Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pigeon Forge who`s going?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Blownranger, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Shades of the Past,Pigeon Forge,Tenn.next week?
    If you see my black,caddy powered `34 Ford full fendered
    roadster stop and say hello.I`m a tall,white haired.old
    fart.Look for our small white and brown Papillon puppy.

JR....

2. Hey JR, I met you at GG Coulumbus, And the little dog too I might add. Hows the RPU coming? How about some construction pics. Thanks.

3. I'll be there Friday afternoon or Saturday AM - probably Saturday AM.

On foot.

JH

4. Hi Roadstar,How have you been?Jennys(puppy)fine,still the
    boss and the star.Finished the RPU in about 4mos.(those
    Hi-Boys are easy) It draws a crowd every where it goes.
    Got some great pictures,but never can finger out how to
    post them.I painted it light met blue,with red scallops and
    Hot Rod Walt striped it.
    Wish we where taking it to P.F. ,It`s a super fun cruise
    car and thats the place to cruise.
    Taking the `34 because we need to sell it.
    I`m also into Bikes,got a mint `70 Triumph Tiger 650.
    You should get down to Tenn and catch that show,it`s
    always the first week after Laborday.Been going for 15
    years.Neat place.

Take care...JR..

5. Mrs. HRP and I will be in Piegon Forge on Thursday,,,,
    for anyone who has never been,,,,,it is bumper to bumper,and people line the streets all day and half the night! [​IMG]

The show has opened its doors from pre 48 to 1964...I don't know where they plan to put all the cars [​IMG]but, it should be BIG!...............HOTRODPRIMER

6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

So how far in advance do you have to get hotels for this event. I have wanted to go for several years but always for get until last minute...

7. Boones,There are plenty rooms,Pidgeon Forge and Gadlingburgh
    (right next to PF 9miles)are tourest/resort towns with
    1,000 of rooms.They tend to gough you show weekend a little.
    I stay at a Motel 6 or 8 last 5years because they are closest to the show and allow pets.Hundreds of motel a long the strip.Sold 2 high dollar cars there in the past,a lot of
    cars change hands in front of The Grand Hotel and on the strip at night.
    Also there is a hugh motorcycle show in Cherokee,next town
    from Gatlingburg 30 mi over state park.
    Will hit it on the way home Sunday.
    JR...

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

There are always rooms in Gatlinburg.........

It is 5 - 6 miles away.

It is my understanding that a good number of rooms have been turned back in by Street Rodders who do not want the show to go pre 65. I was told this in Pigeon Forge by motel staff (while I was on the way to the NATS in Louisville KY).

[​IMG]

9. ratster

ratster

I'll be their with about 15-20 Greazy Hubcapz. Just look for all the junk and you'll find us.

10. deuceV8

deuceV8

I'll be there. Look for my roadster it's flat black with cream steelies and wide whites and of course no top.

Attached Files:

11. 77autosales

77autosales

Always go to PF for the Shades event sometimes I have reservations and sometimes I don't BUT I never had to sleep in the car ,, you may not get the room you want BUT you can find one somewhere. Fine cars and better fellowship. Be safe and have a good trip !!!!!

12. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I've never seen anyone answer a 12 year dormant thread before, gotta be the record for this forum.

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. How did he ever even find this thread? Guess he's learned to use the search function already.:D

i.rant and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. Holy Cow,talk about bringing back a long dead thread.

12 years ago this thread was posted but I guess it could be considered a relevant topic.

BTW,I was in Pigeon Forge in 2003 and plan on being there in 2015.HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. .........................................Last time I was there for Shades of the Past was 3 yrs. ago but I spent my first 12 yrs. just minutes away.

16. J.R. Over in Cherokee toward Maggie Valley there is the musem I think its called Wheels In Time.Every kind of motorcycle there.Mike and Frank from American Pickers sold him a rare car also.Bruce. too.Bruce.

17. Wheels thru time,it's a fantastic museum. HRP

18. montero

montero

Ha Ha, are hotel rooms as easy to find for this event now as they were in 2003??

19. ........................Check in nearby Newport and Dandridge. They almost always have rooms available, perhaps even cheaper than PF, and an easy drive to the show.

20. There is probably 3 times as many now,Pigeon Forge has really grown in the last 20 years. HRP

21. I stand corrected.Thanks H.R.P. Bruce.

22. Pigeon Forge is to crowded for me and I live in Sevierville.I am going to the one in Newports park.Bruce.

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If shades is like Rod Run its a "real easy" drive cause you can just about walk faster than you can drive because of traffic being locked up so bad,:D Thats why I like to stay central if possible so I dont hafta drive much after I finally get in,but the central places are starting to get pretty worn out,run down and 2 or 3 times as high during Rod Run etc. so.....???
    We left pigeon forge where we were staying one year during Rod Run and went into gatlinburg to eat at Texas Roadhouse one evening (before they had one in pigeon forge), its only around 5 miles away and pretty much nothing but beautiful nature along the river, We got there in a decent amount of time "considering" but it took us over"4 hrs" to come back the 4 or 5 miles, old cars were overheating and pulling off in the grass and sitting by the river, guys on bikes shut em off and were sitting on em walking them instead of running them, alot of discrete as could be men and women, roadside tinklers behind trees, held jackets etc. along the way.......when your eyeballs are floatin you gotta go, so.........but anyway, It was about 1:00 AM when we got back to the motel, dont think its genrally that bad anymore but it was that night............lesson learned:D

oh, and yes the wheels through time over in maggie valley is pretty cool, smells like gas and oil soon as you walk in cause they fire the bikes up, work on em etc. rite there inside the place. I really enjoyed it. and Im not that big of a bike guy.............or I wasnt as into em til I took that tour but then again I enjoy anything antique,classic,old .
    heres a link
    http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  24. I started going when the run was in Gatlingburg many years ago before it moved to pigeon Forge and at that time Pigeon Forge was a wide spot in the road,,It has grown every year.

I have been going long enough to know to stay off the main drag if you want to go somewhere,lots of back roads that will keep you out of the cruising traffic. HRP

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I started going some in the mid 90s, I heard they had a big riot or something; some years ago when it was in gatlinburg
    dont know the details or how true it is???

............... Things keep heading on out of the hollow and beyond more and more

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  26. The city called out the Fire Department to disperse the crowds,gave a new meaning of being hosed.

It all got started by the rabid football fans,the Vols and Auburn I think,there were some bad blood with the game and it spilled over into the streets of Gatlingburg,I know we sure got wet.

There was also a lot of locals doing burn outs in the street and dumping bleach and aging on people to blister tires,,it got nuts. HRP

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  27. H.R.P. When we moved here 19 years ago.I was able to cruise in Pigeon Forge .The traffic really moved real well back then.Now hardly anything moves it so crowded. NOW DONT GET ME WRONG There are a lot of beautiful cars there its just I cant stay on my feet like I used to{bad ankles from truck driving}It is a very cool pace to see different car. P.S. I never had a bad steak from that Texas Road House. lol.Bruce.

28. CRZNDUCK

CRZNDUCK

I will be there for the 3rd consecutive year. Last year we brought up a black 33 Vicky with a Motor City Flathead and wound up with a StreetRodder Top 100 pick. This year bringing up the 55 Nomad. Black with Silver Top. Stop by and say hi if you see us.

29. ratrod0

ratrod0

In 1968 my dad drove a 1932 vicky. This year he is going to drive a 1932 vicky not the same car. He has drove 1932 ford's up there for along time. Ive been there in 68 with him but drive my own 32 now.

30. I'll be there in the Deuce sedan,I've been to Pigeon Forge so many times I have learned how to avoid all the traffic and know all the back roads. HRP