Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Did the Right Car Win?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Did the Right Car Win?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. I think judging these cars is kind of dumb in the first place and I have no idea what criteria they are judged on but the fact that the Hirohata is the only one of the three painted in a period correct lacquer paint gives it an edge if you are going for an accurate representation of what the car was like when it was first done. It's not my favourite car of the bunch but in a competition like this I would think things like the right paint finish are probably a bid deal. No?

3. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Without knowing the judging criteria ............................... ?

They look the same except for the color.

4. Da Flash

Da Flash

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Which of your children is your favorite?
    Who makes the better burger?
    If you were given the opportunity to own one of the three, which would it be?
    The hard decisions of life, and I know it has become worn out, but to be nominated is to win.

6. As a 12 year old kid looking through a stack of magazines my uncle gave me I first laid eyes on the car between those musty pages and was enamored with the Hirohata Mercury from day one,it made a lasting impression on me that hasn't wavered through my adult years.

It may be because it was the first Custom that caught my eye so many years ago but the style is unforgettable.

I do appreciate the work of Sam Barris and his Mercury is a beautiful car as is the Welch Mercury,but when I close my eyes and envision a iconic,historical Mercury's I envision the Hirohata Mercury.

Personally,I believe the right car won,but in the setting these cars were shown you can only have one winner.

In a strange sorta way,Sam Barris could be considered a winner,he and his brother George did originally build the Hirohata Mercury. HRP

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  7. bondolero

bondolero

At first glance maybe but the Hirohata Merc has more extensive work especially in the top with the true hardtop windows and quarters.

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Trying to "judge the best" in any category, be it custom cars, hot rods, guitar players, or centerfire cartridges is hopeless.

scrap metal 48 and CadMad like this.
  9. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

One isn't better than the other two because of some car show. Go to another car show and the results would probably be different. Enjoy the car and you're always the winner!

bct and Hnstray like this.
  10. Who were the judges in the Post War Mercury class? HRP

11. A poster on Rik's Custom Car Chronicle site said the cars were judged on period correctness in the restoration and impact they had on the custom scene. In that case I think the right car won. Sam's car was one of at least three being chopped at about the same time with debatable information about which was done first and was sold and shipped to Iowa right after it's first show so it probably didn't have as great an impact on the scene as it is given credit for in retrospect. Combine that with the period incorrect paint and it is hard to argue that the Hirohata should not have won.

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. They got it right. The others are beautiful, but The Hirohata Merc is a cut above.

13. mike bowling

mike bowling

I've got to agree- that car's caused more cases of jaw dropping, and inspired more builds than I can imagine. I'm not even a "custom" guy, but I've known about that car and loved it for many moons.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

to me the Hirohata Merc is a bit overdone. Sam Barris Merc is just about right. my favorite version of the Hirohata Merc is when it was faded and worn out before he finally restored it.

I'd like to see the other Mercs and pick my own winner

alchemy and K13 like this.
  15. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Great, thoughtful replies everyone-- Great to hear the HAMB perspective!

302GMC and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. Special Ed

Special Ed

The real winners of the Pebble Beach Concours, are us. Inviting and including these customs in one of the most prestigious events in the world, brings positive attention and additional acceptance of our "hobby". We ALL won at Pebble Beach .... :cool:

34andy, Model T1, 50Fraud and 10 others like this.
  17. on looks alone, the right car won.
    but as a hot rod guy, what's under the hoods?

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Here is what was in the class.
    http://www.customcarchronicle.com/custom-cars/mercs-that-will-appear-at-pebble-beach/

and some pictures of them at the show
    http://www.customcarchronicle.com/forums/topic/mercurys-at-2015-pebble-beach-concours/

19. Bob Hirohata replaced the Flathead with a Cadillac,not sure if the car still has that engine or not.

The Wally Welch Mercury has a Flathead,don't know about the Barris car.HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. The Hirohata has a caddy in it and Sam's car has a flathead.

21. cory27t

cory27t
    from US

Amen to that. I think that it's great to see our "hobby" being accepted by the Concours afficionados and from what I understand, a lot of thanks needs to go to Bruce Meyer for talking to the right people at Pebble Beach to allow that to happen. Some of the early hot rods and customs are just as beautifully built and significantly important as a lot of the Concours automobiles. It's gratifying to see them get the respect and attention that they deserve.

22. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Hirohata's Merc has always been my favorite of any Merc's of that era.

23. Beyond the accurate lacquer paint, it should be noted that the Hirohata was restored with all it's "flaws" intact...from the scoops cut different on each side to the old business cards stuck up in the dash to quiet a rattle. As nice as Sam's car is today, Sam sold it with still a stock interior in it. So, not throwing rocks at all on my part, but if some of the criteria was accuracy in the restoration, the interior, while nice and time line appropriate, is not accurate for what the car actually had at the time.

brad2v likes this.
  24. george775

george775
    from Nor Nev

Here is a look at the entire class put together by Ken Gross:
    Bob Hirohata coupe of Jim & Sue McNiel-
    IMG_4096.jpg
    The James Dean movie car from The National Automobile Museum, Reno, NV-
    IMG_4114.jpg
    The Sam Barris custom of John Mumford
    IMG_4115.jpg
    The Wally Welch '50 of Justin Mozart-
    IMG_4098.jpg
    The Leo Lyons '50 of Geoff Hacker and Rick D'Louhy-
    IMG_4113.jpg
    The Fred Rowe '51 of Sam Pack-
    IMG_4080.jpg
    The Ralph Testa '50 of Bill Worden-
    IMG_4085.jpg
    Mild to wild, The Lyons '50 along side the Dean '49
    DSC_0075.jpg

25. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

As has been stated before, just being in the field is being a winner! Joe

26. Impact is the key word. Not taking anything away from the other entrants, but the Hirohata Merc had more impact than all the others combined. It's THE custom Merc in most peoples minds...

27. I'd be curious to hear Rik (@Rikster) Hoving's take on this ... ????

... as well as any of the HAMBers that were actually affiliated with one of the seven Mercs shown at Pebble ... including (but not limited to):
    • Geoff (@G. Hacker) Hacker ... co-owner/restorer of the Leo Lyons '50 Merc
    • Bill (@slixauto) Ganahl ... performed a lot of the restoration work on the Sam Barris '49 Merc
    • Darryl (@hollenbeck32) Hollenbeck ... painted the Sam Barris '49 Merc

28. catdad49

catdad49

Love the Green, Love the Purple, Love the Hirohata, Love to be there to look at 'em all!! I think that it's just great that they all exist! Does there have to be a "winner"?

117harv likes this.
  29. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Good question....

Thanks for posting Pebble Beach and for taking the heat and controversy I usually get whenever I cover it!

Got any coverage of the rest of the event?

Special Ed likes this.
  30. Nobey

Nobey

To me the Hirohata Merc is in a class of it's own, with those beautiful hard top
    side windows, the hand formed parking lights, and the flared front fenders. It
    just seems to go together so well.

scrap metal 48 likes this.