Register now to get rid of these ads!

9 inch rear disc brake installation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iamflashman, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Alright. Got the swap finished up. Bolting on wheel and tire combos now. I'm running steel 15x7 wheels. Tonight after bolting one on to check for fit. I have a hell of a time spinning it around. It takes a shit ton of effort. Is it because everything inside the rear end is all brand new? And with a locker I'm trying to turn two axles at once? All new pads rubbing on the rotors? Ideas??? Am I just worrying about nothing?

2. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Take the pads out, and try again, and make sure parking brakes aren't dragging, ( mini drum parking brakes?)

Dog_Patch likes this.
  3. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Yeah. Park brake insides the rotor. Pads seem to be super thick. Might try shaving off some with the old belt sander?
    Thanks Stealth!!!

4. Hawaiifive-0

Hawaiifive-0

Will this work on a 9 inch axle out of a 1959 T-bird? I see the original post mentioned a 1957 9 inch. The reason I ask is that it seems like the axle I have has an unusual axle shaft offset. With a tape measure, I'm measuring 2 1/8 inch from the axle face to the bearing retainer, when installed. Is this the same offset as the 1957 axle that the original post discussed? I know there are several different offsets, and mine is not the common one. Thanks

5. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Man!!! I wish I could help you with this. But I don't have any idea. I don't want to bullshit you and say yes or no. Lots of smart people here. Some one will help you! Good luck!

6. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Got my dragging fixed. Rotor has a lip on the back side that was hitting the backing plate. WTF??!! Anyways a 1/2 flat washer behind the rotor and BAM!!! No mo dragging!

7. fairlaniac

fairlaniac
    from Denver, PA

Subscribing - great posts!

8. fairlaniac

fairlaniac
    from Denver, PA

I'm not following the need for the mentioned spacer. Why is this needed and where is it to be located? Any pictures since this posting? Thanks!
    Doug

9. 4woody

4woody

10. fairlaniac

fairlaniac
    from Denver, PA

when using the spacer, won't the end of the axle pull away the same distance from the cross pin in the differential? not that it's a problem, it's just that I am ordering new axles and I figure I'll add the spacer thickness to the axle length if new. Would this be correct or am I missing something? Thanks!

11. tailpipe47

tailpipe47

The reason a spacer is used with the disc brake backing plate is because there is a space between the backing plate and the outer face of the bearing. If it is left that way and when making turns this space allows the axles to slam back and forth in that space until something bad begins to happen. You can buy spacers and you can make spacers. the key is to use spacers.
    Has anyone seen or heard of this conversion being done on a Mopar 8 3/4 " rearend? The backing plate hole measurment looks close enough. Just asking.

12. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I have not heard about it on mopars.... I have a update tho!!! We have had the Chero on the road for a while now. We did the Scarbird big disc brake conversion on the front and are still using the old mason jar M/C. She stops pretty darn good. Haven't locked up the rears yet. Pretty good braking system for cruzing I think. I'm going to put on a manual M/C for a Maverick this winter for piece of mind.

13. fairlaniac

fairlaniac
    from Denver, PA

Is there any reason why this would not work on 35 spline axles? Does the added diameter of the axle not allow the use of the Currie or home made spacers?
    Thanks,

14. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

That is a very good question... That I don't have a good answer too. But the spacers are pretty big as far as diameter. Meaning good amount of slop. It's kind of a pain in the ass to get them to line up while bolting up the bearing plate and backing plate.

15. The spline count has nothing to do with axel flange offset.

16. fairlaniac

fairlaniac
    from Denver, PA

You are correct unless the diameter changes where the rings go? This I don't know.

thanks,