Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'll say it again D.N.D......you Socal guys really were in the thick of it.
    If I had a time machine, I'd be camping in your back yard.

2. Saw EJ run that bike and his latter one . Yes it was a great show .

3. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Denny

Yep in the 60's out here in so-cal we had it all - drags - sprint cars & flat track bikes at Ascot - dry lakes and boat racing at the Long Beach Marine stadium - short track stockers plus great street racing and a bit of skirt chasing too

Just took it for granted and did not know how good we had it, plus some of us would build & run our own car that was icing on the cake

4. noboD

noboD

EJ was the ORIGINAL Michigan Madman.

hendelec likes this.
  5. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Capitol Chevrolet in Nashville Tn. ,home of the Cumberland Valley Corvette Club . There was also a Capitol Chevrolet in Montgomery Al but you already knew that.

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Saw EJ here at Connecticut Dragway about 1975'...Would run a G60 street tire, could get four runs..At that time it was a stack mechanical fuel injected 327, don't remember if he ran alcohol or gas...He would stage at the line in the un-used last two feet of asphalt to the grass. He would pull a piece of pipe out of a storage area and stick it in the stand for leverage to prop it on the stand; then throw the pipe to the side of the track...My help that day was to retrieve the pipe for him and to tell him how to get out of the track when he was leaving... I believe he made at least three passes, maybe four, strait as an arrow...Around 10.5 @ 150...

hendelec likes this.
  7. Deepwater

Deepwater
    from Tennessee

8. dmorago

dmorago

And don't forget Bob's Big Boy drive-ins.

9. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Oh yaa Denny hanging at Bobs in Van Nuys every nite in 59 - 60 in my 57' Bel Air 301 streeter till I started to build my gasser, as that sure cut back on the Bobs time but still a couple of nites a week

Those were such great days we had and just ' Priceless ' memories

10. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

We used to get a few guys together on a Friday nite fill up the Bel Air with White Pump gas, hook up the 2 four barrels on direct linkage and hit the 4 Bobs first up San Fernando - Van Nuys - Talouca lake and then Glendale then over the hill to Sunset and to Hollywood blvd

One pass down the Blvd and my left leg was junk since I had a Jim Ridge ' Valley street Clutch ' in it with very stiff springs and that clutch petal was hard to push, then on the way home hit Van Nuys for a Burger - 1/2 Chefs salad with extra blue cheese for the fries and wash it down with a Vanilla Coke

Then blast through San Fernando and on to home in G. H. for a great time, boy we were styling big time not knowing how good we had it !!!!!

11. walpolla

walpolla

Good story here about the legendary E.J.Potter:

http://thekneeslider.com/e-j-potter-the-michigan-madman-r-i-p/

12. dmorago

dmorago

Interestingly, we did a similar Big Boy circuit but started at Bob's Pasadena, then Glendale, over to Talouca Lake, then back. We did this cruise, in a black 57 Chevy Bel Air with factory Fuelie and 4-speed. We used the Pasadena location to set-up our races for the evening. Ah, the 1/2 Chef with extra blue cheese and fries for dipping. Remember the spaghetti and chili plate?

13. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Yep sure do , good Chili makes everything better as it is one of the best comfort foods

14. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Bob's Big Boy .... no relish, add tomato and onion, fries well done and a Cherry Coke ... Pasadena Bob's was like a second home.

15. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

We have discussed this here and on other Chevy boards, there were no "factory 4-speed" full size '57 Chevy's or '58's for that matter. There were dealer and other aftermarket installations.

16. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Here`s a couple of pictures I took of E.J. in about 1970. He was really a showman.
    He told me that he changed the throttle cable after every run. He had one stick once and wouldn`t take a chance of that happening again.
    E J Potter 1 1.jpg
    E J Potter 1 1.jpg
    E J Potter 33.jpg
    E J Potter 44.jpg
    E J Potter 55.jpg
    E J Potter 66.jpg
    E J Potter 77.jpg

Attached Files:

Dean Lowe and hendelec like this.
  17. swi66

swi66

18. swi66

swi66

19. swi66

swi66

20. Deepwater

Deepwater
    from Tennessee

21. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here it is! View attachment 2980731
    Don't forget the 50's too----Culver City Dog track, remember all those T's--A's--B's--& later models,--36's, 37's & 38's, every Sunday on the B/W tv's, they put on a great show, all for a case of "Sta-Lube' for the winner!

22. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No hiding in the trunk here!!!!!

23. jroberts

jroberts

24. jroberts

jroberts

"Northeastern Speedway, located way up in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont - near St. Johnsbury - in Lower Waterford."

[​IMG]

hendelec likes this.
  25. jroberts

jroberts

26. Cloverdale, British Columbia, 1966
    [​IMG]

hendelec likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.