Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mercury TopChop blues.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kenneth31coupe, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Great work man!

2. Thanks a lot for all nice feedback

Have got a little more job done over this weekend. Driverside roof panel is tacked in and I have made the passenger side panel and nailed it with clecos. Now it´s easier to see the new roof line and I think I´m pretty pleased with it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I did Lars and my own 36´s I made contour mallets out of hard board to make sure the radius on the roof would be same at both sides but for this one I made a adjustable profile gauge instead wich makes the work a lot easier
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  3. Wow. Once again top notch fabrication. Thanks for sharing. Love the contour tool too.

4. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Thanks much for sharing Kenneth.Such a pleasure to watch.The tool is a great idea.Only thing I don't like about this all is this Mercury ain't mine.

5. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Looks good as always and the tool must be a real improvment when chopping tops!

6. Very nice work. That's a great idea on the profile gauge.

-Chris

Sent from my flip phone.

7. Thanks.

Thanks .That can be easily fixed;)

Thankyou.
    Thanks. I´ll not take credit for the profile tool. I copied it from a friend but it´s really handy

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

VERY NICE! I Recently just did a chop very similar to yours, so I know whats all involved!

9. Thanks a lot Matt. Do you have any pics of it?

This weekend the blues have really showed up in the shop since BB King passed away.Long live the King
    Have the rear window area puzzled together now with new c-pillars and new beltline.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  10. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

11. czuch az

czuch az

You guys just blow me absolutely away.

12. brady1929

brady1929

13. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Been following this since day one. Very nice work. Looking forward to the finished project. Keep it up and thanks for posting this.

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

That chop is perfect.
    Glad to see you saved the rain gutters.
    Doing so makes the rear quarter windows look perfect also.

15. Thanks guys,I´m glad you like it even though it´s not like the usuly seen chops with the rear window heavily laid down.When we planned this chop we where looking a lot at both Jeff Nepples and Jeremy Minameyers cars and I think we are somewhere in between them. Managed to move the cars around to get a straight profile photo.
    Thinking of maybe shortened the quarter window about an inch and give it a slightly bigger radius in the rear. Think it will get a softer and older look by doing that.

[​IMG]

16. Aussiepete.

Aussiepete.
    from Australia

17. telekenfun

telekenfun

18. Thanks for the kind words there KB.
    The rear window will stay in its position. What´s bothering me is the quarter window is too long and make the c-pillar look skinny. I´m thinking of shortening the quarter window and give it a bigger radius in the rear.In this pic I have shortened it 1 1/4" and the radius is an1/2" wider.
    As for the shape of the rear window and the roof flow I can say that the rear glass will be replaced. With some big help from Janne Kutja in Finland who´s been tracked down a steel mold with less curvatur we can have a new glass with the right shape made.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    jocktherock and Aussiepete. like this.
  19. Here´s a small update. Roofpanels and rear windowframe are welded.Driverside are grinded,hammered and smoothed. Cut out the bracings for the windowframe and installed the original glass in it just to get a look of how it flows with the roof. Looks like it will work I think. P1020655_1600x1200.JPG P1020646_1600x1200.JPG P1020661_1600x1200.JPG

20. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I like it a lot. Nice fabrication work.

21. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

22. Excellent fabrication work and a very nice side profile. Great job, that will be a fantastic car when you are done.

23. So there have been a bit of hold up in the build becouse I noticed the rear window location wasn´t looking allright to me. After looking at pictures and have Rik make some magic photoshops I realized the only way to make it ok again was to cut the window out and move it. Lowerd it slightly more than an inch and leaned it down about another 3/8 ” . Now I think it have that long heavy tail dragging look I was after.
    Don´t mind the bubble look of the glass, it will be replaced by a new flatter one.

P1020811_1200x1200.JPG P1020814_1200x1200.JPG P1020817_1200x1200.JPG

24. Nice ! I like all your windows and light in your shop ... rolling it outside ... nothin' better. Awesome Merc'.

lodaddyo likes this.
  25. Caprice89

Caprice89

Keep up the awsome work

26. Very nice.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. Thanks. It´s wonderfull to have all those windows all around on every wall in the shop. Working in the daylight is perfect. Rolling it outside is the only way to get a good look at it unless you have a garage where you can step back 30 feet or so.
    Thanks
    Thanks lowcoe.

28. A small update here. Took a brake from house repair and did some work on the Merc. Have the new roofpanels tacked in place and made new beltline pieces to make the rearwindow area whole again.Now I can move on and start on the side windows.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Absolutely beautiful.Again,great work.Thank you so much for sharing Kenneth !