Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Must do in Detroit????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TinShed, Aug 10, 2015.

1. TinShed

TinShed

My son and I are going to detroit on wed the 12th for part of his 11th birthday present. We have plans for the evening but I am looking for must see car attractions for the day. We fly in around 9am and are open to anything automotive related till 4pm. It is a surprise for him but he as big of a gear head as a 11 year old can be.... I am leaning towards the Henry Ford Museum and possibly the Ford Rogue Plant tour and drive by some of the abandoned factories.

Any pointers or help are appreciated

Thanks Tim

2. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

The GM Headquarters lobby has some cool cars, at the Ren Center. There is a GM Heritage center in Warren or Troy, just north of Detroit, that may have tours. I think you can find it on line.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Henry Ford and Greenfield Village will take a full day each, and you'll miss stuff. Bob

4. Henry Ford Museum..hands down one of the best museums in the world.

5. dos zetas

dos zetas

If you have time after the Henry Ford, go see the DIA and Hitsville USA...
    I like Detroit.

6. DaveM

DaveM
    from Michigan

I agree... Henry Ford Museum takes a full day, but it is excellent. The DIA is fantastic. The Rivera murals are iconic automotive related artworks. It is also a reminder that Detroit was once one of the most powerful and modern cities in the United States, if not the world. The DIA is still one of the best art museums in the country. Not sure what the best place for dinner is in Greektown any more, but you will want to get some pastries there for dessert. It is a really neat city with a lot of history.

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Tinshed; You will be in Detroit at the same time as the Woodward Dream Cruise.
    YOU MUST SEE IT.
    Each day and night all week hot rods, customs, muscle cars, etc cruise up and down Woodward Ave.
    YOU MUST SEE IT.
    It is unbelievable.
    YOU MUST SEE IT. Start here for info. IT IS THE COOLEST CAR EVENT EVER.
    http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

8. If I ever get to Detroit,I want to go to Denise house for some cookies...LOL

9. I was there last year and wasn't impressed,,I got tired of see all the new cars cruising but hear it was much better 10 years ago.

I have been to the Henry Ford Museum and it will take all day long.

When I was there last year Denise was at another show. :( HRP

10. millersgarage

millersgarage

9 to 4....not enough time. See as much of the Henry Ford as you can, but you'll wish you had more time. I could spend half that just looking at the Allegheny Locomotive.

captain scarlet likes this.
  11. Yeah hit Woodward during your evening. Some of us were out last Thursday evening and already lots of cars out...this week will be busy every night. Also I always take folks to Fairlane to see Henry's home he built after he moved from Boston Edison

12. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

I'm with HRP

Cruise can be done in an evening when the museum is closed.

13. TinShed

TinShed

This was a spur of the moment thing on a self employed guys budget. My son is a fan of any TV show that has to do with cars. On wed night the 12th the guys from FastNLoud are drag racing the guys from RoadKill at the silverdome. He does not even know they are doing it, I saw it on instagram so my wife cashed in some of her airline miles to get us there and I am taking the day to take him.... He will explode when I wake him up wed morning. I know some on here hate roadkill and shows like fast and loud but he plays no video games and we do not have satellite tv what he does see is on the internet and he seeks that stuff out. FYI the truck in my Avatar is his and he is 10 so if how that truck looks says anything about his style I have nothing to worry about!!!!!! I want to get a picture of him by a rundown factory for my wife. I hope we find a safe place to do that then to the HF museum. Do the drag thing then cruise woodward after that. It will be late night but he can sleep on the flight home thursday morning. Thursday is his 11th birthday, I hope it will stay with him for years....

14. Do this first...
    Go to the Highland Park plant for that photo op....the main office is still standing and is safe...drive down Manchester to get the full scope of that plant and envision it in 1926 spitting out T's...
    then go to the Henry Ford and see the power generator for that plant and its massiveness...only to find out there were 8 more! There are also some great pics of that plant in its hey day

15. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I think the Fairlane is closed, due to renovation/restoration. However, Edsel's place on Jefferson is open.

16. 49_Caddy

49_Caddy
    1. GMB

That's truly awesome, I'm pretty sure your son will remember this birthday forever.

Did you already register for the Roadkill Nights at the Silverdome? Each person has to have a printed voucher and they have now sold out. I'll have my '49 Caddy in the car show area, stop by and say hi if you feel like it.

-Jim

17. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Sounds like your day is full but Greek town is a great place to eat if you have time.

18. dad-bud

dad-bud

Sounds like a great thing to do with your son for his 11th birthday.
    I've been to the Henry Ford museum twice, a few years apart. You can spend way more than a day there soaking in the 20th Century even without looking at the Rouge plant or Greenfield, but if you are looking for something slightly off the main track, try the Chrysler Museum just out of town.
    Enjoy the hell out of your time with your boy, and congratulations for doing it with him.

19. 49_Caddy

49_Caddy
    1. GMB

The Walter P. Chrysler museum would be perfect, since it's so close to the Silverdome where your evening will be spent, but it is only open to the public a couple times a year.

20. Are you actually going to Detroit, or one of the suburbs? Big difference!
    Any ways, The Henry Ford / Greenfield Village is great but pricey (I work across the street). I think the Chrysler museum in Auburn Hills is still open. And, 2 hours west is the Gilmore Museum, one of the greatest car museums in the country to visit.

Steve

loveoftiki likes this.
  21. TinShed

TinShed

I have the tickets for the roadkill nights deal. I am locked and loaded to go in the morning. He will not know till 5am tomorrow. It will be a ton of fun and a whirlwind, good thing we work together great and have the same interests. Thanks for all the help guys, I have not been to detroit since 1992 so it will all be new to me. Is the Packard plant in that bad of a area that it is unsafe in daylight? If I was driving I would be armed but with the flight, I have nothing but my stunning good looks to fend of hoodlums... :)

22. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

It is really pitiful to have to ask if any place in America is safe to take your kid to in the daylight..

23. TinShed

TinShed

Yes, Yes it is.....

24. 49_Caddy

49_Caddy
    1. GMB

I'm curious in which part of the country you think that an abandoned factory is a 100% safe place to take a child without asking for some advice?

25. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

This is closed to the public now :-(

26. raymay

raymay

In addition to the Woodward Cruise on Saturday, there are lots of events further North near Flint. Did the GM assembly plant open house tour today. Also found a small car show at the UAW facility near the plant. There are nightly cruises, free drive-in movie and a huge Back to the Bricks event on Saturday.
    May be doing the GM Heritage center and a Lingenfelter tour later this week.
    Tons of stuff to do, just ask around. IMG_5912.JPG IMG_5918.JPG IMG_5917.JPG IMG_5916.JPG IMG_5915.JPG IMG_5914.JPG IMG_5919.JPG

27. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

RayMay,
    Just leave that El Camino in front of Clark's. I'll be there in the morning to pick it up.

If you noticed the construction across the street, that is the sight of our Wheelz, Dealz and Mealz car show. It is normally the second Saturday in June but we had to make way for the earth moving equipment this year. Next year it will be back with our new church building. Trinity Lutheran Church, Fenton, MI

28. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

He asked if the "area"was safe, I don't think he plans to tour the "abandoned factory"

29. raymay

raymay

Staying up at my Son's on Fish Lake Rd. Sorry but the ElCamino is my ride home next week.
    Did the GM heritage Center again this morning and then spent the rest of the afternoon on Woodward. Found a spot around 13 mile across from where the GM Design center was setting up their employee show. A few of them came across the street to check out my 56 and tried to get me a parking spot with them. The girl in charge was firm on her employee only rule. Still had fun and met a lot of nice people. Heading to Holly for dinner and their Wednesday night cruise in.

IMG_5925.JPG IMG_5927.JPG IMG_5929.JPG IMG_5946.JPG IMG_5947.JPG IMG_5948.JPG IMG_5949.JPG IMG_5952.JPG IMG_5953.JPG IMG_5954.JPG IMG_5955.JPG IMG_5956.JPG IMG_5957.JPG IMG_5958.JPG

30. raymay

raymay

TinShed, hope you and your Son had a memorable time in Detroit.
    Mid August is a great time to visit. If you go again plan a longer stay. My Son and his Wife live there. I found out the week before Woodward they called it "Tune Up Week" which is also loaded with car related events. Already looking forward to my own repeat trip next year.
    We participated in some of the "Back To The Bricks" events, cruised Woodward during the week, toured a GM factory, The Heritage Center, Lingenfelter Performace Engineering, some local cruise nights and of course spent Saturday at the Woodward Dream Cruise.
    A nice mix of old and new. Great place to get a little motivation and ideas for your own builds. Certainly something for everyone.

IMG_6029.JPG IMG_6030.JPG IMG_6035.JPG IMG_6036.JPG IMG_6052.JPG IMG_6054.JPG IMG_6067.JPG IMG_6069.JPG IMG_6072.JPG IMG_6078.JPG IMG_6079.JPG DSC02292.JPG

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015