Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs brake line advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by worn shoes, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

AN fittings should seal, I am guessing that the flares are not done correctly, but it is unforgivable to use JB weld to try and stop fluid leaks, as for tape that only works on pipe fittings, brake fittings seal on the flare not on the threads

worn shoes likes this.
  2. worn shoes

worn shoes

Thanks guys. I decided that I'll remove everything from the soft rear hose back and start fresh. Sucks to pay again but no need to harm myself or others on the road for being cheap :)

volvobrynk, daddio211 and 2racer like this.
  3. worken2much

worken2much

I've made brake lines for our circle track cars. It takes a bit to get the hang of making the double flares but it isn't impossible. I used 3/16" to minimize line flex for improved pedal feeel. I can't really tell any difference though. The 3/16" is much harded to work with flare wise than 1/4". I'd go 1/4" if I had to do it again. Most auto parts stores stock multiple lengths ready to bend / install. Some creative bending / planning will minimize the number of scratch built lines you will need.

Good luck,
    Worken2much

volvobrynk and worn shoes like this.
  4. worn shoes

worn shoes

I've done brake lines a couple of times before and have had good luck. I just wanted to know if it was worth trying to save the work I already paid for. The reason I paid for the work to be done is because for the last 17 almost 18 years I've been in a wheelchair. Its hard getting up and down onto the floor. I guess wanting the easy way out didn't pan out for me :) thanks again guys!

volvobrynk and daddio211 like this.
  5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

nice guy, does crap work and yells at you for noticing. brake lines are pretty simple.

daddio211 and worn shoes like this.
  6. There is bound to be a fellow Hamber in your area that will step up and help you correct the problem if you are not physically able to do the task at hand,If I were in your area I would be glad to help you out. HRP

7. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

I think we have come to the conclusion , this is a piece of shit . My question , is how did the word "reputable " get into the conversation ????

daddio211 likes this.
  8. prpmmp

prpmmp

[​IMG] Just used it for the first time on my sons jeep! Excellent stuff!! Showed him how to used the inverted flare tool and he did the rest(not one leak)! Got it at NAPA (50.00) Pete

9. Limey Steve is a 10 year member here and does have a very good reputation. I would sure like to hear his side of this story, as this seems totally out of character for the guy and shop I have dealt with for about 12-13 years now.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It is not that difficult or expensive to do the job right. OEM quality steel brake lines, ready made with the flares on them, can be bought at any auto parts store. If you want to make your own, a 25 foot roll of tubing costs under $25 and is enough to do the whole car. Wheel cylinders, typically $25 each or less.

There is no excuse to take chances on brakes. You don't need any fancy copper lines, aircraft fittings, stainless steel flex hoses or any of that shit. Standard OEM stuff like manufacturer used when they built your car, is perfectly safe and will last for 10, 20 years or more. In fact the hard lines will last indefinitely, only the flex hoses eventually crack and need replacement.

I understand that you can't do the work yourself but any competent mechanic can do the work in a few hours. You do not need a hot rod shop or custom made anything.

volvobrynk, warbird1 and worn shoes like this.
  11. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

I think you hit the nail on the head. The fittings may have been ordered locally to the shop that did the work and a rookie parts person may have looked up and sold the wrong fittings to the shop.
    Two sides to every story and then there is what happened.
    Shoes I am glad you found it before it got to be a real problem

milwscruffy likes this.
  12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I get the impression the OP spent a lot of money at a so called hot rod shop and got crappy work. Now he needs to get it fixed properly at the lowest cost, and cannot do his own work because of a disability.

Not knowing what kind of car, even if it is a custom job with a mix of different master cylinder, brake calipers etc. any good mechanic can fit the lines and bleed the system. You don't need a special hot rod shop. If there is a local shop that is known for doing good work reasonable, the kind that does not advertize because they don't have to, you can often find them by word of mouth in other words, ask around your friends who are knowing about cars. If the shop races stock cars or dune buggies on the weekends, he's your guy.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Ole don

Ole don

Is that aluminum line??? It looks like it could be. Laws in every state call for steel line. Rent or borrow a double flare kit. Make several practice flares. Cut with a correct cutter. Use a flat file to debur the outside, and a chain saw file to debur the inside of the cut. Read the instructions on how to start the double flare. Use WD 40 or similar lube to make the process easier. After a couple practice flares, your only problem will be to always put the nut on first.

14. worn shoes

worn shoes

Thanks man! Still good people out there. I'll handle it just takes me longer :)

15. worn shoes

worn shoes

stainless just on the rear which are the two pics

16. And SAME here..........

17. worn shoes

worn shoes

Hate to say it but that's how it went down. I was nice and waited over a year. He just dropped the ball I guess. It surprised me when he snapped at me. I was asking a couple of simple questions in a calm manner and he just seemed over it. Started to yell at me over the phone. I then lost my cool and yelled back. He came racing up my street and into my driveway. My wife and daughters were scared. He then asked me a question and when I answered him he told me to shut up. It was crazy and uncomfortable. He came back the next day and we both put on a good front and then he left after he claimed the job was done. I told myself that I would never call him back and i'm sticking to it.

18. worn shoes

worn shoes

I had heard great things about this shop. I thought that I had made a good choice.

daddio211 likes this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It would be interesting to look at the part and see whats wrong.

20. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Because you're in socal same as me I doubt if you"ll have a rust problem. I'm guessing the wrong/improper flaring tool was used (inverted flare vrs an flare). AN fitting have been around a long time, used on older aircraft, and as mentioned above in/on race cars (drag racing, not sure of other). On a car you travel around in I THINK you should stick with the inverted flare,try finding a AN fitting at a local auto parts. Any time you go from the norm, you risk setting along side of the road. I just put Wilwood on a 59 Impala, they use AN, and I understand the risk.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. worn shoes

worn shoes

Did the part fail or the person? He had like 4 chances to handle this. When you JB weld a fitting as he told me he has done on what he said was a bad fitting sounds like a human error. When you bring out some Loctite PFTE paste for a whole new set up sounds like human error. I didn't start this to beat the dude down. I didn't even want to mention his name or the shop's name. I need to drama in my life. I just wanted what I paid for, nothing more.

hipster, volvobrynk and daddio211 like this.
  22. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've known of Steve for many, many years and have known him for a considerable time now. Not trying to take anything away from the OP's position or personal situation but there's something very not right here. Limeworks produces any number of great products, have built any number of superb cars and I'm sure have had a hand in many, many more which leads me to believe this is a most unusual situation. I'm sorry for everyone concerned and hope normal service can be resumed in short order.

Chris

23. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

IT WAS DONE WRONG. Flares DON'T leak doesn't matter if they are AN, MS, or INVERTED (double flare)

volvobrynk, daddio211 and worn shoes like this.
  24. worn shoes

worn shoes

[QUOTis why="Happydaze, post: 11120895, member: 90170"]I've known of Steve for many, many years and have known him for a considerable time now. Not trying to take anything away from the OP's position or personal situation but there's something very not right here. Limeworks produces any number of great products, have built any number of superb cars and I'm sure have had a hand in many, many more which leads me to believe this is a most unusual situation. I'm sorry for everyone concerned and hope normal service can be resumed in short order.

Chris[/QUOTE]
    This is why I didn't want to mention names. Makes a guy just wanting to ask a simple question into a jerk. He Steve did the work on the rear. I share a couple of friends with him and they too are shocked. I'm not trying to attack the popular kid here. I just needed advice.

25. roundvalley

roundvalley

Wow. Is he a close neighbor?

worn shoes likes this.
  26. worn shoes

worn shoes

27. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

It always amazes me the pipe tape I see on brake lines ect, it's like people don't understand the flares are what seals?!

That being said I hate AN lines everyone seems to have great luck but me... I like the good old inverted flares , but I have done very well with brake lines with both inverted and AN ..... Unless silicone brake fluid is used seems like I always fight leaks with DOT 5 fluid

Best luck I have for inverted flare is to not bottom the flare tool on the 2nd flare , and let the "full forming " happen on install and for AN ... Use the copper washers between the unions( for sure on stainless line) ...and steel nuts if you can instead of aluminum

28. I saw the Yelp pictures. You also have an unsupported tee, which I don't go along with. I would find the right block and bracket that goes to the rear even if you have to have the bracket welded on. I agree that probably the wrong degree flare was used and I would do it over using regular SAE parts. NAPA has everything you need and their green-ish tubing flares nicely.

volvobrynk and worn shoes like this.
  29. worn shoes

worn shoes

[QUOT="bobss396, post: 11121638, member: 62491"]I saw the Yelp pictures. You also have an unsupported tee, which I don't go along with. I would find the right block and bracket that goes to the rear even if you have to have the bracket welded on. I agree that probably the wrong degree flare was used and I would do it over using regular SAE parts. NAPA has everything you need and their green-ish tubing flares nicely.[/QUOTE]
    This why I needed to ask! Thanks for the heads up. Already made a list and going after I drop off the little one at school. Thanks again guys :)

30. Limeworks

Limeworks

Well this is an interesting read,excuse this as I'm on vacation, just with my phone. When we got hooked up re the brake problem I went to his house, nipped up the inverted flare fittings & said I'll be back when I return from a trip.I went back,still weeping fittings.
    1,I had room, removed the steel lines made new ss ones as I have for over 25 years,installed Steel adapters in the wheel cylinders & the original brass t..Bled the brakes,pressure tested with my son on the pedal,no leak visible.He picks up his car,next day they are leaking!!!
    2 I go to his house sure enough damp.I suspect the fittings so try jb weld to see if that is the cause,back to his house, re fit ,bleed no leaks test several sustained pedal pressures, no leak,if it does it again let me know.
    3 I go over suspect it's the brass T & steel adapter, stretched the thread on the brass,this is the T from the bad inverted flare job.I prefer a new T . it arives & we can't get our schedule worked out.this is when he started say some stuff that made me loose my cool.( in 21 years in business, this is the first time I've ever lost it )I said OK I'll come right over.
    4 I get there,the fitting for the flex hose is too big !!!,the ptfe paste was for on the threads under the brass washer on the flex hose to eliminate a problem there.
    5 I apologized for loosing my cool went to my shop built a simple test rig to try the new brass T ,it leaked at the adapters so I 86 that method.
    6 I decide to go all AN .I make a custom ss bracket to bolt a bulkhead T onto the axle.I return the next day all cheery in the morning fit the new T bleed the brakes do 4 long holds on the pedal,no leaks.
    7,I say all looks good,if it leaks again I'll be back to re do across the body with 2 flex hoses1 to each wheel..
    again I apologize for the way it went and was not off to work.
    My whole philosophy is I'm not happy till you are happy,I was pushed & lost it, that is has on my part but I did apologize & was willing to come find out what went on.In all my years I've never known a fitting leak only when it sits & not when under pressure. Please don't read anything into that I genuinely puzzles.I've done plenty of brake lines but never had problems like this,it maybe as simple as tightening the nuts or the new _3 flex hose I fitted,there are no adapters & I even checked the new ss flares with a magnifying glass to check for splits
    I'm sorry it got to this I always deal man to man ,my word is my bond & I sincerely mean that.
    Thanks for reading my my side of the story.
    Steve

PS I couldn't get on on LimeySteve so I had to re register, but it is me :).

hipster and lothiandon1940 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.