Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Traditional '35 Ford Pickup Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alvisoroadsters, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Roger53

Roger53

Very nice do you have any frontal pictures? Roger

2. I just opened this post for the first time. I knew after reading the first two lines you were in trouble. I must say you got a very graceful Smack Down. Nothing is trad there except the Flat motor and cab. Comparing it to the Winfield shop truck was really out of the park.
    But I'm not going to knock what your doing, I say go for it. You already learned to be careful what you say. I am however very curious about your headers. Are they store bought or something you built? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that when you try to get it on the road and it's not happy, you might want to put them on the list of things to check into. It just seems reasonable that with Exhaust pressure going 2 directions in 1 pipe it just might cause you some issues. With everything new you may think you have ign. issues or fuel issues but I'd go strait to those headers. Just something to think about.
    The Wizzard

3. alvisoroadsters

alvisoroadsters
    from Cupertino

Yeah, it is what it is. I wanted to share my vision of what I'm building - but the importance is never negotiating what you want to do based on the opinions of others.

As for the headers, they were built from a Gear Drive kit. They're baffled, which I'm hoping will regulate exhaust pressure some, but that is a good point.

Price-wise, they were a good deal, but if problems arise there is no reason another a set can't make a better set.

4. alvisoroadsters

alvisoroadsters
    from Cupertino

Frame welded. On to floors and chop.

Attached Files:

5. Good to see ya back and still at it. You mentioned a bench seat that works whit a high tunnel. I would suggest looking at the back seat bottom cushion in the 63-64 T-Birds. Might give you some ideas. Clearly you'll end up modifying what ever you start with. I don't see why you couldn't start with one of those Mini Van seats and do a little work to it and get something that works.
    The Wizzard

6. alvisoroadsters

alvisoroadsters
    from Cupertino

@Pist-n-Broke Thanks! Haven't been on the HAMB lately, but have definitely been busy sourcing parts haha. I picked up a stock cushion spring and it may work. The tunnel will meet the bottom of the seat springs, but that's alright - no one would want to ride in the middle anyways!

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That tube frame rather blows "traditional" as a bobbed 35/36 truck in the 50's or early 60's would have had a modified original frame.
    One of the local "older guys" who ran one of the Shell stations in the town I live in for several years had a 36 pickup that was chopped, channeled and had the bed cut down. It also an a spring in front front suspension much like we see in a lot of East Coast rigs. I think I have the grill shell hanging in my shed after I picked it up a swap meet a number of years ago. Even though that one ran a Chevy when it ran It would fit right in the "traditional mold now.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I opened this thread hoping to see something like this, but knowing odds are I would see yet another Rudy...
    35_zps16bb9259.jpg
    Hope springs eternal...:(
    Wouldn't it be great if these guys could title these threads honestly? something like "hey dudes, check out out my totally sick "traditional":rolleyes: Rudy"?? Then we would know what to expect, it would save some of us a lot of disappointment...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    F&J likes this.
  9. falcongeorge; Sorry you feel that way. What happened to variety is the spice of life? I also have a 36 Ford Truck and it will be more like yours than alvisoroadsters, however as long as a build isn't plain Junk I can admire good craftsman ship. I can't stand belly button repeats. I was here when Old School and Traditional was just getting started and even then we had some Odd Ducks. I was one of them.
    The Wizzard

10. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I don`t even call my truck traditional around here. It has very little paint left and a Chevy engine...
    I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night though.

Attached Files:

• done.JPG
      done.JPG
      File size:
      328.6 KB
      Views:
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You cant stand "belly button repeats", but you cant understand why guys like me and x-38 and others would like guys to put "Rudy" in the title of their Rudy build threads?? REALLY??
    Frankly, I don't give a rats ass about whatever ANYONE chooses to build, Id just like to see a little honesty in thread titles, so I don't keep opening the 550th "rudy" thread on here in the last 6 months, hoping against hope that I am actually going to see a traditional fifties hot rod pick up build...

F&J likes this.
  12. I'm confused :confused:

I ain't going to bag on your truck no reason to do that. I don't understand how it can be more traditional then the earlier one's out there.

Have a good time with it I wish I was close enough to score the original frame from you I like old stuff.

13. Variety is the spice of life.... or blur the lines enough/say it enough times and bullshit becomes reality.

There are plenty of sites that have NO standards, NO Focus and will let most anyone "spout off about how it was"

Kill Billet, RoadKill, etc... maybe that's a better audience for the comparison to Winfield's shop truck.

I have an OT powered Jailbar pickup, the difference between me and the op is I call it what it is, I don't try and make it anymore or any less.

Muttley, F&J and falcongeorge like this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

Can someone explain "Rudy" ?

15. LOL I have a tendency to build things traditional-ish. Not too heavy on the ish, I sometimes don't have the patience for a total traditional build so I drop the ball.

I don't try and pass things off as what they could have been or what someone else did. My stuff is always more of a "hey Looky what I done" and if I am not too far off base it passes as OK-ish. :)

Was a fella on here named Rudy [he may still be around I dunno] that built a Bobber truck that was not a total abortion. Some of the fellas liked it and since then pretty near all round cab bobber trucks are called Rudy trucks on here.

16. Budget36

Budget36

Thanks, just searched and found pics.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

good point Benno. I aint bagging on the guys truck either, just bagging on the common practice of posting rudy threads under the "lookit my traditional hot rod pu" title. Its like those guys who advertise their slant six 4 dr '63 belvedere on craigslist with "max wedge" in the title.
    good point about the frame, I just got a screamin deal on a set of cherry t fenders and splash aprons thanks to one of those "traditional" hot rodders. He bought a cherry '27 tudor body off one of my buddies, and 'didn't need all that gay ol' man stuff" so I got it cheap.

18. Wouldn't that be a "max wedgie"?

Ads can be deceptive ( check PMs) we all need a little educating on occasion and sometimes it just doesn't stick, sometimes it does.

BradinNC likes this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Benno, that ad made my day! Wow, just wow. and here on the HAMB no less.

20. Keep going! Dont listen to the naysayers and build what you want. These trucks have potential ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437601798.678215.jpg

2racer likes this.
  21. alvisoroadsters

alvisoroadsters
    from Cupertino

@Mr48chev Yeah - The original frame was a spring ahead frame and just wasn't going to work. Made sure to keep it looking as close to a model A frame as I could, but it is definitely 2x3. You only end up seeing 2-3 feet of it anyhow.

Yeah, this is fun. I completely understand that there were very few high-boy '35 pickups back in the "traditional" age. I know this, but I am building a traditionally styled (period correct engine, paint, interior, wheels) 1935 Ford Truck. Rudy's truck and some of the others that followed definitely inspire the shape and form of the truck. The styling though will be traditional hot rod.

I've seen some good "Rudy's" and some bad "Rudy's" - stick with the build and you will see a traditionally styled, chopped, fenderless, flathead-equipped hot rod. Call it what you'd like :)

Thank you guys for the support so far - getting ready for floor/pedals/steering and chop.

2racer likes this.
  22. Deucefanny

Deucefanny
    from Australia

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437731403.189101.jpg
    This is my non traditional, traditional 37
    Rudy styled pickups or ok when done right, but can also look like a hat full of foreskins.

23. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Key word is "Traditional". I know the boys get a little fussy about traditional ,I like street rods, and I'm not well received. "Cars" can be anything, Except Rat Rod...

24. alvisoroadsters

alvisoroadsters
    from Cupertino

Yeah you said it. Nice truck man.

They look really cool when done correctly, but most the time they're done poorly.

25. alvisoroadsters

alvisoroadsters
    from Cupertino

Yeah exactly. There are some extremely sketchy cars out there, and I feel like rat rods take the prize.

There are so many shotty Rudy trucks out there with unsafe frames, screwy dimensions, and a big bug catcher scoop on their 4 bbl sbc. This is not one of em :D

26. We were not baggin on the build for the most part, just the description of the build

. I was looking @ a '35 that I planned to run fenderless for a while, the fenders were rough and going to take a lot of work. I didn't get the truck just because I didn't.

A 35 can run with its pant off if done right and can run with its pant on and be ugly as butt if done wrong. Hell you can fuck anything up if you try hard enough.

Anyway for the most part we think you should call a spade a spade. You can get away with a lot with the bulk of us if you are a straight shooter. ;)

27. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Love those 35's Here is one I worked on for a while.... 55 Plymouth Engine.

Check out my Blog on my Signature line for the rest.

[​IMG]

28. Trucker Jim

Trucker Jim

29. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Not sure if mine is concidered traditional but it has some Rudy influence to it ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462228517.567975.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462228534.207686.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462228559.318681.jpg

RustyBullet likes this.