Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Curbspeed Coupe. "Holy Hell" 10/4/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, Dec 19, 2010.

1. pretty snazzy stuff pal ! like what I see ! keep up the good work....

2. You know I do it to impress you Throb. Ha!

3. How 'bout an update?

4. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Great to see a true hotrod come together. Individuality, doesn't get much better. You'll have all the catalogue builders stumped. I second Seadog's request.

5. I'm doing bodywork now. Boring stuff. Update soon. Patience. It's coming.

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'll be over in the corner waiting...as usual

kidcampbell71 and curbspeed like this.
  7. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've got some serious skills going on.Loving the details.Keep your eye on the prize...

curbspeed likes this.
  8. kisam

kisam

I just spent the morning going through your build. Amazing job!

curbspeed likes this.
  9. By the end of the day today I should have a painted finished dash picture to post.(First time I have ever painted anything) Assembling it today. I need some hardware.The color looks amazing. At least to me anyways. I realize this build is taking forever. Nobody wants it done more than me. Thanks for all the kind words.

10. Let's see this dash ! We are waiting

11. Clocks ticking

12. Assembly went slower than planned. Ran into some hardware problems.(missing shit) which is typical for me. Maybe tonight after work I can get it finished. Sorry gang. I did however assemble the underdash package tray . It shows the color at least. More to come. Much brighter looking in the light. Hard to tell how red it is in these pictures. It really pops though.
    Package tray 008.JPG Package tray 009.JPG Package tray 010.JPG

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  13. I had planned to post pictures of my finished dash. I was putting the last gauge in and it slipped off my lap onto the finished package tray that was under the card table I was working on and I damaged the paint. I'm a little bummed to say the least. Had to take it all apart. It needs repainted for sure. One step forward, two steps back. Damn! Just my luck. I'm too embarrassed to show it. Learning process. It did look pretty good up until that point. I think I'll watch some TV now.

14. I am really looking forward to seeing the dash, get back to work.

Outback likes this.
  15. Funny pal. I'm kinda pissed right now.. At myself for being so careless.

16. rustisgold

rustisgold

Where did you source the star/run/stop toggle switch? I really like that idea!

17. Ebay. I paid way too much for it too. I have never seen another one. It is a NOS S-W piece. Probably boat stuff. I figure it should work if wired up right. I will have a key for power and then use the switch to start it.. It is pretty cool huh?
    I had time this last weekend to repaint the dash. Hopefully if time allows I can get it all together again this week. Work has been keeping me whooped though.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  18. I second this ! lol

19. Since I had to repaint my dash two times.(I really suck at painting) I decided to build my Arrow 775-H headlights. I am also building a second set of Yankee Owlites so I have an option or two. Maybe a set of King Bees as well. Here are the Arrows all put together with a set of very rare Detectalite High Beam indicators with the Mobil Gas logo on them. I have had them for a long time saving them for this project. Glad to finally use them. The only other set of these Detectalites I have see are on Squeak Bells 29 Ford roadster. Dash pics will be forthcoming as I am waiting for the paint to cure a little more than the last time I tried to paint it. Well, at least this is something done. Arrow headlights 001.JPG Arrow headlights 002.JPG Arrow headlights 003.JPG Arrow Headlights2 002.JPG

mgtstumpy, falcongeorge and Hotrodmyk like this.
  20. Not good enough, we want to see the dash!

Outback likes this.
  21. I will start assembling it again tomorrow. I want to wait a day for the paint to cure some. Your first post of this build thread still haunts me Kev. Ha!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  22. 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 001.JPG 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 005.JPG 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 003.JPG 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 002.JPG 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 004.JPG 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 010.JPG 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 009.JPG 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 008.JPG 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 011.JPG 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 010.JPG 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 009.JPG 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 008.JPG 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 011.JPG Since I was slightly hounded by Kiwi Kev,(pal of mine) to get the damn dash done, I decided to not procrastinate any longer today and knock it out. The paint is not perfect. Still perfecting my technique. But I ain't skeered! This is a 1938 Ford Deluxe dash with a few modifications to fit into the coupe. All the gauges are winged early Stewart-Warner that came from the original restored Black Widow T roadster. At the time I bought them from the fellow that restored it he said they were too rough for his 100 point restoration. Fine with me. Some are a little rough. Some have dust inside of them. Fine. Bezel on one is kinda chingered up. Fine. I'll replace bezel later. Maybe. A fellow needs a few battle scars. The clock is refaced and updated with a new quartz movement(expensive but oh so impressive!) to match the other gauges. I love this clock. No one else has one. Got the lock to work by grinding the lip back on glove box edge. Worked out having to repaint it after all. The blackout lights for the gauges are WW2 tank or something. Sounds like a good story to me. I thought about chroming them but I figured they would look like every other dash light out there. Semi-Flat black seems to work for now. man you have to be so careful putting all this crap into the dash not to chip up anything. Talk about patience. One more piece to the puzzle done for now. last picture is the glovebox with an SCTA emblem and a Rusetta repo timing tag that I still need to get filled out. Not sure if I want to clutter up the glovebox with this stuff or put it up on the header panel above the windshield. Time will tell. 1949 Ford dash knobs as well and WW2 toggle switches where the radio used to be. 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 001.JPG 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 005.JPG 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 003.JPG 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 002.JPG 1938 Deluxe Ford Dash 004.JPG

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    mgtstumpy, Stogy, Drewfus and 2 others like this.
  23. Sorry. I doubled up the pictures. Too tired and lazy to fix it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    seatex likes this.
  24. seatex

seatex

Looks "pussy good", Dale!

curbspeed likes this.
  25. Color outside .... kaboom wow ! Dig it man !

curbspeed likes this.
  26. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Wicked

curbspeed likes this.
  27. Not bad.

curbspeed likes this.
  28. alchemy

alchemy

Your water temp and oil temp gauges must be broke. They read about 100 degrees and they aren't even hooked up.

I miss your Dad. He was always interested in talking about old SW's.

29. Thanks alchemy. It was 102 outside in the sun today so no wonder they were reading 100 degrees. Ha! It's summer everyday in Tucson. They have been reworked by Abbott instruments in Portland, Ore. That's is the outfit that my dad always had all his gauges reworked by. You like my SW clock? Ha! One of a kind.

30. yep, without wanting to sound like a freak, that clock is awesome.
    Keep chipping forward, looking ace.
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

curbspeed likes this.