Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. Palumbo's Shoebox project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buddy Palumbo, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I guess mine is CUSTOMprimer though , lol !! :)

Thanks a lot , Guys . It's going to be painted this fall (or so) , THAT will certainly be exciting !

I will definitely keep it in mind . Don't want to kill my cool lenses !

I went over to Craig's and helped put his shop back to "normal" and peel the tape off the car ... lookin' better every day ! Now I've GOT to get that blue crap off my tires ASAP !!!

[​IMG]

3. KustomCandy

KustomCandy
    from Australia

Nice progress.

Dan

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks Dan !

5. Looking good Allen! :)

6. I like the wheel color.:cool:

7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks guys. The wheel color is the same base color I painted under my flake on the dash and interior garnish mouldings. I figured it would be cool to pull some of the color from the inside to the outside , even if you just see a stripe peeking out around the hubcap.

8. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Went over last night and started reassembly - with a broken toe (don't friggin' ask ;) ) . That certainly slowed me down , but did manage to get the door latches and garnish mouldings back together , as well as the grille assembly back in the car . I've gotta say, the grilles in these cars are a bitch to assemble - about 30 friggin' bolts and a certain order they have to be assembled in ... That was testing my patience ! Any progress is good though.

pat59 likes this.
  9. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

looking real good! Nice work.

10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks . Once it has a coat of shiny paint on it, it should look pretty brill.

11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Small-ish update - brought the car home tonight ! It sure felt good to drive it down Craig's driveway , and I'm sure he's glad that sucker drove away as well , LOL !! We've been tinkering with it for a few years now at his shop . Damn , he's patient !! I still have to install the side trim , hubcaps , skirts and replace all the steering gear with the new stuff I got from Shoebox-Central . It's a bit of a wandering fool , but at least I can take it for a spin around the block till it's fixed . My little girl wanted to go for a ride sooooo bad , so of course , daddy obliged her :) ! She made up an excuse - she wanted to go to the school and ride her scooter .

[​IMG]

It even looks good just sitting in the lot :

[​IMG]

It sure looks good at home ... it's been a while since a hotrod sat in there .

[​IMG]

12. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks Devin.

I got to fulfill a promise today. There's an old guy who lives a couple houses away from me. For the last 5 years, he's asked me how the car was coming, getting excited to see it come home. I kept telling him he'd get a ride when it does. He's been feeling bad as of late, so a few months ago, he went to the doctor to see why . As it turns out, he's pretty bad with cancer - 6 months or so to go :( . He kept telling me that he hopes to live long enough to go for a drive. I promised him he'd be my first friend to go for a ride. Today I kept my promise. He was so excited. He kept saying how beautiful it was, and how nice it rides ... It really made his day. I was so glad to see him happy, I forgot to take his picture in the car. I'll get that pic in the next few days. Over the last year, I've watched him turn into a feeble old man, but in his mind, he could've climbed Everest when he sat on that seat !It was a good day for the both of us.

Stogy, Fedman, daddio211 and 2 others like this.
  14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I took this pic the other night, thought it was cool.

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  15. Yea, I like it, kinda looks like It's--------- "Lying in wait"

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Yea , you're right ... And it is (thank goodness :) ).

I drove the car a bit this weekend. Took it on errands , went to see some local friends , and went to the bookstore at the mall - about 75 miles , I'd say. Ran great. It surely needs taller gears though, it's a screamer with the automatic and the stock rear. That will NEVER do for my route 66 trip ! Luckily I have a Maverick rear waiting to go in , once I get new wheel cylinders , seals and stuff.
    I talked to quite a few people while out and about (much to my wife's dismay) , but I like that stuff. If I wanted a " vanilla" car , I'd have one ;) .

17. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I went from the stock rear end with 302/c4 and it was a screamer too. Once I did the maverick rear end swap (2.79) it made it drive like a different car and way more enjoyable. You can hit up pick a parts and get the rear disc brake set up for a crown Vic and swap to disc of you want.

18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Did you relocate the spring perches on the maverick rear , or just stretch the springs apart to fit the rear on the car ? I've heard quite a few people say it's possible to just spread them, but I'm a bit leery about doing that, especially since I have updated bushings in my rear springs.

19. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I have Jamco lowering springs in the rear that the person gave me with the car and 2' lowering blocks. I had 4" blocks but with a full tank of 22 gallons in the mustang tank it bumped a little hard for my tastes and I had to raise the car 2" to have it shipped from LA to north Jersey when we moved. Also the speed humps on my old street were hell. The perches aren't moved but I do plan to move them if I don't bag it. I did have to cut half the bump stops off. I debate notching it so I can lowering it more. I'll decide on things once I can work on cars again.

20. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I have 3" blocks on mine and I like the way it sits, but I may put 2" blocks in place when I switch to the maverick rear before the trip, figuring we'll have the car loaded pretty heavy. Might help in case we get a flat also ;) . I'm trying to figure out whether I want to even try to fit the maverick rear without moving the perches , or just cut them off and do it right away. Decisions , decisions

21. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I put over 87k miles on mine like it is.

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

HOLY CRAP !!! I guess it's good to go then , LOL !

23. Hey Allen,
    Are those swing out back windows standard equipment? I've never noticed them before.
    Pat

24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Yea , mine is a custom club coupe - they had them standard. The business coupe had fixed ones.
    I don't have air conditioning , so every bit helps !

25. Seems those maverick rear ends are getting a little harder to find.

26. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

They use to go for $75-125 now that people have caught on about them fitting shoeboxes so well the prices have went up to $300-500.

daddio211 likes this.
  27. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Business coupes no back seat but package tray and rarely had pop out windows. Club coupes had back seats and pop out windows. I have a business coupe that came with pop out windows and made a seat for it out of a 4 door's. I do have a set of non pop out ones I bought off evil bay. I too don't have AC and the rear pop outs help a lot plus kept the vents because air flow makes it not so.

28. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I've been driving mine to work the last few days , and damn it feels good !!! It also feels good that I've been getting loads of looks , thumbs-ups , camera snaps and even a "You did it right , brother !" today . It's been a while since I've had a "cool" daily driver .

Here a couple pics :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I thought this would make a cool picture

[​IMG]

Stogy, pat59 and captaintaytay like this.