Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Graffiti Coupe Pictures and Myths

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graffiti32, Jan 28, 2012.

1. XERB

XERB

Cool thread, I appreciate its been dormant since last year but always a good read....the movie had a profound impact on me...saw it as a little kid in 1974, been obsessed ever since! Was fortunate enough to visit Petaluma in 2006 and saw the real 32 for the first time, it's my profile photo which is in fact the first photo I ever took of it, believe me there were hundreds more! Met Rick Figari, the owner, one of the nicest guys on the planet! Was even allowed to sit in the 32 for a photo plus Rick let me ride in the 32 when he unloaded it from the trailer and parked it up for the photos...along with the bitchn' 55 he had Richard Ruth build...now that's one tough car (for a field car). Been along time since seeing the movie to seeing the real thing...being fortunate enough to park my ass in it and look through the chopped screen...well that was indeed a dream come true....

Attached Files:

2. snakebit7

snakebit7

Very cool!!! I would love to see the real car someday. Great pictures. I never get tired of looking at it. The movie had a profound affect on me as well. I have been in love with the car for a long time. I was 12 years old when it came out and was just really getting onto cars. We had a local drag strip in the area and I spent a lot of weekends there as a kid. So glad I could finally build one like it. Thanks for sharing!!!

XERB and 40fordtudor like this.
  3. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Several guys have said that rodding was all but dead when AG came out---I could not agree more. I had sold my 56 Nomad in 68/69 or so and kinda got over it. Then comes AG and I caught the bug real bad again. Here we are in 2015. Who knew??

50fish likes this.
  4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Heard that AG breathed new life into the old music as well.

5. Slopok

Slopok

The Pharaohs Merc rekindled my interest to some day own a Merc. Not a clone per say but I think I own an example of a car that would've been around in 62.

Graffiti32 likes this.
  6. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just my personal experience ; then girlfriend (38 years wife) and I went to see AG when it 1st came out ,driving the coupe seen here and rocking out to Sha na na...ah the good ol' days!!

XERB likes this.
  7. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

XERB likes this.
  8. snakebit7

snakebit7

Finally got the interior in!

Attached Files:

XERB, jeepster, AHotRod and 1 other person like this.
  9. George

George

At the time it was...why build a hot rod when you can buy a new Muscle Car from the OEMs?

I was 16 when it came out. Unaware of music that was out before the Beatles.

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Not to mention Ron H, Harrison F, Richard D went on to moderate :rolleyes: sucess as well as many others....

11. fras2

fras2

Might be stupid question but since all the graffiti fans are here.
    What is the purpose of the two plates on the tips of the fame horns?

12. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The tow bar attached to those plates.. I towed a number of my cars to the track that way back in the late sixties, early seventies.

13. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

14. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

Saw the movie when it first came out back in the day and yes, was dazzled by the blonde in the T-Bird. Fast-forward to June 1986 and I've just met my present wife. She has the identical car to the one in the movie. White '56 with the porthole windows, continental kit, the whole nine yards. We're off to a T-Bird club party and I'm driving it with her in the passenger seat and she's done up like a million bucks and looking drop dead gorgeous! And yes, she's a blonde! Dreams DO come true!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  15. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

16. m.ralph

m.ralph

DSCN1659.JPG DSCN1662.JPG Here's my 32 Ford 5 window after a 4.0 inch chop.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    XERB, biggeorge and snakebit7 like this.
  17. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Sorry I have not posting on here much.... "I've been busy" Ya for more that three weeks!?!?!
    Well I'm still doing it!! For Free!!! Today I have been talking about Bolanders Impala from American Graffiti. Stop by and get you Graffiti fix.
    http://jeffsallgraffitiallthetime.blogspot.com/

XERB likes this.
  18. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

19. verde742

verde742

as we say "pictures or it didn't happen"

clem likes this.
  20. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

I'm thinkin' we might be in that same part of that cycle RIGHT NOW!

tfeverfred likes this.
  21. murpa

murpa
    from .

I love it !!

22. 50fish

50fish

Can’t begin to measure the effect AG had on me as a kid. Today Milner hangs in my garage along with autographed photos from the rest of the gang. Thanks Lucas.

23. clem

clem

B7BF2926-6234-46F1-877E-226DECBAADE0.jpeg Like many others here, I saw the movie when I was 14.
    Wanted a 1932 five window coupe after that.
    Searched for 4 years and knowing nothing about cars, I bought the roughest one in the country.
    Only about 26 five windows in New Zealand at the time.
    Looks a little better now.
    Hope to have it finished one day.

Sorry it’s not yellow..........

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Actually, we have been for a while now. People post threads about the fate of our hobby, well, it's kinda hard to get a young person interested in an older Hot Rod, when that 20 something can get a 600 HP Challenger with a warranty. I have a co-worker who did just that. He took it to the drags and ran low 11's on street tires. That's a bit quicker than a lot of the older Hot Rods I've seen.

However, older Hot Rods beat the hell out of the newer cars in the style department.

trollst and chevy57dude like this.
  25. George

George

Yup, a repeat of the mid 60s Muscle car era putting the brakes on hot rods.

26. I know the game was changed when the Detroit super cars hit the market, but I do know a lot of guys like me who raised their sons as gearheads. My son and I, installed a blower on his O/T pickup, and he is also working on a 47 International pickup. He is hooked!
    I remember the late sixties as a time when I could find the engine/tranny combination I wanted for a swap just by calling the insurance adjusters. I found some real jewels that way.
    Bob

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. 60Pioneer

60Pioneer

I wouldn't be too worried about the fate of the hobby. My 20 something coworker bought a new Camaro in 2016. Couple of key strokes on the laptop and some e85 had it running 10.7s in the 1/4. It's been parked for almost 4 years now. Nothing wrong with it, he just got bored with. He's still making payments! Talk to him about old hot rods or show him something with pie crust slicks and his eyes light up. Anyways.... Jeff, love the blog, but where's the updates on your amazing Pretender? Driving it yet? How bout some pics?

chryslerfan55 likes this.