Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

A buddy was in the right place at the right time and snapped this pic yesterday when I was out for a run with my son.
    Lots of changes this year from when my Avatar pic was taken last year...and they all added to the car I think! You're looking at most of them...but I doubt anyone can even notice. LoL spotted.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Guys--I`m pretty sure that is Gene Chan`s T. One of my favourites. There is a Colour Feature on it in Hot Rod, but I can`t remember which issue. I`ll think on it.

Thanks for the visit yesterday, Tim. And your help as well. Bug#1 has gone, now on to #2 and #3....
    I may need to start on the T again for Therapy....

Anyone hear from Gary D the last few days? That huge fire is getting pretty close to Clearlake...

dana barlow likes this.
  3. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Glad to visit and offer miniscule amounts of help. Hope you can get rid of the bug(s) ASAP lol. Definitely a good idea to get in some T therapy. I'll touch base with you later this week.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. SimonSez

SimonSez

Pretty sure it is this one from the San Diego Prowlers club.

http://www.san-diego-prowlers-hot-rod-club.com/history/in-the-1960-s/

Their caption reads:

Clark Geffe's (#49) '25 Ford "T" roadster. This rod was made from the famous Downy brothers "Wha-Hoppen Special". The wall murral at the Wally Park NRHA Museum is in Pomona Calif. , shows this roadster as it ran at the Dry Lakes in the early '50's.

[​IMG]

It sure is a good looking, nicely proportioned bucket!

kiwijeff and dana barlow like this.
  5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Look what I have ;) :D
    Larry
    IMG_20150806_112302 (2).jpg 001 (2).jpg 002 (2).jpg

6. That looks damn slick Larry. :cool::cool::cool::D JW

7. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for asking Paul. So far the fire is on the East side of the lake. I live on the West side. About the time they got the first fire under control another one started south of the first one. Still not close to me.

I did go to Jerry Forman's BBQ in Winnamucca Nevada this year Thursday last. What a collection he has. I'll post some photos. He said when I drove my roadster to his BBQ in Austin Nevada 2004 it inspired him to build one. Quite a compliment.

Anyone hear from Gary D the last few days? That huge fire is getting pretty close to Clearlake...[/QUOTE]

IMG_0333.jpg IMG_0338.jpg IMG_0344.jpg IMG_0352.jpg IMG_0353.jpg IMG_0357.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Larry, your getting close, now to get it all shiny and drive the crap out of it!

9. brad2v

brad2v

Larry, I love the top. Gary D, glad you're safe, I hope you remain so. Some cool stuff in your pics. Nice detective work Simonsez, that's it! Good looking car, and a bunch of cool stuff on that link. I sure like this;[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. nobux

nobux

Can we talk front brake hoses? I have F1 brakes on a spring-over 4" drop axle with split wishbones. I bought a F-100 hose to try, but it's a little on the short side. Does anyone know of one a little longer?

11. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

nobux I dug out my 1981 EIS catalog and I found a note from my T build in the '80s . I wrote
    Although I'm using '40-'48 Ford brakes. If those #s don't work for you just sit down with an EIS catalog and figure out what you need. Any major parts house has them. Oh shit all that shit is in the computer now. Maybe you can buy an old one on ebay.

150 first
    SP 3379

138 second
    SP5175

Hope it helps

Gary

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  12. nobux

nobux

13. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I just measured the front brake hoses on my roadster they are at least two feet long.
    Gary

14. Do you guys not have brake hose companies that make to order. I had mine made (easily 24-26 inches long) and they cost only a little more than ones (which were too short) from the parts store.

15. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Graham
    Because of insurance restrictions most hydraulic hose makers here won't make brake hoses. They have to be DOT (Department of Transportation) approved. Their is a shop here in my rural area that will do them though.
    Gary

16. There is a company that's always at all the shows that makes all different kinds of hoses, including brake hoses (and I'm pretty sure they are DOT approved). Trouble is, I can't remember the name of it right now...maybe Show Rod Industries? Also, have you tried calling any of the F100 places answer asking them? With all the different suspensions and mods they've been put through over the years, any of those guys who have been around a while might have an idea.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  17. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I meant to look at my brake hoses while I was out at the garage, but I forgot.

I have decided to make major changes to my project and further delay its completion. I seem to be good at doing that, so why stop now?

Rather than build the shortened touring T next, I have decided to part ways with the T related stuff and search for something different. This all came about after I found a decent deal on a pair of '32 rails. When in Rome, right? ;)

So.... now I'm thinking that my 'Vette dual quad clone engine needs to go in the lighter of the two vehicles, and that it would be a crime to butt that 301 up to an automatic transmission, so I blew the bucket chassis apart for a fresh canvas that would allow me to scheme.

TH-350:

1439537996003.jpg

Muncie that I borrowed:

1439538043987.jpg

Camaro T5 w/ S10 tail shaft that I was saving for the Touring project:

1439538088689.jpg

dana barlow, volvobrynk and daddio211 like this.
  18. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Because the Muncie has the shift linkage on the side of the trans, and the shifter would basically be under my right leg, and also because Muncie's are out of my price range, I don't think it's the best option. However, it does bolt to the trans crossmember without modification, so that was a plus. Special thanks to Old Car Parts in Portland for letting me borrow it!

I'm gonna go with the T5 because I already have it, it gives me overdrive, and the shifter is in an optimal position. So, I started mocking things up accordingly.

The trans mount is 1.5" back on the T5, and the tailshaft is 3" longer than the TH-350. The yoke spline and diameter is the same. I will modify my existing mount for a dual bolt pattern, and I will have the driveshaft shortened. Because my pinion is offset, this changes my pinion angle laterally from 4.6ish degrees to 6.8ish. Still acceptable u joint operating angles from what I've read.

1439538421500.jpg

1439538666545.jpg

1439538685444.jpg

Since the ladder bars tie into the trans crossmember, I have been scheming for quite awhile on how to brace the chassis a bit, as well as incorporate a driveshaft safety loop. Here is what I'm thinking about in paper form:

1439538804138.jpg

1439538837741.jpg

And I started scheming the clutch linkage and additional pedal considerations. Initially, I was thinking hydraulic, but now I'm thinking mechanical. I picked up a scrap Z bar to hack up from Old Car Parts in Portland today. It's shown mounted on the bellhousing, but I think I will mount on the block for firewall clearance.

1439539062959.jpg

Anyway, that's what I've been up to. Kinda waiting for some parts to show up before I proceed cutting tac welds and what not ;)

19. Are you sure that T-5 is going to hold up to that dual quad Vette motor? Chevy wouldn't even put them behind the 350 TPI motors, you had to order the 305 to get a T-5. I've tried (and killed) just about every manual trans out there EXCEPT this one because I always thought they were weak sauce. Now I will admit most of this destruction occurred in heavier vehicles than a '32, mostly '67-'69 Camaro's, and '63-69' Corvettes, but still, they will die if abused much at all (by abuse I mean spirted driving with decent hp under the hood, not stupid stuff). A lot of guys will swear they will live, but only you know how your gonna drive this thing. Last thing I killed was a Doug Nash 6 speed from a mild(er) 420ci small block, maybe 500 hp at best(Think the engine dyno was just above 500hp, so probably 450hp (give or take a little) at the wheels? Tried D.N. 4+3's, Muncies, Borg Warners, and whomever took over Doug Nash's designs (Damn I HATE getting older, it's right at the tip of my tongue, and I can't remember it right now.....:mad:). Point is, they will all break if you put some decent hp to them, and ESPECIALLY if you run sticky tires (not even slicks). Now on the other end of the sectrum, there was an older guy who ran around San Antonio back in the early 80's that had a boss 429 in a '32 Roadster, and he ran a Toyota(!) 5 speed behind it (cause it was basically the only street 5 speed you could get back then). He swore it held up fine, and that 3 of the 4 bolt holes matched the stock bell housing (top loader, I guess?), only one had to be redrilled, but I don't remember that car ever coming close to hooking up! Saw it live through quite a few burnouts though!. Only one I've been fairly impressed with so far is the Tremec TKO 600 we put in Donnie's '63 Vette, it seems to be holding up pretty well! I will fix the Doug Nash 6 speed for '68 Vette, it's a little bit of a compromise, but it sounds just like a M-22, and just sounds so RIGHT in that car! It's mostly a cruiser anyway (A/C, P/S, P/B), so the cams pretty conservative.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    daddio211 and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  20. Richmond bought out Doug Nash! Had to go look it up, it was killing me! Damn CRS!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

brad2v, daddio211 and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  21. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I'm almost certain the T5 will grenade itself at some point. I don't plan on being nice to it, but I also don't plan on abusing it. There's a company called G Force Transmissions that makes upgraded gears, shafts, and cases for the T5, supposedly to support 550hp. The 301 will kick out 400 AT BEST I figure, and very little torque. Most of the time I will be cruising around on 7.50 - 16 Firestones, so I imagine they will give before the trans does. But I will not be surprised if gears turn to powder when the slicks get bolted on lol.

volvobrynk and daddio211 like this.
  22. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Tim--Thanks for the call earlier. I`ll be taking those touring pieces, if that`s O.K. If Gary from Christmas Valley is still here--You might be the best buyer for my real `23-5 Roadster panels. I know we talked about it at Portland Swap.......Looks like I missed on that `57 283. I may have another one available though.....Anyone know if Fred sold his Bucket? So Cheap....

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  23. jalopy45

jalopy45

It's fine by me Paul, I'm looking for a late teens Dodge roadster body from the doors back.

24. Jalopy45, there've been a couple of '20s era Dodge roadsters on eBay this week. I think they expired without being sold, so they might end up relisted.

25. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Well, I went to Parkrose Hardware today to scheme. I ended up finding what I believe to be most of the pieces to build the clutch and brake pedals as well as clutch linkage assembly. Hard to tell from the photo, but I think my paper templates are good enough to transfer to steel and start cutting. Still waiting on the clutch fork, so maybe next weekend I can get some stuff done!

1439777458259.jpg

jalopy45, t-rod, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  26. AndersF

AndersF

brad2v and jalopy45 like this.
  27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

28. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Gary..It looks like FalconGeorge wants my T Roadster stuff. If you want, I have a couple of contacts for the Dodge parts you need that I could ask.......let me know........now, back to work.......

29. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Are you Graham Brooke? It's weird, I feel I know a lot about you guys, I gets surprised when I see you name, and not your handle.

So just to sum up

You are graham, need louvers is chip, blown fuel is kurt,
    Tim_with_a_T is your first name Tim?
    Kiwi tinbender, what is your name?
    FalconGeorge is you first name George?
    Nitrobrother ?
    Jalopy45 ?

Ned ludd wrote to me on FB and it took me three weeks to find the connection between his real name and his HAMB handle.

Lol, some times I'm so slow, people wonder if I got a "Forrest gump" loop to get to a public school. :O :-0

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015