an apology for the way he acted but not for the work done.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    worn shoes likes this.
  12. worn shoes

worn shoes

Maybe he did I don't know. All I know was when he was yelling at me he said " now you've got my rag and your pissing me off!" So when he was walking away from me at my home is when he said " Sorry you got my rag" he didn't convey it in a nice manner. I assumed like he was trowing a low blow and blaming me for the situation. I like a simple " i'm sorry" I understand that haha

K13 likes this.
  13. Road Runner

Road Runner

I really want a dismissive untouchable alliance biz owner to come to my house, revving his engine and apologize for his f'up because it was his time of the month.
    And to get over it he has to keep all my cash and spend it at his family vacation retreat in Hawaii.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  14. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

JB Weld? WTF? He didn't have a real welder?:p

worn shoes likes this.
  15. worn shoes

worn shoes

He wore his welding hood and made welding noises under it as he mixed the two parts together on a piece of card board. Hahaha

rocknrolldaddy and daddio211 like this.
  16. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

lose your rag
    (British & Australian informal)
    to suddenly become very angry and start shouting He said one too many stupid things and I just lost my rag. It was the only time I've ever lost my rag with someone in an office situation.

worn shoes likes this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I actually just read this entire thread... had no idea it existed until this morning.

In my opinion, this situation doesn't have really much to do with me and I don't see much of a reason for me to get involved. If this was some kind of an Alliance deal between an Alliance member and a vendor (which Steve is), I'd be very interested in being involved. However, it was not... As such, I'm in no position to police it, you know? I'm not a cop nor a member of some kind of BB unit.

However, the forum is in a position to police it naturally... And I think it has done that quite well. I also think @worn shoes has done a really good job of being reasonable as well as just illustrating the problem and what he did to fix it. And while he's done that, he brought to light what I can only guess was a really bad project for Steve.

I don't know Steve well, but I do know him. He's always been really nice to me and his work that I've seen has been pretty good. This work, obviously, was not... And I can't imagine an excuse for it so I won't attempt to make one for him.

At the end of the day, it is what it is... A guy with a really good track record apparently did some pretty bad work. In turn, the HAMB helped make it right by way of guidance and by use as a simple sounding board.

I think the HAMB worked.

warbird1, Texas57, Drunk Man and 7 others like this.
  18. Well said, Ryan.

worn shoes likes this.
  19. worn shoes

worn shoes

I thank you for chiming in Ryan. I have to say I agree with the above. I used the HAMB how it was intended for and got the answers I needed.

daddio211 and czuch az like this.
  20. worn shoes

worn shoes

Haha I dig it! I still think he meant it as a dig for "pissing him off"

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unqualified apologies can be very powerful.

Now, let's see what Steve does, and act accordingly.

worn shoes likes this.
  22. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Seems to me he apologized only for his temper, not for his work product. Worn Shoes deserves an apology for the work product.

Texas57, LWEL9226, volvobrynk and 2 others like this.
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Indeed.

volvobrynk and 6-bangertim like this.
  24. worn shoes

worn shoes

I know its hard to convey something through text. I just know that it came off with a very condescending tone. He was walking away with his back toward me. I've never apologized to anyone in that way. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and not beat the dead horse!

25. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

26. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

I can't find fault with what RYAN said, but I am disappointed that he won't bring this to Steve's attention with a PM - that YOUR rep has turned to shit on this thread, you need to read through it and think about the situation... I just wanted Ryan to encourage Steve to think about this deal, nothing more.

If Steve wants to blow this off a second time, so be it. It will be up to the rest of us on the HAMB to remember Steve and Limeworks as a VENDOR OF LAST RESORT!

volvobrynk and worn shoes like this.
  27. worn shoes

worn shoes

Having you and others stand up for me is more then I ever expected. I sincerely appreciate you guys sticking your necks out for me. Thanks again!

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Trust me, I don't have to call it to Steve's attention.

lothiandon1940 and worn shoes like this.
  29. I read the entire 14 pages,
    worn shoes my hat is off to you for your way handling of the situation.

So it's interesting here to me.
    We have stainless lines (hard to extreme) and aluminum fittings (soft to extreme) In order to pull this off the stainless flairs need to be perfect, beyond reproach, flawless which is impossible. because the soft aluminum fittings can't force the hard lines to fit the imperfections of their own. It can be done if seal cones are used. http://secoseals.com

Double inverted flairs are more pliable and distort to the brass because of the nature of the forces, and the brass is more forgiving while conforming to imperfections creating a leak free seal. Even though the line is folded over on a double flair, it's not completely free of void within that fold. Often times a steel and brass fitting can be cured of a leak simply by loosening and tightening the fitting allowing the 2 surfaces to distort a bit more to each other. That's just not going to happen with aluminum AN fittings and stainless lines.

lothiandon1940 and worn shoes like this.
  30. mike bowling

mike bowling

14 pages and going strong! This has turned out to be quite the thread! I think "Worn Shoes" should get a special award for inspiring people to act civilized in the face of disaster. I would have gone into "mental meltdown" putting that kind of money down and seeing that first collection of mixed crap offered as "a job well done". Looked like someone decided to clean out their brake parts leftover bin, sparked up a fattie, and got creative! Yikes! My hat is off to you, sir ( and my bags are still packed for Hawaii - as soon as we get a departure date!) In the meantime, I'm trying to develop a taste for poi ( not going well.)

worn shoes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.