Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Have any of you cut up a car with a hatchet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lewk, Aug 8, 2015.

1. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Like This ????? Burried 36 ford.jpg

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Cordless sawzall.

3. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

Need the floor out a Karmin Ghia at Pick-U-Part used a cold chisel and hammer . I welded a cross bar to chisel so it just slide along as I hammered .

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. silent rick

silent rick

my trusty P38. opened up a shitload of chili cans

5. gatz

gatz

machete and hammer ?

....and Ham & MoFos ?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  6. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

They have trailer parks in New Zealand too? I thought the U.S. had the monopoly on barefoot white trash.

7. 48jeep

48jeep

Back about 1963 my brother brought home a 47 Dodge sedan to make into a dunebuggy. He told my friend and I we could take off the body if we wanted to tackle it.Being about 14 years old and young and dumb we did. We used a hacksaw and cold chisel and by the next morning it was a done deal. I only remember getting to ride in it once.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Could have been one of these stories. Back when I was collecting parts for a '32 Vicky i bought a rough Tudor door off "That Auction Site" from somewere out west, Utah I think.. Solid door with a two foot or so hole hacked out of the center with an ax. Story goes someone need a round lid for a pipe. Best story is the one about Duesenberg restorer Jim Hoe. Back in the late 1940's he bought a Model J Duesenberg on Long Island maybe 50 miles from his home in Weston, Ct. Paid the man and asked if he had an ax he could use for a while. Don't know if the guy made more money selling the body parts or not. Jim built a Sports Car out if it and it raced at the first few GP races at Watking Glen. He had the car for years, Leo Gephart finally bought it and it may be in several restored cars now. Bob

9. that wasn't the stories i was thinking of. maybe it was a hershey find?

10. it was fun to do this

image0937.JPG image0938.JPG

11. We sold hit with a hacket a 60 Corvair in college to raise money for our car club...
    We also had a raffle to see how long the engine would run without oil......

12. I cut up a 1936 Dodge sedan parts car body with a hammer and chisel, once. I had nothing else to cut it up with in order to take the body to the dump. VERY slow process!!

13. Budget36

Budget36

49'ers, in the 70's I believe.

14. Budget36

Budget36

I'm with the battery powered Sawzall, take a cordless drill too, get some holes started.

I know you said the car is full, but get it opened a bit, shovel out where you want to cut, etc.

15. I completely dismantled a '41 Ford coupe with a log chain and a pickup. I mean what kind of idiot would want that car in 1963?

16. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

My younger brother used Dad's wood splitting maul on an old mid-70's Toyota around 1979 or so. Split the body in half behind the front doors. He kept the engine, transmission, two front fenders (new in primer) and cut the sheet metal out of the roof for patch panels on one of his projects. He also found out what happens when you hit the air chisel against a tempered glass window.

17. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

I caught a beaver out of a nearby creek , grabbed it by the tail and had it chew the roof off a 36 5W coupe!

Texas Webb and 49ratfink like this.
  18. raidmagic

raidmagic

True story to a point. Big Raiders fan here. He did it to a Chevy and it was when he played for UT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Reynolds_(American_football)

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From Wikipedia: Reynolds earned his nickname in 1969 by cutting an abandoned 1953 Chevrolet Bel Air (some accounts claim it was a Porsche) in half with a hacksaw after his previously unbeaten University of Tennessee team returned from an embarrassing 38-0 road loss to Ole Miss. "I came back to school and I was very upset," Reynolds said. "I had to do something to relieve my frustration." He decided to turn the abandoned car into a trailer for his newly purchased Jeep. After working through the night on the project, chewing through 13 hacksaw blades, he returned the next day with some teammates to show off his handiwork. However, when they arrived, both halves of the car were gone. For the remainder of his career, the nickname stuck.[1] Reynolds appeared in a non-speaking role in theSimpsons episode "Sunday, Cruddy Sunday" when Dan Marino calls him and another football player named "Bubba" on Homer for picking a pass meant for Bart.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't let these clowns bs you it isn't that hard to cut one up with an axe and it costs a hell of a lot less than renting a generator or buying a cordless sawzall that some seem to assume that everyone already owns. I watched a big red bearded guy cut up a Corvair with a double bitted axe in the early seventies behind a machine shop in Waco. His answer to my question of why he didn't use a torch was that gas for a torch cost money. After that I cut up three or four scrap cars with a axe and it doesn't take that long if you think it out. One of my best friends will tell you that the first time he met me I was cutting one up with an axe in the back yard of the house I lived in. I was a whole lot younger and a whole lot stronger then though. Just cut your lines were there is little support behind the panel and far enough away to not damage what you want to save.

Add to that an axle is a hell of a lot easier to carry though the brush and down over a creek bank than a generator or other power equipment.

brad2v likes this.
  21. This is cheaper
    ancient_opener_lg.jpg

22. oldgezer

oldgezer

Reminds me of a kid I had in Auto Shop. He got mad at his car (french pos) and took a piece of 2" pipe to it to teach it some manners. In the process he managed to hit himself on the top of his head and managed to lay his scalp open with much blood and his buddies laughing at him. This happened during lunch and I didn't know anything about it until the school nurse called and wanted to know what happened. My response was that I didn't know but would find out. His buddies all were glad to tell me, while laughing, what happened.

23. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I needed to cut a hole in a 275 gal fuel oil barrel years ago. I got started with a hammer and chisel but it was a lot of work. I went at it with my Dad's 16" Channel Lock pliers and just tore the metal with them. It was faster and easier. Heavier metal than a car body, too. The axe might be needed for cutting through braces.

Gary

24. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Reynolds appeared in a non-speaking role in the Simpsons episode "Sunday, Cruddy Sunday" when Dan Marino calls him and another football player named "Bubba" on Homer for picking a pass meant for Bart."

Not to get OT but how the hell do you "appear" in a "non-speaking role" in an animated cartoon? LOL!!!

25. Boatmark

Boatmark

Reminds me of a buddy (a crazy Finn) who was closing shop and moving to another state. Needed to get rid of a 70's Chevy van, and a 67' Bonneville that had been sitting behind his shop for years. Both junk.

Called the crusher, and they wanted something like $250 per car. He wanted to save money, so he and a friend took a torch and a sawsall to the Pontiac, and cut it into small enough pieces to load into the van. Keep in mind this was a complete car, not just a shell. Took them a weekend, and a LOT of beer. (!)

Monday he called the crusher to pick up ONE vehicle. The flatbed the sent could barely drag the van onto the deck!!

26. as a musician.

27. Travis T

Travis T

I broke up an 83 Mercury Capri with a maul but it probably was easier than an older car would be. I destroyed every bit of it, wasn't easy to control.

28. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Not much to add. I did see a guy with a chisel and hammer cutting a quarter panel out at the pick ur part once. Looked like he was making slow but steady progress.

When I saw the title of this thread I though of this guy. Lol
    Cai, the hatchet wielding hitchhiker
    [​IMG]

29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Back in 1960,I needed the rear window and about 3 to 4in. of body that held it out of a junked 53 Studebaker little coupe,being a teenager my tools were a Boyscout axe an hammer,worked great really at the time,I grafted that as a front windsheild on to my cut off topped Henry J custom

30. Squablow

Squablow

A decent vice-grips can be used like a nibbler on sheetmetal pretty well, I cut the inner panel out of a Mercedes door to get at the window regulator in the junkyard once.