Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tranny Fluid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe Romano, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Hi,
    I have a question for those who know,
    I have a TH 350 that leaked out through the speedo driven gear seal.
    Now to refill the trans. Do I idle the engine in park and start adding fluid a quart at a time??

2. I'm assuming you have corrected the leak problem. I'd put some in before I start it up. The convertor should be OK but still won't hurt to put some in first. They hold 11 quarts dry including the convertor. You may be needing 5 or 6 depending on how much it lost. Tim

3. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I was going to tell you to check the dipstick, but the last time I used tranny and dipstick in the same sentence I was damn near brought up on charges.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Andamo likes this.
  4. aaggie

aaggie

Add fluid until the dipstick shows some. Now start and let it idle in park until the trans warms up. Cycle the gears a few times to insure the fluid has completely circulated then check the dipstick with it at idle in Park and fill until the dipstick level is correct.

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not quite. You fill with the motor not running until you get somewhere near on the dipstick. Then with the motor running you run the shifter through all the gears a couple of times to fill everything up, then you get to check the level with the motor still running. I find to do it properly it takes a while on and off as this allows the fluid you've put in to drain down into the pan as otherwise you get misleading readings as the stick picks up fluid draining down the tube. Don't overfill under any circumstances - less really is more / better!

Chris

6. squirrel

squirrel

I would not add any until you start it and move the shifter thru the gears. Then with it still running, pull the dipstick, wipe it off, put it back in, pull it out, and see what it says. If there is nothing on it, except maybe a drop at the end, then add a quart, repeat, and see where you are. Once you get some showing, only add half a quart at a time, and then get it up to the "ADD" mark. Then take it for a long drive, get it warmed up, and check again, Make sure it's above "ADD", but it does not need to be all the way to "FULL".

luckythirteenagogo likes this.
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Always finicky. 'Check hot, idling, in park, standing on one foot'. I've had to drain off excess more than once. Why can't it just be like engine oil; stumble out in the morning and pull the dang stick out.

8. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Did you drain the pan?? if not it may not need any or much.

9. Yup! leak is fixed.
    Didn't drain the pan and there is some on the dipstick..
    I'll warm it up and add a 1/2 QT. at a time, run it through the gears then take it for a ride check it again while standing on one foot.
    I like the idea of wiping it off and sticking it back in..........

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  10. Glad it was that easy.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Do not fill it right up. As long as some shows on the dipstick you have enough. Check it again when it is good and hot, and add if necessary to fill to the line.

You would be surprised how much it expands when hot, fill to the line when cold and it will be way too high when you are driving down the road.