Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bobbed rear fenders and front motorcyle fenders on Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dino 64, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Planning out my 31 coupe project and was hoping someone would have some photos showing bobbed rear fenders and motorcycle fenders up front. I like that look and could use some example to help me make up my mind. I know it not the most popular build style now, but I like it. Thanks in advance :)

2. Look for threads posted by guys from Australia since the laws there require them to run fenders you will see a lot of cars using motorcycle type fenders. HRP

3. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Dino

Hope these help. Let me know if you would like some close ups.

Fronts are 35-36 spare tire cover cut in half. Rears are stock fenders bobbed in the front. Thank you! image.jpg image.jpg

Pete

4. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Same here Pete, trim ring fronts, bobbed the front of the rear fenders and widened them 2".
    28 image.jpg image.jpg

putz and AVater like this.

5. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Avater, 28Tudor, Thanks for posting. Both really nice cars. Can't see the back of the rear fenders. Are they bobbed or at stock length ? Cutting the tire covers down the middle or across ? Where does the "seam" going front to back come from ? Thanks in advance, much appreciated. Dino

6. The seam on the fronts come from cutting a '35-'36 Ford spare tire cover ring in half, across, and using one half for each fender. From the way back builds.

7. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

30tudor got it. The spare tire ring has a rib running all the way around it. I just cut the length I needed and made the stainless mounts. The rear fenders are bobbed about an inch on the front and full length in the back. But widened 2" to get the wide tire under the fender.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. These both look good. I wonder if this would have gotten you into gas class when gas class was still a street legal class and required fenders. ;)

@Dino64 when you bob if you take it off the front and rotate the fender you can retain your ducktail. Don't know if you like the look that way but that was popular way to do it when I was a kid.

Stogy, AVater and brad2v like this.
  9. My Modified has fenders because they're a legal requirement in the UK if you want to drive the car in the rain - there's a thread somewhere...

[​IMG]

10. Well it doesn't ever rain there does it. :D

Looks like a about a 4" ribbed fender like off an old Beezer or Trumpet (or a copy).

11. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks for all the replies. porknbeaner, thanks for the tip on mounting the rear fender.
    28 and 30 tudor, thanks for the info on the front fenders.
    I like the look and these all are great examples for it. Thanks, hope the thread continues.....

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hell, Benno...When I was a kid, you'd get your butt kicked if you didn't have a 'ducktail'. (D.A. was the term...)
    I always retained my 'ducktail', almost to the '60s. Then my mane grew out, to fit the hardtail panhead.
    And my Panhead had its Harley fender 'rotated' to keep its ducktail!
    Whew! 'Tails of the '50s'...

hendelec likes this.
  13. krazee

krazee

The first 2 model A's I built in the 70's had cycle style guards built from 44gal drums, using the rib and rounded on an english wheel. They looked like the real deal. Spare wheel covers were hard to find here and Triumph too expensive.
    A local guy here builds "glass" ones and is currently making a mold for widened ones to cover 820 rears. We can get exemptions for fenders here which is great in the summer but in the winter with farmers shifting cows across roads, when the roads are wet you get green stuff in you teeth that doesn't taste the best. I believe it does make your hair grow.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

or just look at magazines from the fifties/early sixties...
    29%20Roadster_.JPG 0603rc_05_z+1929_ford_roadster+.jpg 32HotRod.jpg 1963or1964atMattos.jpg 360052-Bernie%2520DesJardin_\'s%2520roadster.JPG Bud-parham-1925-ford.jpg Gary-heliker-1926-ford.jpg griepsma.jpg hair.jpg IMG_0100.JPG

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  15. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Funny, when I was a teenager on the East coast, we called the guys with DA's Dids short for didybop

deadbeat likes this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

17. brad2v

brad2v

Stogy and Denns1989 like this.
  18. flthd31

flthd31

Here are a few pics of my '31 coupe. Fenders were the law here in PA until just a few years ago. These have been on this coupe for many years. I could take them off with the change in the law but what the heck... guess I got used to them. They are a 35-36 spare tire cover cut in half just like most everybody used. I welded bushings on the backer plates with 3/8-16 SS button head bolts holding them on. The bracket is one piece torched out of 3/16 thick plate and contoured on the edges to make it look thinner. They have never come loose...ever! It's really not a bad look for a street cruiser.

31 coupe _022.JPG 31 coupe  _041.JPG 31 coupe  _027.JPG 31 coupe  _014.JPG

19. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

In the rear I kept the duckbill. I figured if I left it and didn't like it I could cut it later. Hard to cut them longer.

In the front, I just cut the trim ring in half to yield 2 half circles.

Here is a closer look.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and falcongeorge like this.
  20. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

28 Tudor-- I like the look of the '36 grill and chin guard there.

Nice job!

Pete

21. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks for all the great example guys. flthd31, that is the look I want. I saw a profile shot of your coupe on another thread about chopped tops. Thanks for the extra photos, looks great. How much of a chop is there on your coupe ?

22. flthd31

flthd31

Thanks. That's a 3 inch chop.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wow! Does that have the right look or what? I plan to run cycles up front and bobbed stockers on my '30 Roadster it will be perfect 1962 build and fenders were the rule here back in '62. Thanks for posting the photo flthd31, do you have any photos of the bracket without the fender? Bob [​IMG]

24. flthd31

flthd31

No,sorry, I do not. But I did find an old aluminum pattern hanging on the wall in the garage. The ends of the pattern are not complete but you get the idea. I think the finished pattern got "borrowed" and never returned. I also took a quick shot under the fender for you. The area of attachment was doubled-up (spot welded) with a small left over section from the fender to help keep things more solid. The gussets where the fender meets the bracket were added after some fitting to make sure they ended up in the right spot.

cycle fenders_006.JPG cycle fenders_003.JPG

brad2v likes this.
  25. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Thanks Pete!
    It's 5/8" stainless. Bending up the first side wasn't to bad the other side was a different story.

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This photo was in TRJ a while ago. Perfect.

IMG_20150821_0002.jpg

27. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Sir, I absolutely love your Model A !!!!... Except for the 32 grill, that is exactly how I want mine to look if I ever get around to building one.....

28. flthd31

flthd31

Thanks. This '32 was my inspiration...except for the spider webs...

[​IMG]

JB_roadrage likes this.
  29. Canuck

Canuck

4" bob on the rear. Couldn't save the duck tail part, looked like they had tangled with loose tire chains.

[​IMG]
    Running 28 fenders on a 30 coupe.

Canuck

30. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Flthd31, I kinda like your exhaust ! :) Bill

scullandcrossspaners likes this.