Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Can you ID this pinstriper?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southerncad, Aug 6, 2015.

1. southerncad

southerncad

Von.jpg I took this pic about 1991 at a KKOA event, my buddy thinks it's Von Dutch, I don't agree, so is it him or somebody else...let's get this right, since it's for a six pack.:D

2. Doc from "Back to the Future?

millersgarage likes this.
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That's not Dutch... that's the Mad Hatter.

4. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Christopher Lloyd all day long...

5. Yeah,that's Marc Fenyo, he lived in Georgia and I sold him a lot of One Shot sign paint over the years.

Marc was a amazingly talented man,he passed away several years ago. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, what an incredible talent. Backhanded arcs done effortless.

7. Drive'em

Drive'em

WOW, just WOW!! What an incredible talent. Sure would like him to do my next pinstriping.

tombstone likes this.
  8. I believe Mark passed away awhile back.

9. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I met him once while we were both striping at a MC rally , interesting guy . He would walk around pulling a wagon with his striping kit and paint . It was sad to hear of his passing .

10. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Two things about that video - striping vertical and keeping the brush flowing, and second is striping on glass!! Just try striping on glass - it's the best way to learn how to stripe because it's so hard. But to stripe on glass vertical wow amazing!

11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Sorry I never got to meet him!

12. Marc striped several cars for me and a few friends in the parking lot when I had my business in downtown Anderson.

He striped the flames on my old '65 Ford pickup and it was amazing watching him knock it out in less than 15 minutes.

Marc was also got me signed up as a dealer with the Wax Shop when they were in business. HRP

13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Not to hijack a thread but what does a stripe job run dollar wise? My sedan is painted and waiting for a cut and buff and then I want to do an original stripe(stripes) down the belt line.

14. Stripping cost is pinhead dependent. it would certainly cost you more for Bob Bond to stripe your car then it would for me to stripe your car.

I don't know what sedan you own that is ready for "original" stripes but if it is a simple line down the beltline that shouldn't be two expensive unless it is a pebble beach car and has to match the original perfect.

OK to get this back on track it occurs to me that Mr Howard had some ink on his hands. So while we have already identified the man in question that would have been the first clue that it was not him.

15. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

I just had this really cool old school guy named Calico come to my garage (hour and a half drive each way) to stripe my T bucket. Pulled a double stripe around the whole car, added many flourishes throughout, and hand painted the F-O-R-D script on the tailgate, all for 500 bucks. He told me he was giving me a deal, normally a job like this would run around 800. Took him around 6 hours.
    Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 10.02.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 10.02.23 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 10.01.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 9.59.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 10.00.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 9.46.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 9.46.30 AM.png

16. southerncad

southerncad

Thanks for the info guys, sad to hear of his passing, he was a true artist.
    Now I get to go enjoy the fruits of my victory....a cold brewski!

17. Think of us when you are consuming in the sweet nectar of the gods. :D HRP

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

damn! $500 bucks to do that T? I should have been a pinstriper.

19. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i knew him as top hat he did my nova about 20 yrs ago

20. Few people knew Marc by his given name he was often referred to as: 'The Top hat,' 'The Pinstriping Wizard,' 'The Mad Hatter,' 'Swordsman,' 'The Mad Striper,' and many others. He was a true master at the art of free-hand pinstriping.

He was extremely well know and it wasn't uncommon to see him and his little paint encrusted wagon with all his supply's piled up,,,he wore a white shop coat and his ever present top hat.

He passed away May 1,2006

21. DAM! HRP that is wild...Thanks for posting it for us to watch. I was glued to watching all his moves as it was like unreal his skills. Sure wish I could have met him and seen him do some lines in person.

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

$500 to stripe that T seems pretty high to me. How long did it take him?

23. Sage

Sage

joeyesmen said in post #16 that it took about 6 hours.
    So I'm guessing...about 6 hours.

24. REBEL

REBEL

May I suggest guys that you’re not paying for the time he has spent on your car striping?

But you are paying for the talent that he performs for you.

The years and years of practice the perseverance to be able to do something most can’t

Like a Doctor, years and years learning perfecting the skill then to get all that time paid back.

1934coupe and Zerk like this.
  25. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

WOW
    What an artist

26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Some people just don't it.

Pat

27. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

HRP, you seem to have a wealth of knowledge. Thanks.

28. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow. Marc Fenyo rules. "Show and go!"

A lot of kooks today have the "show" down but come up short in the "go" department. My stuff stays packed away specifically because I don't feel like I can give the time to do the craft justice.