Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting a Kustom a solid non metallic / non pearl . Thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by layedout49, Aug 5, 2015.

1. layedout49

layedout49

I've been working around a lot of solid color cars lately and it's got me thinking what people would think . I almost feel like those flashy kandy colors are only cool until the next one hits the show scene. Perfect example ...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438836427.146425.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438836460.379063.jpg
    What's your guys thoughts ?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kidcampbell71 and Dave Mc like this.
  2. Diavolo

Diavolo

Ford Washington Blue. Wilmington white highlights.

Mark Hinds and ratty_aussie like this.
  3. layedout49

layedout49

Some more from work ... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438836836.145686.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438836926.929265.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438836971.329326.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I really like early vw/Porsche colors especially for early customs. I go back and forth also on how I want to paint mine when the time comes. All
    It takes is a great example of one or the other to sway my opinion. Picking a color
    Has to be one of
    The hardest parts of a build. At least for me.

layedout49 likes this.

5. layedout49

layedout49

Totally agree. I'm getting to the point where I'm gonna be painting stuff that really matters since my build is from the ground up. I think these solid colors keep any car timeless through out the years.

hacknwhack likes this.
  6. cretin

cretin

Nothing wrong with a solid paint job on a Custom. I actually prefer it. I provides a classy and timeless look. If you build a beautiful car, you don't need a flashy paint job for it to stand out.

123, loudbang, CadMad and 1 other person like this.
  7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

True, all, but a classic Candy Apple Red paint job on a chopped Merc, is also timeless!

8. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

you can't go wrong with black

Dave Mc likes this.
  9. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Black can be nice, but it hides shapes too easily.

10. Torchie

Torchie

I'm going with 36 Ford washington blue on my custom truck. Interior will most likely have some Ivory in it as well.
    Torchie

Attached Files:

11. Squablow

Squablow

I like solid paint colors, especially for an early build period. Sure there were some metallics and whatnot available in the early to mid 50's but they wouldn't be commonplace for a few more years, and only if you could afford it.

What is your build period, and what car? Wouldn't look right on a canted quad 60's show custom, but on a smooth, mild custom early 50's period build, it'd be very correct and very good looking.

brad2v likes this.
  12. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Single Stage Urethane Enamel is always my preference , Pearls and metallic with clearcoat not so much ,

13. Those are the best kind of customs! I think the pearls, metallics, flames, etc. takes away from the custom body mods. I think just a "regular" paint job always makes them look timeless and classy:cool:

layedout49 and brad2v like this.
  14. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

those photos are not perfect examples because only the Chevy is a 'K'ustom. As far as paint choice goes, you should consider the year of the car and the era or style you are striving for. Example, a mild custom 40 Chevy coupe would look best with a dark solid or poly color paint. A custom or even stock 55 Chevy would look good with a poly or a pearl with a heavy metallic roof.

15. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Really cool cars look best with solid color paint. It's simple and understated enough to let the car be the focal point. Metallics and pearls drowned in gallons of clear are best left for the cars that have no soul. Cars that need something else to make you want to look at them. You know....new cars....

16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

17. Any thing cool is only cool until the next cool thing comes along. or the second time when it comes back around and is cool again.

I wrote an article on a custom called "Scoopy" a few years back. It was a show winner/stopper when it was first built. Candy red scoops on every panel, about everything that one could want. Today we would consider it pretty lame and I just about imagine that it was not considered cool for very long even back then.

point is if you want to build a car that is remembered and no one is ever going to scoff at it you need to do something that makes a timeless custom every time keep it simple. Paint can be a candy a flake or a candy flake or a solid or a metallic hell even a pastel. keep it simple and keep it timeless and it will be around for a long time and people will be noticing it for a long time.

rt1976, Mark Hinds and brad2v like this.
  18. KCsledz

KCsledz

I guess it all depends on what you are into. The artist in me needs to feel the car as an aesthetic package, not just for its custom touches or body lines. Some solid color customs really speak to me just the same as some with heavy flaked roofs. Some customs people drool over at a show I find ruined because of a modified body line or poorly frenched taillight at that point who cares what the paint looks like.

19. CadMad

CadMad

Customs are a bit like women. It's great to see them all dolled up. . . but it can be a bit of a shock when the goop comes off. I prefer the pretty girl with minimum makeup to the dippedintreacklespecial.

cretin and Pinstriper40 like this.
  20. SpikesCaddy1.jpg SpikesCaddy2.jpg SpikesCaddy3.jpg Nothing prettier than McMurtrie Maroon on a custom sloper Cadillac.

21. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438899072.188165.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438899085.938346.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438899104.663169.jpg

Here is my 50 Dodge it's done in a solid color. I like the way she looks.

22. Special Ed

Special Ed

Neil Emory, Sam Barris, Larry Watson, and Ed Roth were arguably some of the best customizers that ever lived, and ALL of them squirted their creations with some of the wildest, craziest candies, pearls, and metallics. Maybe things were a bit different in Wisconsin, but I think those fellow's cars that I mentioned were never lacking in "soul".

CHOPMERC, KCsledz and Squablow like this.
  23. layedout49

layedout49

24. I prefer solid colors. Gives a much cleaner look than metallic. Hobby air, interiors+ 025.JPG \'36 all done 008.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

26. layedout49

layedout49

They're perfect examples of the colors I'm trying to describe . I'm going for a heavily customized 51 Chevy 2 dr sedan.

27. layedout49

layedout49

I'm going for a heavily modified 51 Chevy 2dr sedan more along the lines of this ... But different everything pretty much haha ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438921133.607207.jpg
    Different tail lights , different bumpers , dash swap , buick or pontiac chrome , changing front wheel opening ... And so on

28. Man Busters car sure looks like it had the commonly used gold powder in the paint in pictures like these courtesy of Rik Hoving:

LittonFrontRH00-vi.jpg

naramicFordCraigWiseCollection-vi.jpg

29. layedout49

layedout49

Thanks for the input everyone. I like pearls and kandies . There's a handful of pearl/kandy colors I'd shoot my car but I'm trying to go against the grain with the exterior and interior color just to be different . I was thinking of a dark gray with red interior and ivory steering wheel and dash knobs and accessories . More of an elegant look instead of kandy red exterior with a pearl white interior . Am I crazy for thinking this up ?

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 1st thing anyone sees of ANY car is the color. Black only works if everything is just right. Perfect black on a pre-war Continental almost makes body lines that aren't visible in other colors. Dark colors give the illusion of size whether it be big or small, short or tall. Metallics and pearls highlight body shapes and it's more effective and appealing in darker shades because the material looks like it "lights up" on select areas and shapes. As to fads and gimmicks, let's all remember those flip flop colors. What a horrible thing as an overall finish, huh? Makes the car/truck look like a sun faded mistake. I've always been of the opinion that heavy flake is for helmets, bass boats and dune buggies. A common mistake is too much of any custom application. I've seen pearl jobs that simply will not "shine" (more correct description, reflect) because there's too much pearl. It's always difficult to try and break new ground in color selection. Were I doing a custom with extensive body mods, subtle or extreme, I'd want a soft pearl to highlight my work. If not a pearl then a very fine metallic, and a dark color so the additives can do their job, light up the surfaces as expected. Some things are used more often by more builders/finishers because they simply work. It's not like a custom finish being as common as a small block Chevy, but they're used for the same reason. They work. I think those off shade euro colors are getting too much use lately. It's not like every example built was painted some washed out earth tone. It's also showing up on cars that it never was applied to. In my not so humble opinion based on over 40yrs in the game, big mistake.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015