Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Coil Over Shock Spacer Mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seadog, Aug 18, 2015.

1. I'd like to get the rear of my frame down about an inch. I'm looking at some shock spacer mounts like these on line.

[​IMG]

BUT can't find any pictures of how they mount. Will these do what I need them to do in terms of bringing the rear down? Or am I not understanding their use?

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is your rear suspension setup, that the shocks are holding up the car?

3. Coil over shocks with ladder bars on a Pete & Jakes chassis. The shocks are in the bottom hole of the mount and I'd like it to be about an inch lower, without having to go into lengthening the shock mounts. It seemed like these shock spacer mounts might be an easy solution. I haven't seen these in actual use and I'm unsure of two things:
    1. Am I misunderstanding the purpose of these parts, in other words; I'm I on the right track here - will they do what I need?
    2. How do they mount?

I may be looking at this the wrong way, they may not be suited for my needs at all. 'Just trying to get some clarity before I go forward. - Thanks

4. Tom,could you fabricate a piece of flat bar the width of the lower attachment point and over lap a inch or so longer,,you could use a couple of bolts in the top hole and the bottom. HRP

5. Those spacers you have pictured WILL NOT do what you are wanting. Those are designed to space the shock away from the mount. The wide part would go in the hole you on the shock mount you are using to support the coil-over. The narrower hole on the unit you have pictured would allow a bolt to go in the next hole on your mount. it acts as a stiffener/strengthener fo the coil-over mount. It will not add a lower hole!!!

X38 likes this.
  6. Dunno, Danny. I'm seeking ideas at this point. When I found the shock extension mounts on line they seemed like an easy answer, but I'm not sure they are intended for what I want to use them for. AND since I've never seen a pair in use I have no idea how they mount.

7. I believe Tim is correct on their use. HRP

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

They can be flip-flopped to either raise or lower car (slightly) but you must have the multi hole style bracket on the rearend housing.
    What is neat about these is they are a combination mount/spacer in one which helps to eliminate the sloppy attachment created from the bolt and spacer that you commonly see.
    I machined my own out of steel round stock with one threaded and one with a through hole, then tig welded together.
    Allows for custom fitting where the store bought design locks you in to their spacing and offset dimensions.
    Sorry I'm not able to include a photo at this time.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shorter coil-overs.

10. That would be a expensive solution. HRP

11. Budget36

Budget36

Can the top of the shock be extended?

12. Man, make up a 4 hole plate and bolt it to the 3 hole mount. If you curved the 4th hole over you'd miss all the bolts.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This ain't a cheap hobby.

14. Tom,just a thought but could you exchange the coil overs,I know you recently bought the rolling frame. HRP

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Worth asking. I would do it for you, if I sold them to you.

16. Canuck

Canuck

Just a idea---

Not a coil over bracket but similar design. This is a rear shock mount with a series of mounting holes 1" apart and held on with two 1/2" bolts. I wanted to move the shock out for more clearance. Tacked a 1/4" thick re-enforcement inside the shock mount and made the spacer out of 1" thick steel. Drilled and taped the holes. You can see the piece with the shock mount bolt and two holes in it. This also allowed me to chose which hole I wanted to mount the shock into..
    [​IMG]

This spacer could easily be extended down to lower your coil over.

Canuck