Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fireball 8, how much is too much...?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nieko-Von-Palamides, Jul 15, 2015.

1. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That's just teasing, more pictures!

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I "think" the last owner must have used detergent oil. Or the engine would look like the Creature From The Black Lagoon inside. Go ahead and use detergent, multigrade oil. There is not enough sludge in there to worry about.

3. bet it's just a blow up doll with shoes on.....he ain't got no girl.

stealthcruiser and volvobrynk like this.
  4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

WTF!
    Is she really hanging with you?
    Are you pulling my leg?

Are you John Holmes half brother, or plain old fashioned god damn lucky!

All in good fun, you are lucky, good looking girl and good looking car, living the dream.

Nieko-Von-Palamides likes this.
  5. LONG

LONG

straight 8.......it does not make power, but it will keep up with modern traffic. just rebuilt my 263. ignore the carb, too poor to buy one more appropriate.
    IMG_1610.JPG IMG_1641.JPG

6. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

There is the koolest intake on E-Bay right now for the Buick straight 8 that holds 6- 2 barrel carbs. Now if that wouldn't be a sight, even if you didn't use them all.

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The air cleaner needs 50 weight oil, fill to the mark. Light oil can slosh around and get into the engine.

You should wet the filter with oil before you install it, just dribble a little oil over it, the excess will drip into the reservoir.

The cleaner only needs to be serviced when the reservoir is more than half full of dirt. Then you can clean it out, swish the filter in cleaning solvent or Varsol and let it drip dry. Do not blow air into it, you can make channels that allow dirty air into your engine.

You should be able to go at least 10,000 miles unless you drive in very dusty conditions.

8. Coming from someone that's spent the last 24 years with a modified Ford flathead six.....keep the inline 8 and build it. You'll have a lot more fun.

9. I'm gonna play the devils advocate here,jerk that boat anchor out and stick a reliable V8 in it's place,are you a restoring the car or driving it on a regular basis?... HRP

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  10. Ratrod_Rhysie

Ratrod_Rhysie

Probably one of the most badass looking cars ive ever seen

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Fender1325

Fender1325

I have a 50 cad with the 160 hp 331 v8. Its tired as it is. Fine for around town but its not getting out of anybodies way quickly. Ive considered a newer chevy 350 and trans so I can cruise on the highway easily at 65/70. Right now its wound out by then.

My point is, if you're really going to keep this car and drive it very often, I think a different engine will suite you better. Id keep the original drive train still if you go to sell it though.

That being said, these are heavy ass cars. It will never perform. The frame and body arent even up to the task of high hp. Mine would rip apart.

12. LONG

LONG

it runs with your hand over the carb? your sucking air then. look for vac leaks

13. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Is this a two or 4 barrel carb? The primary jets usually are in the 55-60 number range, the secondary (4bbl carb) is around 75-80. If you rebuilt the carb, and you did not take out the jets, then the jets are not the issue. Check your power valve if it has one. You might have a richer valve than needed.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Fellas...
    Take it easy on this young man, he's Romeo Palamides' grandson.
    We should adopt him.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Right, Rich. The younger ones roll with 'no strings attached'!

16. looking

looking

17. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Thought the 2gc/2gv carbs had a power valve. That might be stuck or wrong.

Do you have the 2gc/2gv series carbs, or is it a Carter or Stromberg? Without knowing what carb to look at specs, there is little anyone can do.

18. Truckedup

Truckedup

You really think that's possible for a street engine?

19. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Looking at a vehicle from Mike's carbs, it seems there are two kits, one with 3 bolt flange gasket, the other with 4 bolt flange gasket. The other difference is the accelerator pump plunger diameter. One is 3/4", the other is smaller. Could you have put the smaller plunger in your carb by mistake? This would make the accelerator pump work incorrectly (poor pump action). I would verify that first.

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I thought we already did?

21. Had a straight 8 Buick once and tried to blow the motor up and could not do it. (What a Tank). Sorry, I was a crazy teenager.:p It is your car do what feels right and don't look back.:cool:

22. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

When you rebuilt the carb, did you compare the various gaskets with the old ones? My guess is that there are differences in the gaskets. Normally the gaskets and other items are compared to make sure no differences.

23. As already suggested, make sure the power valve or power piston are working properly. Make sure it has a good strong accelerator pump stream and that the pump inlet and outlet check valves are properly installed. Try reinstalling your original idle mixture screws. Check for vacuum leaks. Check for an excessively worn throttle shaft bore, though a little bit of slop should be OK.

If the carb has the original size jets they should be big enough to get a stock motor down the road alright. One thing you might experiment with would be try raising the float level an 1/16" or 1/8". That should richen it up just a tad.

24. Diavolo

Diavolo

Other than nostalgia, I would V8 it. A straight 8 with no goodies and looking at actual use of the vehicle, I would get what I can use. I didn't read the thread but that's my vote.

25. Jenz38

Jenz38

my 263 ...:D
    (sorry for the turned movie)

LONG and telekenfun like this.
  26. Jenz38

Jenz38

my hop uped 263 :D
    (sorry for turned movie)

LONG likes this.
  27. Jenz38

Jenz38

28. timelord

timelord

29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Rebuild and set all adjustments to factory spec? From Buick, Carter or Stromberg manual?