Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 Chevy 210 Hardtop Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smoothy, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Smoothy

Smoothy

Well yesterday I brought home the newest edition to the family. A 1956 Chevy 210 Hardtop, not the Belair. These cars are quite a bit more rare compared to the the Belair Hardtops. 18,xxx 210 hardtops compared to the 128,xxx Belair hardtops. I have yet to see another one in person, or one built into a gasser on the Internet. I don't have a total history on the car, however I do know it spent some time as a show car. It had a ton of extra chrome such as the backing plates, radiator support, the hood latch, and etc., driveline was painted blue as well as the gas tank. This leads me to believe this is why the car is as solid as a rock. My intentions with the car are to make it as period correct for 1960's drag racing as I possibly can while maintaining the streetability. At the moment the car has a stock 350 with a 3 speed manual and stock 56 chevy rearend. It runs and drives but has some issues that could be worked out. All of that will change soon anyways. It's sitting on usa aluminum slot mags front and rear with N50s on the rear. The rear quarters have been radiused and flared, but not overdone. The car is in primer at the moment so it gives it a little bit of a two lane blacktop vibe. Anyways I'll keep updating this as changes are made, however that may not be too frequently as I'm still only 18 and with college coming, cash and time will be tight, but things will be done the right way. I'll post the few pictures I have at the moment and try and take some more to post tomorrow. 20150801_205307.jpg IMG_20150804_015430.jpg Hope to hear what you all have to say!

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

Just make sure you do it the right way .... not a mixed bag of era's and parts.

Check out Quain Stott's Gasser Group to see them done right: http://www.southeastgassers.com/

3. Smoothy

Smoothy

It will be done based on the rules of the Southeast gassers, however the car will probably get a straight axle later on in its life.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I am a huge fan of the 56 Chevrolet; I'm on my TENTH currently, a Sedan Delivery (I've had four Deliveries). It will most likely be my last, as all things do come to an end. There is a 210 Hard Top that races in a Pro or Pro Mod Class, that's blue and white. I don't know the guys name, or where he's from; maybe an internet search? Your car looks good, from what can be seen, but those rear wheel wells have to go. Sorry, but there is nothing better looking than the 56 rear wheel well arches, IMO. I'm trying to visualise how it would look with the side trim in place. RARE car! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.
    Just looked at YouTube.Com for "56 Chevrolet 210 Hard Top", there are a lot of them, but not the one I was referring to.

loudbang likes this.

5. 56 was the prettiest of the tri-fives

Good score.

2016 Meltdown bound?

j3harleys likes this.
  6. I've always been partial to the - models. 56 is the best IMO. Enjoy the ride.

j3harleys likes this.
  7. Smoothy

Smoothy

Yes Mark, I'm hoping to have this thing ready for the 2016 meltdowns, even if I don't come up with a super radical setup I'll probably bring it up. Butch, I agree the 56 wheel arches are pretty, but I honestly think I'm going to let the radiuses stay just because that's the way they would have done it back in the day.

8. Smoothy

Smoothy

IMG_0907.JPG IMG_0908.JPG IMG_0909.JPG IMG_0910.JPG IMG_0911.JPG IMG_0912.JPG

Here are the pictures like I said I'd put up last night. It needs just a little bit of work everywhere, but its a good start for a project. A lot less work than what people who start off with a half a car do.

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

lose the steering wheel. Nice

10. Smoothy

Smoothy

The steering wheel was going to be the first thing to go. I plan on getting one of those metal flake wheels eventually.

yruhot, powrshftr and AHotRod like this.
  11. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

that's the way to go

12. Smoothy

Smoothy

Decided to throw the wheel that came in my dad's 57 when he bought it back in '86 for now. It looks more old school, and is a lot less sticky haha! 20150805_171140.jpg

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

better, much better

14. Butch M

Butch M

wow can't wait to see this one done I have a 210 hard top it is not Hamb friendly. a straight axel 210 hardtop is going to be way cool I have a lot of fun with my gasser style 210 sedan good luck .......

Smoothy likes this.
  15. You have a great starting point there for a BAD ASS GASSER! Nice looking car, looks pretty solid.

Smoothy likes this.
  16. Smoothy

Smoothy

It should turn out really well if I do it exactly the way Im planning to, and yes the car is super solid. Its going to make things a lot easier for sure.

17. Smoothy

Smoothy

Well after doing some research into paint jobs and such I may have found a style that I like quite well. I found it while looking through the book titled "Junior Stockers" which is full of tri fives, so it was a good place to start. Im thinking instead of where the yellow is at I will do Screenshot_2015-08-07-11-21-26.png Harley Davidson Hi-fi Blue, and where the red and blue are could be replaced with gold leaf and silver. Then up top on the roof could be metal flake blue. Just one problem, I have to think of a name to put on the side!

18. 2racer

2racer

search this forum, there is a are threads on jr stockers and several on car names

Smoothy likes this.
  19. 56 smokers-1.jpg 343.jpg 1002029.jpg 2048498384_52b9feaa70.jpg Blatt+Windman.jpg Child Restraint.jpg Herrera Bros 56 C Gasser.jpg Holy Shit.jpg Hot Rod Wall Paper.jpg Meltdown the tires.jpg The proper way to radius 56 & 57 Chevy rear wheel wells.

20. Smoothy

Smoothy

Yes I agree, that's the proper way to do the wheel wells on these cars. I plan on messing with the flares eventually, I'll probably try rolling them in more towards the front and rear as well as shave them down some. As for the paint like I mentioned previously, I have opted to go on a different path. A less psychedelic approach, and more like the style of the mid 60's. I created this myself by playing around on photoshop for most of the day, however I was influenced by a few other cars. However the car still remains nameless as I'm going to let the name come to me instead of going and searching for one. 1956 Chevy 210 Hardtop Gasser.jpg

21. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

If my eyes are not deceiving me that steering wheel your all laughing at is from a late 60s olds442 @ Hurst olds as well . If I am right you can buy all kinds of Metal flake steering wheels for what that is worth!!! This car has a lot of late sixties early seventies signatures to its build. And I have totally had it with what people on this site decide is a gasser and what is not a gasser!!!! Gasser was a slang term/ nickname for the gas sedan ,coupe and truck classes on the 50s and 60s. If you ran gasoline you where in a gas class. It never had any thing to do with a straight axle or not ! My two uncles both ran in gas classes in the mid 60s. one had a 55 Chevy /327 with 2 4,s and a 4 spd with a glass front end . the other a 62 Galaxie with a 406 tri power. They were both in Doug's garage one time and I remember one had e/g in the rear window and the other I believe was d/g and neither had a straight axle!! want to build a era correct gasser than get a copy of a rule book of the year or years your interested in and pick the class you want and follow it! but don't build a combination of classes because than you become Modified Elimanator or alter or worse yet STREET FREAK! And for everyone who thinks gassers all had 4sps , ever heard of a hydro stick. Sorry I blew up but I get tired of so called experts telling others what is right and what isn't . Want to build a 51 Chevy hardtop into a replica of Gene Schwartz's champion e/g car of 1964@65 then research that car and the rules that pertained to it then . Just don't build one like the modern day replica he built a few years back and races today! Era correct is Era correct! The rest is just having fun with cars. Larry: owner of the 51 Bad/ Ass Merc lol

Tman, yruhot, Doctorterry and 5 others like this.
  22. Smoothy

Smoothy

I never said I didn't like the steering wheel that was in the car, I just replaced it because it left a sticky residue on my hands after I had my hands on the wheel. Ill probably buy a metal flake wheel to match the roof when it gets flaked. I also actually intend to leave it without a straight axle for quite awhile as that will probably be one of the last things I get around to. Im not opposed to taking some ideas that people may have given me, but I'm not going to be told how to build it. It's my project after all.

Doctorterry and kiwijeff like this.
  23. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Smoothy : Sorry if I came across rude in my Ist post. I was actually trying to be a little protective because I have seen a lot of nice projects get posted and then have the guy get bombard by all the so called know it all,s bashing the guys car because it does not follow someone else,s idea. And the guy just stops posting. So do not take what ever anyone says to heart {includeig me ] build it to your vision and enjoy. And as far as the steering wheel is concerned I just wanted you to know in case you did not that if it is a real 442 wheel it has serious value which means more money for more parts!!! Larry

24. Smoothy

Smoothy

I'm not offended at all! I understand what you mean completely. As for the wheel I am unsure if it's from a 442. It seems like it would be more of an aftermarket wheel from what I have seen on the Internet.

25. Smoothy

Smoothy

Okay, so tonight I took the front bumper off the 56 and I can't seem to decide what to do next. I'm thinking about removing the lip that goes between the bumper and the grille and doing one of those tube bumpers. Anyone have any experience with those? Just wondering exactly what I should make it out of Screenshot_2015-08-11-20-49-06.png

brut4s and 55 Ford Gasser like this.
  26. Home Brew

Home Brew

Personal choice but I think all tri five Chevys look best with out the front bumper.

55 Ford Gasser and Smoothy like this.
  27. I like 56's without the front bumper, even better with out the lower splash pan! Without the splash pan, the front end reminds of a shark on the hunt.

28. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

This '56 ran E/G at Niagara Drag Strip back in the '60s. If memory serves correctly it ran a destrocked 265 and launched at around 9 grand.

Lee

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    kiwijeff and Smoothy like this.
  29. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Had to post my favorite pic.
    Not really the "all business" look of the previous posts but maybe it will offer some ideas or inspiration. Can wait to see your progress. Cesar
    [​IMG]

30. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I love that black 56, With out the bumper gives it that I mean business look . The spreader bar look kind of finishes off the gap between the rails but I would leave it frame color , maybe weld some tabs on it as tow bar hookups . When I was a kid growing up in the sixty's near Union Grove Dragaway tow bar hooks meant you were seirous on raceday lol Larry

yruhot and Doctorterry like this.