Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting a Kustom a solid non metallic / non pearl . Thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by layedout49, Aug 5, 2015.

1. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I do indeed stand corrected. They all, without a doubt, have forgotten more than I will ever know and had soul coming out of their pores. I was actually more referring to a lot of the boring cookie cutter type builds that rely on flashy paint to make them 'look cool'. That is where my 'new car' comment came from.
    I actually have nothing against flashy paint, it looks really good on some things, like the cars you mentioned. You could paint those cars any color at all and they would be just as cool. I just feel that a car should be able to stand on it's own and not need paint to make it stand out.

CadMad and Special Ed like this.
  2. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I am from the henry ford camp that any color is cool as long as its black! But I have to admit that when it comes to 40;s and early 50's traditional customs, the deep maroons , dark blues and greens are fantastic, especially on the sedan style bodies where chrome is minimal, once you start talking hardtops and converts of the mid fifties then I like the pastels like turqoius , coral, and ivory two tone combinations, But black is still black lol and besides my body work is not finished if I can't paint it black if I want and as far as I concern no color looks good over half ass body work!! Larry

3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Custom can absolutely be stunning as a solid color, hot rods need to be solid color or can easily become a street rod!

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Funny story about that. The owner had Joe Bailon build a cool custom car out of his 58 Chev. He thought he was sure to win a trophy at the first car show but he didn't . He got beat out by another car. When he asked the judges why, they told them the other car scored more points because they counted the number of modifications, and it had more than his.

In other words taste, appearance, style, none of these things mattered just the number of modifications.

So he took the car back to Bailon and had him pile on the mods, going for quantity not quality. Bailon added a scoop wherever he could find a spot for one, which is how it got the name "Scoopy".

I don't think it was considered a great looking car at the time, I remember seeing it in magazines and thinking it was lame and overdone. But, next year it won a trophy.

5. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I liked the days when a new paint job wasn't such a major investment. If I got sick of a color or style I just sanded it down and painted it over.

Mark Hinds, Merge and CadMad like this.
  6. layedout49

layedout49

I'd say it's harder for me to imagined having to blow the car apart . Cost for me doesn't matter cause it's what I do for a living

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. layedout49

layedout49

I totally agree with you .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. layedout49

layedout49

Talk about pearl/ metallic ... We just finished this one at work for pebble a few months ago ... 65 Ferrari 275
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446725456.980346.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446725533.220513.jpg

theHIGHLANDER and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. I like the clean look of just plain COLOR. white firewalls,3.70 3rd member 023.JPG

Merge likes this.
  10. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I really like the gray that Mercedes is painted ,one of my favorite colors.I am also fond of hunter green.I reckon that means I like dark,solid colors. Now that I think on it I have actually finish painted a total of two of my cars ever and both of them were gray.

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Once outdoors you'll enjoy the "dance" of the color as you walk around it. A great body shape that sort of drives home my opinion of it's use. Nice work...

12. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

my old chevy images (2).jpg

Merge likes this.
  13. Yep the points system led to excess and excess is what killed customs in my opinion.

ynottayblock likes this.
  14. Hellfish

Hellfish

This is my wife's old '51 Bel Air (circa 2007). It has a non-metallic body with a metallic roof (late model factory color with hints of pearl)

[​IMG]

Surfcityrocker and Martin Harris like this.
  15. layedout49

layedout49

Yup. Mines gonna be pretty modified , chopped , shaved , different headlights , different tail lights, different Grill , diff rear bumper , lol list goes on

16. Quintin

Quintin

I like pearls and metallics but have painted soooooo many cars fancy colors that I'm more drawn to solids like yourself. This is my 46 photoshopped to the color I'm 98% going with.

Attached Files:

17. sololobo

sololobo

Solid colors rule, non metallic are best for clean look, easy care, touch up, and just less is more theme. I love subtle tans, creams, and clean look types. Dark colors are harder to keep clean and match even in non-metallic. Good luck with the project, just some thoughts from al ol body and paint guy.

18. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

I like restrorods thus I would all ways take a long look at the stock color chart first.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

20. Merge

Merge

Your old car is to thank for mine staying with its two tone scheme once the chop's complete. Studied quite a few pics of your old ride.

Attached Files:

21. layedout49

layedout49

That's killer !!!

Quintin likes this.
  22. Fender1325

Fender1325

Theres something about an old, worn in paint job. Im guessing theyre lacquer or enamel. They're almost a semigloss or matte at this point, and they have such a presence and wow factor in person IMO.

I guess I like 'em just a littler rougher or broken in. You watch at most car shows, a lot of people walk right past the laser straight super gloss paint job and are attracted to the lesser sheen, old paint. Its just more alive.

Theres a paint style that works for every car. I hate how much orange peel I see on new expensive cars, but thats a different story.

OP, solid plain colors are beautiful.

Merge likes this.

23. All depends what car it's going on and what time peri or you're aiming for.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php?threads/My '47 3W Dodge build..960954/
    My build.

24. layedout49

layedout49

Man , still debating . It's hard to choose , eh it's just paint . It can always be changed . I might have a better choice once the cars chopped

25. DRD57

DRD57

We did this one a few years ago in a fleet color. 089.JPG

26. coffman

coffman

40's Chrysler Marine Blue IMG_2948.JPG

504640 and Squablow like this.
  27. layedout49

layedout49

Oh ya wow , came out real nice.

28. Non-metallic
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447105988.876568.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447106020.773850.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447106057.725652.jpg

Squablow likes this.
  29. LBCD

LBCD

Started with Mayfair maroon and deviated it a bit.

Attached Files: