Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford Pulley and Brackets driving me nuts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ctfortner, Aug 7, 2015.

1. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

I have a 302 (1991 block). I decided I would just bite the bullet and get a cvf racing or march pulley and bracket system and be done with it, but the price is killing me. Do i really need to spend $1000 or more to do this?

I have the long water pump, reverse rotation, serpentine. I need to run alt, p/s, and a/c

So i have a 3G alternator, Sanden SD709 compressor (same mounting as the sanden 508 I believe).

Now for the p/s that is a bit tricky. I am running the Borgeson p/s box, so I need a pump that can provide 1200 psi, and that is a saginaw pump. The ford pump will not work. Is there a donor vehicle out there that I could use all the brackets and make this work without buying a high $$ front drive kit?

2. I tossed all the serpentine junk and bought the March pulleys after fighting with all the wrong Ford pulleys.

They are a little pricy but they do the job. HRP

3. noddaz

noddaz

I would start with Borgeson to see what they recommend. If that does not work, can the Ford pump be modified to produce the required pressure?

4. krusin

krusin
    from ga

I used concept one kit still high dollar but you get everything and it works

5. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

krusin, I looked at theirs and its really nice but man, its about $2000 for everything.

Borgeson requires 1200 psi and from what I have read the ford pumps are about 800 or so. Borgeson sells their own bracket and pump (saginaw) but its expensive and also a v-belt pulley and may not line up with the other stuff I have.

6. aaggie

aaggie

I'm building an O/T AMC Spirit and it had a Saginaw PS pump and serpentine drive. I bought a new GM pump with bolt on v-belt pulley and replaced the outlet fitting for the pressure hose with the metric fitting on the AMC pump so the hose would connect to the steering box. I bought the pump bracket from Alan Grove for the Chevy long pump and it works like a charm. Less than $100 investment.
    I'm not a Ford fan as such and every time I got involved with helping somebody build a 302 it becomes a hunt for nonexistent parts.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Fords are fun when it comes to this stuff, aren't they ?? :rolleyes: I blew up (literally) two Ford Racing water pumps on my 331 Ford because I was using March pulleys that spun the water pump at a bazilllion rpms. I finally found these people and they had the right pulleys which have been on my car for 5 years now with no problems:

http://runne-rite.com/

Nice people, and they know Fords. Give them a call.

Don

8. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Never heard of them Don, I will check them out thanks. Mine is actually a 347 so I want something that will handle some abuse ;)

9. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Saginaw pump to SBF is a very popular swap on Early Broncos.An EB specialty shop like Wild Horses or Tom's Bronco parts may be able to help you out with some brackets.

10. What color was the car the 1991 block came from ? Damn fords :)

11. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

It was 2 toned, that's why its so difficult to find the right brackets ;)

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  12. Maybe repainting the block will make it easier to find the right pulleys.;)

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  13. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

I have a headache from trying to figure this out. The bronco guys seems to favor the explorer 5.0 setup and the issue with that (for me) is that it uses the short water pump which also has no provision for mechanical fuel pump. So for me to do that swap I would have to switch to an electric fuel pump, change timing covers and water pumps, then graveyard hunt for exploder parts. It may be cheaper to put a 383 in there dam thing

14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The stock stuff won't look as pretty but 1980-84 Full size Ford and Mercury and also the donor engine in my '54 a 1984 Lincoln MK VII have the thicker timing cover like yours and are serpentine belt,what is different is they are NOT reverse flow water pumps. Too bad I canned that stuff when I went to V-Belt.

15. butch27

butch27

I bought mine for my 302" from Ford. But mine is a one sheave and normal rotation.

16. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have this setup in my 53F100, it came on the donor 302 from an 84 Ford LTD. I hope to use one on the 302 I will use in my 55 Sunliner. Not sure how I will address the Borgenson psi requirement.

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Henry Ford started the standardized parts to make the assembly line possible but he died, and I don't think Ford has made any 2 parts the same since.