Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Exhaust pipe end for Rams Horn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Truckedup, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Truckedup

Truckedup

I have a SBC with 2 inch out Rams Horn exhaust manifolds. I 'm fabricating an exhaust and need the pipe end shaped to hold the exhaust donuts. I have made these in the past but just wondering if there's a place I can buy a short length to weld on my pipes. Local exhaust shops around me don't do this sort of stuff. thanks

2. czuch az

czuch az

Maybe junk yard and cut one off an existing pipe.
    That might be a crapshoot up there with the longevity of exaust and all, just the best I can come up with.

3. You should be able to get the flange and takeoff pipe from Walker.
    It might be listed by dimension for universal fit. It might be listed by application as well.

4. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

Find a friend who works in a muffler shop with a pipe bender machine, or a shop with one. They can take the pipe and clamp it in, pull a couple levers and it folds a ridge in the pipe to slide the donut on. That's how I had mine done.

5. Truckedup

Truckedup

6. Truckedup

Truckedup

The muffler shops in town say we don't do that or the guy who does that isn't here.Nothing any good in junkyards that would be like what I need.......I looked here at Walker parts and don't see them http://www.walkerexhaust.com/assets/downloads/english/Walker_Hardware_Accessories.pdf

last time I fabricated donut stops from 3/16 rod bent into a circle and then welded onto the the pipe.It worked out ok ,I just looking for a different way to do it...

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

When I first started out, my used machine didn't have a flaring tool. I'd cut the flares off of a Y pipe and welded them on. The manifold ends of a Y pipe are so hot that they never rust out. Finding a used rusty Y pipe could be a problem today.

8. What about flairing a pipe, cutting off the flaired part, sliding it over another piece of pipe and welding it together. That way you'll have the flaired part for the doughnut and the straight pipe to keep it centered

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  9. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I've seen short exhaust pipe pieces at Pep Boys and other parts stores.

10. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

11. LMFAO ( sorry about that) I usually have half a dozen head pipes just setting around and could have sent you some with torque flanges just cleaned that stuff out last year.

I'll bet if you get a JC Whitney catalog you can still buy head pipes for a chevy and just cut off what you don't need.

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

Well Well, I have a press and like a proper hillbilly I got trailer balls....Thanks for the tip

Beaner, that's ok, I cleaned out last year and threw out an old Chevy truck y pipe...

14. Tony

Tony

Trucked up, a friend of mine has a bender at his home shop on Rt 31 in Spencerport.
    If you cant find what you need let me know and i'll pm you his info.
    Pretty sure he can make whatever you may need and he's got many many years experience.

Tony

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What kind of dumbass muffler shops you got. Around here they don't mind making $10 bucks for 2 minutes work. See if you can find a small one man shop. The big chains don't want to know.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  16. Its catch 22, I get feeling crowded and can't seem to throw anything out and as soon as I do up jumps the devil. Damned if I do damned if I don't. :D

I am cleaning and rearranging today ( and the next week or two) if I run across something its yours. ;)

17. Truckedup

Truckedup

Thanks, I'll let you know..

18. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Can't take credit, saw it here and saved the pic to send to a buddy, who wanted to flare some injector stacks.

19. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Might not be the right way to do it, but I just made flat flanges to bolt to the manifold and welded my pipes to them. I made gaskets from header gasket material and it works fine.

Gary

20. studebaker46

studebaker46

go to napa check out the head pipe from 61-64 chev car with a small block

21. stimpy

stimpy

22. stimpy

stimpy

oh I forgot to mention change to a 3 bolt flange ...