Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tin Snips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 528 Hemi, Jul 26, 2015.

1. 528 Hemi

528 Hemi

Question for the metal fab guys. What tin snips are you using?
    Need to buy some whats best?

2. indyjps

indyjps

Wiss, get all 3, left right straight. Clauss shears look interesting, but never used them. I need to get a large set (like scissors) any suggestions.

40fordtudor likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

I use the wiss left and right, then for straights I usually use some big non-compound snips.

4. Blue Coupe

Blue Coupe

I have two sets of Wiss that are used all the time, and a left & right set early Craftsman which have worked very well. my favorite and most used are the yellow Wiss straight cut.

5. patterg2003

patterg2003

Agreed. Buy a quality set such as Wiss left, right & straight set plus a large straight cut metal shears that Wiss lists as "Tinners". Cheap snips are a pain and relatively useless. I have cut miles of metal with the large straight shears and use the L,R & S for finer work. The large shears are easy on the hands & will cut some thick metal. I have a 50 year old pair that once belonged to my dad that are my first choice along with a more recent edition of Wiss large pattern shears.
    MP&C here referred to this on the Garage Journal & it is excellent. I have been cutting metal for decades for decades including a set of all aluminum airplane wings built from scratch. I learned more on using snips that has helped.

Glenn

cretin, bct and stillrunners like this.
  6. I have half a dozen of the compound cut snips. Wiss and Klein. Also a large pair of Malco shears. I would recommend nothing else. The old Craftsmans were, probably, rebranded Wiss snips. I'm sure the new ones are Chinese junk

7. 65COMET

65COMET

I was a tin knocker for 40 years,WISS or nothing!! You get what you pay for,ALWAYS buy new!! ROY.

patterg2003 likes this.
  8. 2racer

2racer

The World’s Best Snips
    Midwest Tool and Cutlery manufactures the highest quality snips hand tools on the market today.

metlmunchr likes this.
  9. 38mag

38mag

X2 on Midwest.

10. Gofannon

Gofannon

A left and right set of Gilbow's will leave all those "aviation" style snips for dust. They'll cut dead on accurate and straight, with minimal distortion. When I was doing aviation work, the aviation snips were a bit of a no no. The serrations on the blades would leave a serrated cut, not good on 2024 T3, so I don't know why they're even called "aviation snips". The Gilbows have to be the right style, not the flat bladed ones. I use both Gilbows and aviation style, for different things. http://www.automotive-toolzone.co.uk/hand-tools/pliers-grip-sets/gilbow-snips-2689.html

warbird1 and carolinakid like this.
  11. I have a full set of Craftsman snips...bought a pair of Wiss red handles that LOOK identical to the Crapsman but work 120% better. Now I need yellow handles and Green handles in Wiss brand

12. indyjps

indyjps

Don't use them to cut anything but sheetmetal, I've seen contractors grad snips to cut all kinds of junk then complain when they don't work on flashing.

Anyone use the offset Wiss snips, been eyeing them

Attached Files:

13. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

I`ve used Midwest snips for over 20 years now, and find they hold their edge longer and are nicer to use than Wiss snips. Dee Westcott actually sold me my first set in `94....

2racer likes this.
  14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I have a 3 piece set of Wiss that I've used for years at work. Nice snips. They started showing their age , so I snagged a set of Blue Point ones off the Snap-on dude. They're easily as nice as the Wiss ones were when new. I'd buy another set for sure.

15. Ihave a pair of old straight cut(dont know name) that were my Fathers back in the 1940s..and a pait of curved one like the straight...neither is like the Wiss..

16. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Midwest snips for sure, you can get em at Sears around $35 for a Red/Green combo.

The ones I am using right now are 6 years old, still going strong and I am not afraid to abuse them. I've notched .058 moly tubing with them and still had a good enough edge to work with sheet metal.

Used a pair of Yellows once about 20 years ago, tossed em in the corner and picked up my good reds.

17. 38mag

38mag

Cutting wire, a tinners sin!

18. what a nice little thread on a tool that's used often....

19. 41 C28

41 C28

I learned something. Thanks

20. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Any old English Metal Workers on here? I`ve never used Gilbows, but they seem to be really popular over there.......Straight Cut only though, I believe....

21. cretin

cretin

I've always used Wiss.
    Snap-On works well also, and are warrantied, if you've got access to a Snap-On guy.

22. Gofannon

Gofannon

If you use the style as per the link in my previous post they'll go around corners easy.

23. Midwest is my go to hand shear!

24. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

BTW, Snap-off/Bluepoint snips are relabeled Midwest snips at a significant markup.

25. stimpy

stimpy

Wiss , inherited them from my uncle who was a tin knocker , also have some large shear style ones from them too heavy and still cut a edge with ease they were made pre 1967 .

26. indyjps

indyjps

Thanks for the introduction to midwest snips. Good pricing, I may pick up a set and compare with the fairly new wiss I have. I'm definitely getting some tinner snips.

Attached Files:

27. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Thanks, Gofannon. Missed your Gilbow post. Since I have only automotive sheetmetal work to do, I use those Midwests, or cut shapes with my Bandsaw. I really would like a Beverly, but haven`t stepped up for one as yet. I`ve never worked with 2024 either. Just 5052 and 3003....

28. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That's good info. Thanks !

Didn't think mine were all that expensive , but then again I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, lol !!