Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage RWYB-Reynolds, GA Dec. 5, 2015

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty old man, May 11, 2015.

1. Hard to find decent "trad" :rolleyes: pics to depicting our rolling countdown. Hopefully this '67 Fairlane won't get me shunned ;)

[​IMG]

Kinda favors the '65, so I should be good.

Bobby are you about ready to school this ole purple Dodge?

2. Here is one, a bit more "trad" :cool:

[​IMG]

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I plan to install a roll control before RWYB so I can get a little more serious about it myself, and I learned a secret tuning trick I've already tried that really woke up BGII, yall might get a bit of a surprise!
    But, to be honest about it, until I can figger out how to put at least a 4 point roll bar and a 5 point harness in her, I ain't real interested in more than eighth mile runs, as BGII has the potential to be well past 100 in 1/8, and that's just about as fast as I care to run with no roll bar and only lap belts in an open roadster! Guess I'm getting some sense in my old age!

GAOldsman likes this.
  5. Yes sir that BGII is one quick roadster :cool:

Woogeroo likes this.
  6. captmullette

captmullette

(Guess I'm getting some sense in my old age! ) yea..........damnit......sent my new assault roller rockers back, didn't like the way the roller tip felt......now, what to get? any help guys have any of you used scorpion ? made in the U.S.A.

7. Sorry Bobby, I sure haven't used them before. Got anything against Comp Cams version? What cam & lifter brand are you using?

[​IMG]

8. captmullette

captmullette

my old reed cam, hyd. lifter of unknown origin... going to a 1.6 rocker to up the cam to a .536

GAOldsman likes this.
  9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Bobby, I'm using Comp Cams chrome moly roller rockers IIRC they call them Magnum rockers. But I drive BGII on the street as well as an occasional trip to the strip. Figgered the steel rockers would not beat out around the steel bearing races like aluminum ones from the longer periods of use and abuse on the street.
    I think aluminum roller rockers are fine for strip use if you get good ones from a company that makes them in USA, such as Comp Cams, Crane, or Scorpion.
    Watch your valve clearances to piston, coil bind on springs, clearance between top of valve guide and retainer, etc. with those high lift rockers!

GAOldsman likes this.
  10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Man! As hot as it's been the last few days, I'm sure glad it'll be Nov. when we have the event!
    Moved the '40 coupe to my son's garage today (his Mustang is in my shop) and put BGII in the shop so's I can install the roll control, or line lock, whichever you wanta call it.

12. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

Question. I've got a little T roadster I'm working on, would it need a full cage to run this November?

13. Depends on how fast you are. Tech is fairly lax, but if they feel you are too fast to go again without the proper equipment, they will shut you down. Not sure the requirement but I believe it is 10.99 ET or there abouts in the 1/4.

*Edit- Didn't see the roadster part, but I think 13.99 is when the cage is needed on an open car like a roadster or convertible. Dirty Old Man chooses to run only the 1/8th in his roadster BG II for that reason.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    01mikep likes this.
  14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My 31"A" roadster BGII is capable of 1/8 times in low 7s/high 6s, with speeds above 100 maybe a little faster now with some changes I've made. I don't run it the full 1/4 because I have no roll bar at all, and lap belts only. I mean what are you going to fasten a shoulder harness to on a roadster with no roll bar?
    Nobody told me to restrict it to the 1/8, and a couple times I did run on past the 1/8 mark, and when I was getting on past 100, lemme tell you, for once my old age wisdom got the best of my bravado! But nobody told me to shut off at 1/8, that was my decision.
    Ed Swearingen, track owner and promoter says it this way "If we feel like you're going too fast for your equipment, we'll ask you to improve your safety equipment or shut down at the 1/8. If you continue to run too fast, well, we'll talk to you a little more seriously."
    Does that answer your question?

GAOldsman and 01mikep like this.
  15. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

Thanks for the insight. I was there last fall and had a great time and looking forward to this years races.

GAOldsman likes this.
  16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Gonna slip up on us if we ain't careful!!!! Anybody hearing anything about the new track surface?

17. You got that right Dave and I have not been able to make it over to see how it's hooking. I'm sure Ed has it prepped properly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. [​IMG]

Seeing this pic doesn't make me feel so bad about IFS on my coupe now. But a straight axle would be much more kool

19. What kind of roll control did you get DOM ? The JEGs $39 one is a junker.

20. [​IMG]

:D :D :D

[​IMG]

Yes the days are clicking off fast. As you see here, day #105 is trying to hump day #98 :eek: :D

Dog_Patch and captmullette like this.
  21. [​IMG]

Reason why we host RWYB in November. This is the heat index this time of year :eek:

22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Bought a Hurst unit, hoping it would still be the best. And rebuild kits are also available for it.

GAOldsman likes this.
  23. That's why we stay north... oh, hang on, it was 101° at the Meltdown Drags last weekend. Stinkin'.

allwilly and GAOldsman like this.