Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Spurgin/Giovanine inspired 1925 Chev roadster build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jimmy B, May 2, 2010.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

really like that brake set up, went a to a ton of work to build one for my T speedster. now i knw i can just pilfer it off a chivy. keep up the fun!

2. 6 loads!?!?!?!? What a great find- should keep you busy for a while, Jimmy :D!

Hey, if you wind up with an extra pair of early valve covers (like in your 3rd pic), mine are missing :)

Jimmy B likes this.
  3. How did I miss this thread!!! So amazingly awesome. I'm guessing by the new rego plates and you went to toowoomba swap that your around the tweed area? I'm just in Nerang.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. CaliDreamin'

CaliDreamin'

Keep up the good work and stay motivated!!!

5. I'm half way between Murwillumbah & Nimbin, so that is why I use Tweed Valley.

ratty_aussie likes this.
  6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Jimmy, I can not find those on my basic map but I went to the rescue of an Aussie Inliner International friend last week. He was touring "The States" buying parts to send back to OZ. He broke down in his overloaded Dodge pickup about 100 miles away so I went on a rescue mission. I thought of you and the problems you have had buying parts here and getting them home. I wish there had been more time so I could have contacted you to see if you needed anything I could find. He is home now somewhere around Brisbane waiting for a load or two to arrive.

Jimmy B likes this.
  7. Ok, I have been buying parts and working on the chassis. I had to redo the engine mounts to get clearance for the steering, much happier. At the moment I am working on the front shock mounts I am in need of some advice whether to fabricate some tabs to weld to the wishbone or to buy some studs to mount thru the front axle.

Advice needed.

Cheers
    Jimmy
    SANY5063.jpg

8. Tabs would be easy. Studs would be easy. Studs would have the shock slightly further forward. Maybe you want/need that, maybe you don't.

How will it look with the radiator and lights etc. ? That may help you decide.

I'm sure you could make tabs with some scrap you have there and it would be job done. If it's where you want them:rolleyes:. Sorry, that's not much help.

It is a bit 6 of one half dozen of the other.

9. as per X38, either tabs or through stud will work, however, before you pick a place, mock up your radiator surround, and define a compromise on where you want/need your lights to live first, that will highlight the good/bad/ugly, and effectively help you decide on your approach to mounting the shocks (I'm a fan of tabs, locating the shock in double-shear, mounted as close to the axle as possible, to give the shock the best chance of being effective.).

Cheers,

Drewfus

Outback likes this.
  10. Thanks for the replies, that has helped.
    I will get the right side done then the left will be easier.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

engine mount
    [​IMG]

Gauges for the 2nd roadster
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Great to see you back at it! It makes me smile :)

Sent via carrier pidgeon & smoke signals with the HAMB App

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto

Outback likes this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Jimmy B, Is anything happening with your roadstert(s)?

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Thanks for the bump. Not much happening until I can pay for the chassis to be inspected

[​IMG]

Just going over old photos, chassis of coarse will be covered with a bellypan.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have finished the shocks (in progress pic)
    [​IMG]

Steering is now done (in progress pic)
    [​IMG]

And a '25 that will be a 3 springer roadster
    [​IMG]

I will make another roadster back I sold these 1/4s
    [​IMG]

15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is quite a bit of work since the last update. Is the rear suspension a triangulated 4 link with coil overs? The frame looks really good. I wish mine was that far along.:(

16. Thank you & yes rear suspension is triangulated 4 link with coil overs, I went that way because of the bellypan, make it a driver as I have plenty of other Chev parts to build a couple others.

17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I'm hoping to use a modified triangulated 4 link with 1/4 elliptics as the straight links. There was roadster on here with that set up and it kind of has a Chevy feel to it.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/malcolm-model-a-roadster-build.567286/

I'm staying with the parallel springs in front. I think yours should be very roadible the way you have it set up. How involved is the inspection? Is it expensive.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    Jimmy B and volvobrynk like this.
  18. The triangulated 4 bar with 1/4 elliptic spring seems like a neat setup and will look good on your roadster.

To have the chassis inspected is around $750, which is expensive but the car will comply with the rules. Chassis needs to have welding finished and in bare metal so the engineer can inspect the work. When the car is completed it will need a second inspection which cost the same amount, I will then be able to get registration.

19. So to update this thread with pics I decided to redo the body structure as the old one was built for the early chev driveline and I found myself cutting things off to change and I realised it would be just as easy to start again, so I did.

New way to bolt the body down instead of how I had it before with the crush tube with the bolt exposed on top of the floor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I welded around to make the cups (didn't get a photo) used a hole-saw on top and drilled the bottom, inserted the cups and welded top bottom.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

you can see the inner sill in this pic, they are made from 2mm sheet metal (I guess that makes it around 14g)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  20. Finished the rear frame horns
    [​IMG]

Getting the back board structure under way
    [​IMG]

Two pics thru the trunk area showing diagonal braces, you can see in the door jam the new inner sill which runs from the cowl to psst the passenger compartment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

just a couple pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like this angle, the roadster almost looks finished
    [​IMG]

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Looking good. All I've done is paint a bunch of engine parts. You guys have to go through a lot to put a car on the road there. It's way easier here, so far.

22. Glad to see you pressing on with this!

Outback likes this.
  23. slingshot

slingshot

And I thought inspections in MO. were invasive. My hat is off to you. BTW, I love the work that you are doing on your car. It will be terrific when you are finished.

Jimmy B likes this.
  24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work Jimmy!

25. I want to prove to myself I can finish it, saving the money for the inspection has been difficult. I've made a deadline to have it inspected by the time of my birthday.

Thank you. The inspection is a big hoop to jump thru but at the end of the day it is worthwhile requirement.

Cheers!

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Looking great Jimmy!

27. Ok, as with every deadline I set it goes out the window. The good news is today I had the chassis inspected and I have the go ahead to finish, woo-hoo! No more excuses or postponing.
    IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

Also last month I bought this front end for the next Chev roadster. It was on ebay for 6 months, I decided to bite the bullet.

IMG_0217.JPG

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    Outback, kidcampbell71, SR100 and 4 others like this.
  28. Congrats on passing the inspection, Jimmy!!!

29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That has to be A real load off of you. Now the fun part. WooHoo!

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto!