Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs brake line advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by worn shoes, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worn shoes

worn shoes

I had thia work done by a local and "reputable" shop. The rear brake line fittings have been leaking since the work had been finished. He used JB weld to join the brass T fitting to the two adaptors. It still leaked. He then used AN fittings with PTFE. Its still leaking. My question is, should I try and repair the leak with the current parts that he used as pictured? Or should I scrap all that and use new lines and fittings? I already spent a decent amount of money and want to see if it can be fixed easily. Thanks! 20150730_075945.jpg 20150813_192650.jpg

2. Throw that fancy crap away and start over,,use readily available brake lines from NAPA or any number of auto parts houses.

You need double flared brake lines.HRP

3. worn shoes

worn shoes

Ok, I figured as well. Thanks!

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Post the name of the shop, so we can warn others that they are trying to kill their customers.

5. worn shoes

worn shoes

Not trying to stir the already shit pot. The man is a real nice piece of work. He yelled at me for asking questions in regard to his work ethic. I did a Yelp review.

Model T1 and daddio211 like this.
  6. OK now man up and do a HAMB review. LOL :D

7. You won't be stirring anything- If you had Q's and the dickwad got upset,what should that tell you? I'de rather have some ass-hat mess up my muffler bearings than my brakes!
    Post the name= your not going back,and fixing his "stellar" work.....
    You could possibly save a life or two here.......Think about that.........

8. Exactly. What the kid said. some of us will not farm out what we need done, but a lot of us will use a shop and hope for the best. Some of those of us who sue a shop wouldn't know if it was the best or not until failure.

volvobrynk and gimpyshotrods like this.
  9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

follow HRP's advice--get rid of that junk-guy who did it obviously made a mess. JB weld on brake fittings???

volvobrynk and Beau like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

JB weld AND PTFE?

Shoulda had him braze it all together;)

leadfootedracer likes this.
  11. Cirilian

Cirilian

It's not necessarily about slamming the dude. It's more about saving someone from giving this shop their hard-earned money for garbage work.

volvobrynk and worn shoes like this.
  12. I have had people fired for fucking up a brake job on my commuter!!! It is not a "Oh Well" situation. That is Life Threatening!!!!

Model T1, volvobrynk, brad2v and 6 others like this.
  13. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I agree with others, start over. However one thing your might try is to burnish the fitting in by loosening the fittings and then tighten several times there by burnishing the fitting joint.

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Go over the WHOLE brake system and redo everything properly. Check EVERY BIT of this ass clown's work. Do not take anything for granted. Your life, your family's life, and possibly even my life may be at stake.

Brake lines are cheap and can be bought anywhere. I would throw the whole shitty mess in the garbage and do it over. Don't waste your time trying to patch up shit work and leaky fittings.

15. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

My guess is he did the flares wrong. If he over did them the flare ends up very thin or could've cracked. That would be my guess. Shouldn't need anything but regular tube nuts and a union. Might have to just cut the ends he did and re flare the tube. Don't even need new line

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They only THINK they are reputable.

If a shop did this in Canada they would LOSE THEIR LICENSE and the so called mechanic would LOSE HIS MECHANIC'S LICENSE .

This is why garages and mechanics are licensed. This is no joke, to be a licensed mechanic you have to serve a 4 year apprenticeship and write a series of exams. A mechanic's license is a difficult thing to get, and if you lose it you lose your livelihood.

The shop is responsible for the work the mechanics put out, and their license can be pulled just like a restaurant can be shut down by the health department for selling rotten food.

Plus they could be liable for a huge lawsuit if you get in an accident from their shoddy work.

As soon as you said JB weld and teflon tape, my reaction was "do not drive the car. Get it towed to a garage and done properly. What else did they do that you DON'T see."

17. mike bowling

mike bowling

That's an abortion! Rip it all out and do it the old fashioned way- that stuff's probably all stripped and useless. Get the new brake line material that bends easily, brass fittings, and double flare it all. Mr. HRP is right on the money; some things don't need to be "improved". Remember the KISS rule- keep it simple, dummy ( I don't know you, so I won't say "stupid!) I'd also talk to the shop owner about a cheerful refund; major hose job!

18. worn shoes

worn shoes

Alright, Limeworks speedshop. That's not why I started this post. I just needed advice boys. Thanks

volvobrynk and daddio211 like this.
  19. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

wtf? Didnt see that coming.

daddio211 and worn shoes like this.
  20. Blue Coupe

Blue Coupe

I have been going through the brake system on one of my current projects, and after a week of bitching, sweating and getting attacked by a few wasps, I can assure you everyone is spot on in suggesting you redo your " reputable" shops work ! Around these parts of the woods folks don't take kindly to shoddy work especially on important stuff like BRAKES!

21. worn shoes

worn shoes

Wow man ! You need to relax. The owner , Steve is the guy behind that work. So I hope you're happy with the info.

22. Relax? Don't think so........Many people named that..... SO- You gonna disclose,or let everyone else take their chances? Bottom line. DO what is right for others.......Like I said before- On your conscience if something happens to anyone.

23. worn shoes

worn shoes

UOTE="INVISIBLEKID, post: 11119777, member: 16079"]Relax? Don't think so........Many people named that..... SO- You gonna disclose,or let everyone else take their chances? Bottom line. DO what is right for others.......Like I said before- On your conscience if something happens to anyone.[/QUOTE]
    Im not the man behind the work so I can and will sleep good at night. I just wanted some ideas on how to fix this or if I should replace this mess. I already did a Yelp and those who want to read it in my area can. I said the shop's name and his. I hope that has satisfied you.

daddio211, Hnstray and clem like this.
  24. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Holy Crap. I would not have guessed that.

25. STEVE at LIMEWORKS? CORRECT? I have no dog in this fight,so- only asking that you protect others. This is what I've gathered from the posts... Only was asking that you look after potential customers of the place YOU went. I'm glad you caught things,and hopefully will save others potential problems.
    Nothing personal,except protecting the un-informed. I hope you see where I'm coming from.
    Just clarify my Q,and i'll be done,and you have answered my Q.

1927graham and worn shoes like this.
  26. trp3141592

trp3141592
    from Michigan

Hi,
    CuNiFer brake line is easily formed, easily flared, and not too expensive. You MUST use double flares on brakes--it's a matter of life and death. Eastwood (and others) has a terrific flaring tool--not cheap but it works every time--that will make your flares to perfection.

--Tom

volvobrynk and jbrittonjr like this.
  27. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

X2 on the Eastwood kit. Bob

29. good luck with your brake repair, Shoes!

worn shoes likes this.
  30. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

The AN fittings are fine, That's all I ever used on my dragsters. He probably just flared them, not double flared. JB weld on brake lines?!!!! He doesn't need to be working on anything, PERIOD! Get you a roll of the new nickel, copper brake line, it won't rust, very easy to work with, and it double flares real well. You can use regular brake fittings or AN. Napa, KOI, or any of the regular brake line you buy now is crap. I've had it to rust out in less than a year. Plus you have to use couplers or you can't find a correct length line. The line I;m talking about is around $2.00 a ft but you put it on and forget about it. It comes in 25 or 50 ft rolls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.