Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures New show...Cuban Chrome...not bad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Rckt98

Rckt98

I see this show is going to be on TV in NZ from late next month, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

2. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

I've watched all 4 episodes out so far and I'm really loving it. Yes it's dumbed down a bit for the masses, and definitely not produced by car guys (or anyone remotely familiar with cars), but it's still a great show that I think will get some new people and kids interested in our hobby. Anything to promote the love of old cars is fine by me. Plus the ingenuity and craftsmanship of these guys is just amazing. I really feel for the guy and his two kids trying to restore their car, you can tell how important it is to them. Really made me realize what I take for granted when working on my cars. Overall a really great show in a time where most of TV is a black hole of reality show crap. Just my opinion.

Binger and flux capacitor like this.
  3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I watched another episode of Cuban chrome last night. While I'm impressed with the resourcefulness of those guys, why the hell do the producers have to beat to death the typical format of car related "reality" shows (and I use that term very loosely) - "oh my god, I need that part , where will I get it?" - "holy crap, I have a tight deadline ... How will I ever make it?" - "this guy is a jerk, I can't stand him! " drama , drama , drama ... More of the same , only in Cuba with subtitles. I think I'm out. I like the premise of the show , but don't need the drama. I'll go watch Yank Tanks again.

Turnipseed likes this.
  4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I agree...it's starting to get on my nerves with the stupid drama...I think I'll go shave Donna's cat

kidcampbell71 and 1956 F100 like this.
  5. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Yeah, they were hunting a transmission bar, ha ha ha ! Then I seen it was a drive shaft. I thought they were gonna go get some metal for the crossmember. It's soo corny it's entertaining. Aside from the added fake drama I still like watching their resourcefulness. Like 99% of cable car related shows , it's got the typical "drama". You know they've got to be pals in reality that would have no problem acting out conflicts. The shock factor is when they stuff a European BMW type engine/tranny combo in a 50 olds sedan. It's such a bizarre sight it gets your attention. Boat motors in cars, Toyota diesels in big ol 59 Plymouth fury's. :eek: ........ It's sick! That to me is a shock factor. I did enjoy the "wax" trick the Austin Healy dude used on his aluminum to tell when it was just right for shaping. I've been taught the "rose bud" heat / wet towel trick myself to shrink metal. The whole show reminds me of what it'd be like to be stranded on an island with old cars & how to keep them rolling! Well it is & producers have to add silly stuff to cater to the ratings crowd. :) That is after all the reality of it! Flux

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Chrisbcritter likes this.
  6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Absolutely, problem is I can't find any of these shows that don't contain all of that silly drama throughout the show. It would be nice if someone would make some decent shows for those of us that hate these "reality" shows. Problem is these crappy shows cost them less to produce than quality shows do, so we are stuck with them until enough people get so tired of them to quit watching them.

flux capacitor and Turnipseed like this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah...like Ferguson...

1956 F100 likes this.
  8. slowmotion

slowmotion

I was interested at first, briefly. Drama with an accent, I'm out. I do highly respect the resourcefulness of these guys though.
    Only non-drama shows I've found are Wayne C. & David G's shows, both very well done IMO.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It's different to watch, but the "centerpiece" of the show is a clapped out "Oldsmobile"; if it can even be called an Oldsmobile anymore since only the main body panels of it remain; everything else has been replaced with whatever could be scrounged and adapted. There are so many more better looking cars on the show that are never even delved into, especially the cars in the opening segments of the show. And honestly, I don't think I'd let the "best mechanic in Cuba" even near my cars. It's entertaining is a really oddball sort of way, but if I miss an episode, I'll survive. Boy those guys sure do hug one another a lot! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

flux capacitor and Ford52PU like this.
  10. prpmmp

prpmmp

:) Shaved pussy:)! Pete

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you...are a mental case

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hey!! Did you find my Hula Hoop!! Pete

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The cup and needle bearings from the U-Joint of a Soviet built KAMAZ 4308 truck are a direct replacement for the lower shaft bearing in a 56 Olds Holiday steering box.

flux capacitor likes this.
  14. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I didn't give it much of a chance. I watched the first two shows. Found it boring. I must say I was tempted to clean out my garage and put a couple engines and parts on a pallet and send it to them.

15. Rckt98

Rckt98

Damn I wish I had known this when my 56 Olds steering box needed a rebuild.

16. finn

finn

Much of the world if far ahead of the good old US of A in cell phone network infrastructure. The US propped up the old hardwire legacy systems from the last century, while the "underdeveloped" countrys transitioned directly from smoke signals to wireless.

That's why they all have cell phones. I bet their monthly call package is cheaper than yours, too.

17. Timbofor

Timbofor

This show seriously makes my brain hurt. But I watch it anyway. The inaccuracies and lack of continuity are horrible at best. But on entertainment value it's a pretty good show. Just have to overlook a few (ok several) things.

18. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I've seen parts of it, here and there. It's ok to pass a few minutes, but I'm not waiting for the next episode. Just the same formula with subtitles.

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

(EVERYTHING!) I just watch it for the commercials:rolleyes:..

20. A Boner

A Boner

The Olds is getting it's body work done with a spatula......just like here in the good old days!

21. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I'm gonna go to work & look at my argon bottles in a whole new light & be thankful I've got spares.......:) . Running low on argon , Welding/torching a floor pan with the carpet smouldering in a Mercedes with an oil based paint job. Starting a 283 in the shop floor without priming it, dropping off the olds for paint only to see the preview for next week with the dude having to take it out before its dry.... Script writers "drama". But hey it's about seeing the cars. Flux

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  22. 327Eric

327Eric

Reminds me of some of the crap I go through being broke and an hour from any store. What I am most curious about, in the episode with the car show, one of the guys had what appeared to be a 63 or 64 Buick Electra? Where did that one cone from? It was gold, shown briefly driving in.

23. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I also seen a few past embargo date cars & figured brought over years later from other European countries. Flux

24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It gets more entertaining all the time! The directors/producers must be a bunch of gold chainer types that really have no idea about anything automotive. Drs. driving cabs to make more money than they get as a physician; $20.00 a day driving a cab as opposed to $40.00 a month as a Dr.Erything is painted in a pastel color, including some of the cars/trucks. A venture capitalist that retires to Cuba; what's that all about? I guess very little money goes an awful long way there for someone to do that. I wonder what that guys "story" really is? Why does't the guy with the Oldsmobile just start his own car club? Oh well, it's just a TV show. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

25. Larry,your spending too much time with that cat,is the cats name fluffy larry a does the cat look like you?

I've always heard pets and their owners start to look alike the longer they spend time together.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I'll never be as good looking as the dog..

27. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "director" don't think we'll notice.......

28. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

You noticed that too Think it's aimed at folks who have absolutely no idea how a car works.

29. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

Well now that the US has lifted the embargo maybe the Cubans can buy some gold chains and get some tats. Then they will have a good show! JC

30. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Butch..it is true that a cabbie...especially one for tourists can make more money than a doctor...the doctors are paid by the govt...and the cabbie is paid by people. I agree with the venture capitalist thing though...I thought that was an awfully nice garage door...not to mention the aluminum ladder hanging in the garage. Weird...he must have pledged to be a communist. Still like the show though...people shouldn't view it as a documentary on car repairs...it's a sociological view of a poor country and its citizens who are trying to keep their beloved American cars alive...