Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest When did the "band" break up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jul 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think that its the puff syndrome. "Gilded wings and giant things make way for other toys."

Everyone changes, their likes their dislikes. I remember one of the originals when I first got on here left to build AC Cobra kit cars for example. I didn't get it and I like cobras but it made him happy.

I guess for some of us to stay static is OK and for others it is just on to bigger 'n' better things.

luckythirteenagogo likes this.
  2. heminh2o

heminh2o
    from Tulare, CA

As an FNG, I do look for builders on here. And I would argue that traditional isn't dying down at all. If that were the case a lot of the builders may still be here, but now may be so busy there isn't the time.

I'm not big on the," what color wheels" threads either, but it lets me see some cars and those guys are probably fishing for acceptance anyway.

As a new guy I am still somewhat confused on a lot of things, but I have figured out a direction. I must say I am not totally sure what it's classified as though. If you swap out a dash in a model A coupe then is traditional or a custom? Can a hemi be considered traditional as well as a flathead?

I look at guys like Bass and Casney to see how to execute something and then find I don't have the skills yet. I imagine that I missed a lot of good builders along the way, but you might find that a 20 year old with a models A might be the next Gambino or Oz.

Take the lead and keep us interested and informed...there are too many unfinished projects in the for sale section because some young guy didn't know what a reversed eye was for a front end....

My $.02

volvobrynk and Dog_Patch like this.
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Theres way too many rat rods here and people who think an international truck could ever be a traditional hotrod.

Also its really irritating to get logged off in less than a minute

X38 and wbrw32 like this.
  4. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Instagram is for wanna be, self proclaimed artists.

Facebook is for self important, insecure Millennials that crave reinforcement from like minded people that they are relevant.

They can both cram it with walnuts. I'm staying put.

5. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Casny has published build topics on his roadster and his Merc, which is currently running.

HAMB is still the best hot rod magazine.

ynottayblock likes this.
  6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I have sat and read and watched many a posts for years. I usually agreed with the poster(s) so I felt my words were not necessary or relevant. Who would want to hear from a hack: builder, photographer, writer. I was also somewhat miffed that because of the HAMB I could no longer sell my how-to articles to the mags as it was free here. But I got over it, then he HAMB tech disappeared.
    But now I have replied to some posts and some have liked what I have added to the mix. Maybe even one day I will start a post that wont jump to page three.

cully33 likes this.
  7. Kinky6

Kinky6

I'll accept that YOU don't care about the merits of a 700R4. And I'll accept that there may be plenty more that agree w/ you.

However, I've also seen plenty of posts where someone has been able to use a traditional '50's engine, backed up by a 700R4, and been able to turn it into a long-distance running rod or custom while turning less than 2000 rpm @ 70+mph. I won't try and tell you that its a traditional transmission, but if it helps put a traditional looking ride out on the highway, that's O.K.

Not everybody on here is going to be able to live w/ a '39 Ford stick trans, or a '37 Packard for that matter. Some guys on here are at the point in life where using a clutch in their "traditional" ride is no longer an option. As long as we all know the difference, and can appreciate the real vintage stuff for what it is, that, I think, is enough. K6

8. Downtime

Downtime

There is also those of us too poor to pay for all the old gear and we were born too late to get it when it was cheap. I've been lurking on here for 10 years now. Read it almost daily, never post as my ride doesn't fit. Still some good info to be had though.

ehdave, trailerpark and Rustomiser like this.
  9. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Most of the people mentioned in the first few posts lean more towards custom cars as I remember.
    This site has become primarily a hot rod site as evidenced by the fact that traditional hot rod posts outnumber traditional custom posts somewhere in the neighborhood of 4:1.
    Could be that those people got frustrated and left.
    I like a good hot rod thread every once and a while, but the main reason I'm here is for the customs, and I have to admit, my interest has been waning for the past year or so.

K13 and Special Ed like this.
  10. F&J

F&J

What is the focus here..hanging with old members or seeing/building old hot rods and customs?

pay attention to the view counts. I know one moderator has said that before.

This thead has 2200 views right now. Tucks A coupe barn find with a 394 only has 800, and was posted a few hours before this thread... So simple math says most people here don't give a toot about old rods. Case Closed

so, exactly WHAT do people actually WANT to look at on hamb?

11. any one that thinks this place is bad should go to corvetteforum.com or trifive.com. i'm not saying that they are bad sites, just that they are heavily moderated and very PC. and there are questions like "what are the torque specs for a valve cover bolt" or "how many bow ties can i add to my chevy?". i wonder how far that direction this place will go.

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The 'missing in action' group were all appreciated members of this forum and their departure is noted.
    Nonetheless, as has been said in prior posts, people move on for a variety of reasons. Of the thousands of forum members that remain, however, there are many, many talented and knowledgeable folks whose participation is a treasure trove of information.

I am a HAMB 'Junkie', and expect to remain so until some unexpected event changes that.

Ray

Bam.inc, SR100, i.rant and 4 others like this.
  13. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Most of the people mentioned that are "gone", mostly posted show pics and events, which is alot easier to do on Instagram and facebook. I do miss Bad Bob's coverage, as he went everywhere as was entertaining in his write ups. However you can find event coverage of any event by doing a simple internet search. What the Hamb provides is in depth build threads, which you dont get with Facebook or Instagram. That is something Casny still provides here, he hasnt gone anywhere...he still posting stuff we are all in awe with, and we are glad for it. I do wish Alex Gambino still posted here more, as custom guys are outnumbered here on the Hamb and any contributor to the custom section is aces in my book. But all in all, the Hamb has always had an overturn in contributors/posters over the years...sure you miss certain people when they disappear, but there is always another talented builder ready to fill in.

SDhotrod likes this.
  14. I think that if anyone left because some of the fellas run late model transmissions they would have left a long time ago. 5 speeds and 700rs have been around here as long as I have. The HAMB has never been pure and it never will be.

I think Ryan was trying to address the Custom V Hot Rod issue when he created separate forums for each. I am not sure that Plow Boy even fits into a category, his cars are not true customs in the strictest sense or hot rods in the strictest sense.

We can all have ideas why someone is no longer here but the only real way to find out is to go to the source.

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Just click that box that says "Stay Logged In" next time you log in.

16. The big difference that no one seems to want to acknowledge is the deliberate segregation of build styles that came with the new version. And that segregation of build styles ends up segregating people.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    AHotRod likes this.
  17. 117harv

117harv

To ad to F&J, this thread is now "featured"? I also remember someone posting awhile back that this place is like a family, and the people/members were what it's about?

Look at the posters on this thread, some I have never seen since I joined in 09. I don't think it's a stretch to say the HRP is the top poster, I'm probably in the top 20 and there are probably 50 regular posters that seem to keep the board moving with a 1/4 million members? Now I have also seen posts calling other members post whores, yes some post a lot, but whether the post is info or praise it keeps the site moving. If I can add some info or help with a members question I do, many here have a lots of early car info but rarely share. The site is only as good as it's members, be it sharing builds, info or just a few kind words.

As for the comment on customs, the 4 to 1 seems about right, here and in the real world. At any show that seems to be the same ratio, the hotrod just seems to be more popular. I like them both, but custom guys not sharing or visiting the site less will only widen the ratio here. I like everyone else here like build or tech. threads, if you are taking on a project big or small and you think it may help others or just make for a great read, by all means post it and keep this place fresh and moving.

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My recent observation to self....I contribute to a post and find it being repeated by others that don't read the whole thread, why should I bother? So there are many times I don't.. Technical reply's can be real stupid; i.e. not relevant to the "issue" and posted just to talk or create more problems if they can?..I used to never get past the first page but now get up as far as seven, not sure why exactly but maybe because of three forums segregating peoples taste/interest [re post 77]....?? Some huff and puff [ooh, a tough guy-woo-woo] about doing a search when it would take less typing to just answer the question..Factual criticism not appreciated if it complicates a suedo/theme build...I must be getting dementia, people post praise and I see ugly, I do get my greens and blues mixed up but I do red ok..Lot of good comments in previous posts if one reads them all..Facebook to me is a place for acquaintances, real friends are seen in person or by calling on the phone every few weeks..Instagram I never knew what it was but do now from previous posts, don't think I'm going there..:rolleyes:

Dave50 and gas & guns like this.
  19. What's that mean, and how'd it happen?

20. I'm a post whore. I doubt that anyone in "the band" really cared. I could give an explanation for my post count but it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. If I want to post I post and if I don't I don't.

Sometimes I post about things that I have no idea what the answer is. I post some BS and then someone else posts. I learned a long time ago that a HAMB thread is like an old well pump, it has to be primed. I know that if someone asks a question and then has to bump the thread and still no one posts that someone will try and prove me wrong if nothing else.

i.rant, metlmunchr, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  21. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Let me start by saying that I am an "information junkie" on many levels & in so MANY directions (often all at once! LOL!!!) To me the prime value of the HAMB is that I can gain new information from the site at almost any time & on almost any subject : I can learn about things that I'll likely never see in person & be able to interact with & pick the brains of people that I'll probably never meet. I thank the moderators for this site, even when I 'bitch' about things getting 'banned'! Their house ; their rules!

i.rant and Hnstray like this.
  22. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From what I've gathered the "featured" feature, is a internal computer generated deal; based on # of views or responses a thread gets in regards to how long it's been on?

23. THX boss

24. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your welcome, but I ain't nobody's boss...cept maybe my dog...sometimes!

25. flynstone

flynstone

I still come here cause its old school... I think ryan hit the nail on the head...staying on track with forum rules, it was cool to see diff things like the guy building the motor home otta a old airplane, using late model stuff that is safer but not seen, (closed hood) ect, ect, ...but not within the rules, for me that's too bad, also you have to move your pic's you cant download them out of your album kinda a pain.. then there are the guys who tell ya how to spell or punctuate..... but it's still old hot rod's and stuff, too kewl.....I have not done the twitter yet everyone say's to go there , I tried once and could not figure it out, just gotta give it time and learn, it is easy im sure....... I do love facebook, gonna have to look up some of the old gang, if they will friend me, lol...did just rec friend denise.....but face book is more around the persons life not the cool weird shit we used to see here, plane motor homes, blown bugs, some off topic cool stuff.......one small rant family dying, dogs dying, or real sick peeps not on topic but allowed, and some on topic stuff deleted?

26. If I might add my two cents to the conversation...
    I admit I am a Newbie, only been here since March, so I don't know how the old site operated.
    I've subscribed to other auto-related message boards in the past, but none of them can hold a candle to the HAMB.
    I have already gleaned more automotive knowledge and information in four months here than in the prior fourteen elsewhere. This place is filled with brilliant Craftspeople and Artists-- mechanics and tin-benders, painters and photographers, engineers and writers, I am constantly astounded by the Quality of work to be found here.
    I for one am very glad to have found this site. I'm 46, so age-wise I'm right in the middle between the tech-savvy millennials and the tech-challenged boomers. I am on Facebook daily, and while I don't have an Instagram, I know enough about it to know I don't care for it. I can't fathom how either could take HAMB's place. Long live the HAMB!

luckythirteenagogo and Bam.inc like this.
  27. I for one am happy to be here and to have this amazing resource at my fingertips. It costs me nothing. I have met some really great people here and have even made a few friends. It is wonderful source of entertainment and I have laughed my ass off on many occasions. When I need to know something, the HAMB membership is a wellspring of knowledge. This is a site full of renaissance men (and women) whose knowledge and "know-how" far outstrips that of the average population and most folks here seem to be very generous with sharing their knowledge and their experience. We have new members all the time, some are experienced and some are eager to learn. This community, like any community, is in a constant state of change. It is through us, the members, that this happens. It is what we make it. If some of members who used to post have left for some reason then that is up to them. Life circumstances change, people change, and nothing stays the same. Would we really want it to? You can long for the good old days but to ignore all that this place offers right now, with it's current active members, is just ingratitude. Be happy we have this place to connect with so many others about our shared interest. We've had some good times but there are more to come. Sit at the table with your comrades and eat, drink...and enjoy.

cully33, Bam.inc, LOST ANGEL and 4 others like this.
  28. A victim of it's own success. And not just the hamb but the definition of the word traditional. The words become more of a marketing phrase.

I don't think most of the old timers quit the band completely, I think they check in on occasion but for whatever reason choose not to post. It's a new crowd now with a different view both on the hamb and in the whole hot rod/custom scene.

Seems we've got a little more main stream here but maybe that's not so bad either.

29. seatex

seatex

I still love the HAMB, but the PC shit is creepin in...........and fix the picture posting shit already, will 'ya????

30. THIS*** never made any fucking sense to me. There's a lot of sorrow in the world. Is the HAMB really the place to share it? NO!

X38, hotroddon, dos zetas and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.