Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical oldsmobile-what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61oldsbubbletop, Aug 26, 2015.

1. hello, this is my first post on this site as i joined yesterday my name is mic and im in a jam!

- I have got a 1961 oldsmobile dynamic, this car originally came with the UPGRADED 394 skyrocket wich was a rare option from the factory but now that engine is sitting on the floor and i have a 350 chevy paired to a 700r4 in it and being a 4900 pound car i get 30 miles per gallon lol
    but my jam is i wanted to make the chevy engine look like the olds engines with the valve cover wire looms and paint it red but i REALLY like the vintage chevy look with finned every thing out the ass!
    what do you guys think! thanks -MIC

2. I think you should leave it Chebby so that people don't think you're a poser and ship the Skyrocket to me because you obviously don't know what to do with it and I will make good use of it. :D

Welcome to the HAMB if you don't have thick skin I would suggest front quarter horse hide stitched and fitted. ;)

3. Welcome to the HAMB young man,,,A word of advice here on the HAMB,,,Dont try to impess all us old geezers with a bunch of BS...we are like an old turd,there is no steam on it...At 14 yrs of age,sit back and read here and learn what the HAMB is all about.

Squablow likes this.
  4. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Sound wisdom from Beaner and WB---

5. Welcome.

It's your car, so build what you like.
    If you want the "Olds look", put the 394 back in.

da34guy and Martin_F like this.
  6. Hey pay attention he's sending the olds to me so I can put it in my sedan. :D

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  7. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Just leave the hood down and you'll definitely have the OLDS look and Beaner can put the 394 to good use and send you a picture! Joe

porknbeaner likes this.
  8. Someone on here fairly recently did a 350 Chevy in an Olds, either a '61 or '62. Track him down to see what he went through.

9. LOL we're havin fun now.

hey wait a minute we haven't even seen the olds in question yet. ;)

10. CGkidd

CGkidd

Hey I want the olds.

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If Beaner decides he doesn't want it I'll put myself 2nd in line for the freebie.

12. Wouldn't that be the chit in front of my B&M in the Southern Employment Special? Hell I'd even run it with a slim jim if I had it.

You up for a bat trip to the border? :D :D Damned shame to let it sit on the floor and go to the devil.

13. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Those old 394 are stump pulling SOB's. If it is a runner I wouldn't change it, if you go chevy leave it chevy.

14. Welcome to the HAMB!
    Here is some encouragement! (Don't let all these geezers intimidate you)
    You can get lots of knowledge around here, but you will have to sort it
    out yourself. wbrw32 is right, you can't bs us! But also, we were all 14,
    once, and you have a great start and opportunity already!
    Look for threads that have to do with your application.
    Find out the specs on your engine. Learn as much as you can.
    It's all on the internet, and of course here.
    Much has been done here by many before you.
    You have a killer low RPM torque monster engine sitting
    on your floor, a weeny Chebby that everybody uses in everything in the bay,
    and about 2 years 'till you can drive legit.
    The car is talking to you.
    NOBODY will be impressed with the Chev, even LESS dressed like an Olds,
    but uniqueness will be yours if you put the 394 back in.
    I know of what I speak. I had a '63 Dynamic 88 back in '72 with the 394
    and low RPM torque is very impressive in a big car,
    plus it looks like yours is a bubble top, the coolest body!
    Find out why the engine came out. It will probably need a simple rebuild,
    (they were very stout) ask Beaner he knows.
    Find a reputable rebuilder, or maybe check with your old man.
    Get it back together befor you get your license and you will learn a lot about old cars.
    After you drive it a while you can go further with mods if you like.
    Maybe you can sell the whole car to Beaner! Or me!
    Those big Olds look great with Torque thrusts!
    Good luck!

belair and wbrw32 like this.
  15. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Welcome to the H.A.M.B.,Mic! A 61 Olds bubbletop is a very cool car. If anyone questions the Chevy,just tell them it's Canadian,eh?

Tony Martino likes this.
  16. GV said stump pullers and that is an understatement. I like a lot of engines and two engines I love, the SBC ( in the proper environment) and the olds 394. I have had a few early '60s Oldsmobiles over the years they used to be granny mobiles and were cheap. One was a 63 delta that I robber every good part I could off an old police interceptor and it would literally scare you when you mashed the loud peddle.

I think that the Sky Rocket was the 11.5:1 car as opposed to the 10.5:1 motor. I may be mistaken, but I don't think so. Unless it has been at the bottom of the ocean at most it probably just needs inserts and rings, maybe a valve job. For some reason the blocks don't seem to wear on them must have been high nickel content.

OK I took that one off the rails, like I said earlier welcome.

czuch az and Tony Martino like this.
  17. Where's the picture of the car? Show us a bubbletop already.

18. Beaner, if you think back, WAY BACK! I think the description was
    "Ultra High Compression". Mine had it on the air cleaner.
    You are right, 11.5:1 compression!
    Ran reall good on SUNOC 104! Even better on Cam-2!
    MIC, that engine is a keeper!!

19. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Very well said Tony

Tony Martino likes this.
  20. Well I told him every way I knew how. :D

You could run the 11.5 on pump gas and Moroso my 13 or so probably not it'll be race gas or nothing for it. I would take an 11.5 Olds 394 any day of the week for my model A.

Tony Martino likes this.
  21. I AGREE and I am 62. LOL. Bruce.

22. czuch az

czuch az

Mic, welcome.
    Ya see whats going on here, We're all on your side, ya just gotta have the moxie to live through it.
    Purists at heart, that will take a Model A barn find with 15 miles on it and do things that will make Henry do 10,000 rpm in the grave.
    I'd keep it Olds.
    (I doubt Mr Beaner is kidding though.)

23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very interesting profile, for a 14 year old. Or a 15 year old. You say both, which is it?
    Birthday:
    Dec 22, 2000 (Age: 14)
    car builder
    1961 olds dynamic 88 bubble top,1938 chevy 2 door sedan,1947 chevy 2 door sedan,46 mercury business coupe with 1500HP 460 ford 17:1 comp ratio pro street
    NO CLUB-lone wolf
    i am a 15 year old german living in the heart of canada where i shoot machineguns, build cars and drag race :)
    ----i own numerous old cars.
    ----i have a passion for classics and old shit.

24. I'm not a fan at all of 350s but if thats all the budget allows I totally get it. I would leave the Chevy a Chevy and note try and "fake" anything. Run the 350 until it takes a crap and later down the line when the budget allows throw an Olds back in:cool:

25. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

26. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Olds 394's never had 11.5 compression from the factory. The 345 hp Starfire had 10.5 and the 330 hp skyrocket had a little less. A 61 88 Olds also does not weigh 4900#. Also a 350 bowtie in a 61 Olds will not get 30 mpg.

27. Sometimes people get their kids to sign up for them because they are computer illiterate etc.

:rolleyes: ...or maybe he is a kid.

28. Aerorocket, you may be right on the 10.5, I am more than fuzzy sometimes!
    But the UHC was on the air cleaner.
    I do remember my '63- Dynamic 88 weighing 4100#

29. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

back in the '70s there was an engine shortage--or something--and gm was putting chevy engines in oldses. maybe other brands, too. most of the old farts that i worked with said, "what's the difference? the car runs fine!" to me, the olds mill was about 200% sweeter than a chevy, plus, if i'm buying an olds, i want an olds engine! my 2cents.

30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Party pooper. ;)